Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Captain Kirk is not the Right Man for UM

Reported by a Michigan blog that is aghast that Ferentz is being considered:

The original Register story by Lee Hood is no longer available on the web, but here's a key excerpt from Nexis:
    Iowa City, Ia. - University of Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz, who earned $1,950,000 last year, lives in a $946,000 house -one advantage of being the state government's highest-paid employee. Ferentz's son, Brian, a football player for the Hawkeyes, lived dirt-cheap this past school year in an apartment complex that was built for the poor - an advantage of being a college student with little or no income in the eyes of the federal government.

But as a full-scholarship athlete, Brian Ferentz receives free tuition, and the university also pays him $406 a month for housing and $298 a month for food and other college expenses.

Ferentz is not the only student to avail himself of taxpayer-subsidized housing.

Roughly 200 U of I students, including dozens of athletes, lived this past school year in apartments in Iowa City that are intended for needy families, elderly people and people with disabilities.
    Ferentz essentially refused to speak to the Register for the story, saying that it was his understanding many students were taking advantage of a loophole in Federal regulations (a loophole that was changed as a result of the Register's coverage) and living in subsidized housing
    Hey, everybody's doing it!

Is that the kind of leadership Schembechler would have been proud of?

Does Michigan really need to hire a guy with this kind of baggage who, incidentally, can't beat Western Michigan at home?

Link:
    MLive.com: Everything Michigan

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 568
    Given: 357

Re: Ferentz's Family Steal From the Poor

Man...I hope this whole thing is legit. The meltdown by two Big 10 schools would be too much fun to watch!

KF would suck the first couple years at Michigan, they'd want him canned. Then, he'd win big in year 3 or 4 - including a 30-point win over OSU. Michigan fans would love up on him, put him on their shoulders and call him the best ever.

After a couple years of winning, he'd lose some games - a few consecutive losses to OSU. Home losses to Northwestern and Michigan State. Wolverine fans would call for his head, blame his assistants and call him a mediocre coach.

Meanwhile, in Iowa City, a coaching search commences and Iowa hires Chuck Long...the savior and golden boy that got a "raw deal" in San Diego. He wins a couple games early, Hawk fans put him in the CFB HOF.

However, a few years in he losses to ISU and UNI in consecutive weeks, then goes to Michigan and gets pounded by 40. They want him canned and claim he wasn't even that good of a QB when he was at Iowa anyways.

Good stuff.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 11-26-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 47

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Reported by a Michigan blog that is aghast that Ferentz is being considered:

The original Register story by Lee Hood is no longer available on the web, but here's a key excerpt from Nexis:
    Iowa City, Ia. - University of Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz, who earned $1,950,000 last year, lives in a $946,000 house -one advantage of being the state government's highest-paid employee. Ferentz's son, Brian, a football player for the Hawkeyes, lived dirt-cheap this past school year in an apartment complex that was built for the poor - an advantage of being a college student with little or no income in the eyes of the federal government.

But as a full-scholarship athlete, Brian Ferentz receives free tuition, and the university also pays him $406 a month for housing and $298 a month for food and other college expenses.

Ferentz is not the only student to avail himself of taxpayer-subsidized housing.

Roughly 200 U of I students, including dozens of athletes, lived this past school year in apartments in Iowa City that are intended for needy families, elderly people and people with disabilities.
    Ferentz essentially refused to speak to the Register for the story, saying that it was his understanding many students were taking advantage of a loophole in Federal regulations (a loophole that was changed as a result of the Register's coverage) and living in subsidized housing
    Hey, everybody's doing it!

Is that the kind of leadership Schembechler would have been proud of?

Does Michigan really need to hire a guy with this kind of baggage who, incidentally, can't beat Western Michigan at home?

Link:

What's KF's record against Michigan? Not bad, is it?

Anyway - for a Michigan blog to critique iowa's troubles seems a little disingenuous. How many of the Fab 5 cashed checks?

Jeesh - did I just defend iowa?

I think KF is a good coach and a pretty good guy - that thing about the public housing aside. I really don't see him having as much trouble at Michigan with players, because he'd have his pick and not lower his standards as much as he might at iowa. Michigan is one of a handful of schools that recruits itself. iowa, despite their fan's dillusions, doesn't have that luxury.

Even though ISU has had good success against iowa, I'd still like to see KF leave. 1) I think he'll get things turned around there and take too many from us and 2) I'm relatively confident that if he went to a Michigan, he'd have good to great success there - and hawkdom would just go crazy. Especially after their (near) yearly ***** whipping at his hands.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 931

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Even though ISU has had good success against iowa, I'd still like to see KF leave. 1) I think he'll get things turned around there and take too many from us and 2) I'm relatively confident that if he went to a Michigan, he'd have good to great success there - and hawkdom would just go crazy. Especially after their (near) yearly ***** whipping at his hands.
    And that's as good of a reason to see him go as any...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Right.

I think KF is a good coach. I think when he won in those 3 years, he did forget a little about what got him there - hard work, blue-collared teams. Have not seen much of that from his teams the last couple years. IMO, he has to have learned from that.

If so, and he ends up in Ann Arbor, he'll do just fine up there with the unlimited resources and talent.

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

There are lots of loopholes at the University of Iowa, especially in the athletic dept.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,459
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 305
    Given: 138

Quote Originally Posted by letsgostate View Post
    There are lots of loopholes at the University of Iowa, especially in the athletic dept.
    There are no loopholes, just holes. Loopholes indicates that there are rules written to be adventagious to the situation. They just ignore things.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 13

Captain Kirk is not the Right Man for UM

According to this article, (Is Ferentz really a character fit for Michigan?) Ferentz shouldn't even be considered as a coach at Michigan....

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Captain Kirk is not the Right Man for UM

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 69

i agree. he needs to keep iowa mediocre, not go turn michigan there. he should also consider bill callahan as an assistant.

Husker Hater

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I didn't think of it, and forget who used the phrase first, but Kirk Ferentz is "Morally Vacant." That's how his kid can steal from the poor and Kirkie is just fine with it, yet lots of people think he's "a good guy". It also explains how outright criminals and thugs appear to run the team.

Kirkie baby would do a better job in the Pros, where drugs and sex crimes are "A-OK".

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Less than flattering article about Ferentz from "The Ann Arbor News"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 142

Re: Less than flattering article about Ferentz from "The Ann Arbor News"

Interesting reading the comments at the bottom of the article. A hawk fan actually says that the DMrag favors Iowa State which totally blows me away. I would imagine they are probably better in sports then either side will give them credit for, but as for politics and ag related info the rag is worthless.

It's also funny how the hawk fan speaks more of the rag and other media outlet not giving Ferentz and his thugs a fair shake instead of responding to the facts presented and/or Ferentz's decision to ignore the facts and not comment on them.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Less than flattering article about Ferentz from "The Ann Arbor News"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    Interesting reading the comments at the bottom of the article. A hawk fan actually says that the DMrag favors Iowa State which totally blows me away. I would imagine they are probably better in sports then either side will give them credit for, but as for politics and ag related info the rag is worthless.

It's also funny how the hawk fan speaks more of the rag and other media outlet not giving Ferentz and his thugs a fair shake instead of responding to the facts presented and/or Ferentz's decision to ignore the facts and not comment on them.
    Exactly. Apparently, the hawk fan doesn't realize that the Rag wasn't hating on Iowa because they have an "anti-Iowa bias," but was just calling a spade a spade. Stupid hawk fans. Trying to reason with them is the most futile endeavor in the history of man.