Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Toyota 4 Runner

I'm thinking about buying an older (read high mileage) 4 Runner and am wondering if anyone owns or has any experience in this arena? I don't want to spend over $15k so I'm likely looking at a vehicle with 80k+ miles on it. I already own a 2000 Camry with nealry 200k miles and it has run like a champ. So I'm thinking a 4 Runner with 100k miles on it wouldn't be too bad. Thoughts?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 116

Re: Toyota 4 Runner

All depends on how the guy who had it for the first 80,000 miles treated it. Toyota's are pretty dependable vehicles and it really helps if you are somewhat mechanically minded to fix the minor things. You can usually tell if they have been rough on it, dings, more scratches then normal, any vibrations going down the road in 2wd and 4wd. Put the thing in 4wd and turn it as tight as you can and go in a circle. If it fights you and the tires bark(on pavement) at you that means it should be pretty tight as well as shows you it works. I wouldn't have any problem with that vehicle with those miles but then again, I have a 98 ZR2 truck with 187,000 miles and would definitely do it again.

PM me if you have any more questions and I can help you as much as I can.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 478

Quote Originally Posted by rd4isu View Post
    I'm thinking about buying an older (read high mileage) 4 Runner and am wondering if anyone owns or has any experience in this arena? I don't want to spend over $15k so I'm likely looking at a vehicle with 80k+ miles on it. I already own a 2000 Camry with nealry 200k miles and it has run like a champ. So I'm thinking a 4 Runner with 100k miles on it wouldn't be too bad. Thoughts?
    Haven't owned one but everything that I've heard says that they are a good vehicle. I believe the Lexus GX series is based on the 4 runner and they are $50K vehicles.

The downsides

Expensive to fix
    I've been in one and the interior is a little outdated
    Bad gas mileage-even for an SUV if you get the V8

Have you considered the Honda Pilot? They have a more car like ride.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Thanks for the info fellas.

I have thought about a Honda Pilot but wasn't sure about interior space. The primary function of our current SUV is tailgating and hauling large items.

Rookie
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by rd4isu View Post
    Thanks for the info fellas.

I have thought about a Honda Pilot but wasn't sure about interior space. The primary function of our current SUV is tailgating and hauling large items.
    I have a 2001 4runner and it is going great at 120kmi. Only issue I've ever had is that once a few years ago I had to turn the key twice. I'm not a car expert, but I am 30+ and an engineer so I have a clue about cars.

It is no-nonsense and sharp looking. Much better looking than the newer models, IMHO. If you get one with running boards, take them off immediately for an immediate aesthetic upgrade.

New design (post 02?) models do have A LOT more HP on V6 for better mileage and offer a V8. 2nd to last gen (92ish-02ish) have a lack of towing capability, but it can get the job done for midsized trailers and boats.

Love the Toyota cruise control interface. 1000x better than GM's stupid slider.

I think the Pilot has better interior space, but it also looks more like a crossover, and thus a 4wd car or a minivan. The 4R does great off road for me while hunting and in the snow.

4Runner also has an indispensible roll down rear gate window which is money if you have a dog. Roll that thing down a bit for Fido, and you also won't mess up your hair when you open the side windows due to suction. Because of that back window I may never own another kind of car.

No beef whatsoever with maintenance costs. All I've done is change fluids and that's the same at jiffy lube as anything else in its class.

As my family mechanic once said "pick a shiny one and enjoy."