Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 10

Officiating question

Not a big deal and sorry if this has already been discussed, but just before halftime KU had the ball and there were 6 seconds between the game and shot clocks, so we were going to get the ball back. Babb knocked the ball loose with about 20 seconds left, it bounced off the KU player and was going out of bounds when Babb dove for the ball, knocked it back toward the court and to a KU player. The ref raised his hand and circled it, and they shut off the shot clock so KU got the last shot. By rule shouldn't we have had to regain control of the ball before they restarted the shot clock (or shut it off in this situation just before half)? I can't imagine the ref thinking that diving for a ball rolling out of bounds and blindly shoving it back onto the court constitutes control.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 20

Re: Officiating question

I thought the same thing when it happened. It didn't matter in the end as Kansas still shot the ball before the shot clock would have expired.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 340

On top of that, they called over-and-back on us after a KU defender batted the ball into our backcourt. Just two of many questionable calls last night.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    On top of that, they called over-and-back on us after a KU defender batted the ball into our backcourt. Just two of many questionable calls last night.
    Bubu could of prevented that if he would have just picked up the damn the ball. I don't know why he decided to wait until the ball was in the backcourt.

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 110

Official determined that we had possession of the ball. Dumb.
    Major problem with this call. Think it killed any chance of us having moment going into the half. Not sure if it would have made a difference in the long run but that whole deal was just stupid.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,009
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanj6502 View Post
    I thought the same thing when it happened. It didn't matter in the end as Kansas still shot the ball before the shot clock would have expired.
    True, though it would have been close to the shot clock expiring and may have put a little more pressure on the shooter. But it's another case of a pretty basic mistake being made by a Big 12 official, I think it was Higgins in this case.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 16

Officiating was fine. Palo should have known that was a bang bang play and just walked his *** over and grabbed the ball instead of assuming that the official had the call. We complain about officials more than any fanbase in the country.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyededric View Post
    Officiating was fine. Palo should have known that was a bang bang play and just walked his *** over and grabbed the ball instead of assuming that the official had the call. We complain about officials more than any fanbase in the country.
    Agree BuBu should have grabbed the ball but he obviously thought it was tipped by KU. And I seriously doubt we complain any more about officials than any other fan base when they think they have got the short end on officiating. I haven't seen anybody on here blaming the loss on the officials, just complaining about some of the calls that so often seem to go KU's way in Big 12 games. And by the way even the national sports media has commented about that, especially after our home loss to KU.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 17

Exactly. Bubu should have never put the official in the position to make a call regarding if KU touched it. He let it bounce over before getting it. Don't put yourself in that situation.

As for the other call, the ref obviously thought Babb had control over it. It looked like to me Babb kind of palmed to palmed and tried to pass it back in with one hand. Hard to tell exactly because it happened at the bottom of the court and view was blocked by scorers table.

The problem going forward is we had one very erroneous call that the whole sports world saw and said was bad/wrong. Now our fan base is going to question every single call.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 39

Disagree. Check out Iowa's or even K-State boards.

Rookie
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 22

One more question and this is more general then just the KU games. I call that my dad would complain about this call all the time while I was growing up and I don't think I have seen it called a single time this year. Is there a 3 second in the lane rule any more? Not really a reason for our loss, but Whithey spent a lot of time in the lane, so was just wondering?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Maybe so, but still bad call again by the nation's ref combine. Refs are getting worse this year.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 289

KU fans complain about officiating just as much as we do, but they get more calls than anyone.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by megamanxzero35 View Post
    Exactly. Bubu should have never put the official in the position to make a call regarding if KU touched it. He let it bounce over before getting it. Don't put yourself in that situation.

As for the other call, the ref obviously thought Babb had control over it. It looked like to me Babb kind of palmed to palmed and tried to pass it back in with one hand. Hard to tell exactly because it happened at the bottom of the court and view was blocked by scorers table.

The problem going forward is we had one very erroneous call that the whole sports world saw and said was bad/wrong. Now our fan base is going to question every single call.
    I said I agreed that BuBu should have grabbed it, but I think it was close to mid-court and he didn't want to risk grabbing it and having his momentum carrying him over the line for a back court violation, so he erronously assumed the official would make the correct call, shame on him. And I don't know about your tv but on mine, Babb was clearly trying to save the ball from going out of bounds when he dove for it and shoved it back to the center of the court directly to a KU player. How an official could rule we had gained control of the ball is quite a stretch. And you saw one bad call at the end of the KU game in Ames? How about what was obviously Withey's 5th foul that was given to Young, the obvious charge on Johnson that wasn't called, and the phantom foul call on Niang that sent Johnson to the line to tie the game. Those are 3 off the top of my head at the end of that game. Again nobody is blaming this loss on the officials, just that KU continues to get well taken care of in Big 12 play and even some in the national sports media have pointed that out.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 260

Quote Originally Posted by milrtym View Post
    One more question and this is more general then just the KU games. I call that my dad would complain about this call all the time while I was growing up and I don't think I have seen it called a single time this year. Is there a 3 second in the lane rule any more? Not really a reason for our loss, but Whithey spent a lot of time in the lane, so was just wondering?
    The rule is there but there are many caveats that give a lot of discretion to the officials and also make it very misunderstood.

If the offense is attacking the basket and the official believes a shot is imminent, the count "suspends." For example, if a player was in the lane for a couple seconds and then his teammate drives to the hole with the ball, it is acceptable by rule for him to stay in the lane and assume a rebounding position. If his buddy pulls it back out at the last second he'd better get his butt out.

If a player is surrounded by defenders the count suspends because he is "trapped" in the lane.

Most officials try to talk guys out of the lane. If I see a player who's been in there a couple seconds I start yelling at him to "keep moving" or just "get out, get out." They usually respond. If they don't, you've got to do something about it. But most players listen and I've actually gone entire seasons without calling it.

I'm probably over-complicating things with my answer. What it really comes down to is, is a guy gaining an advantage from it or not? If his left big toe is in the lane three seconds is he really gaining an advantage from that?

In short, the rule is still on the books but it is kind of treated as a guideline rather than a hard and fast rule. Believe me, as bad as some of the officiating has been that I've seen lately, you don't want officials making three seconds a priority.

Last edited by ruxCYtable; 03-16-2013 at 06:13 PM.