KFitzy87

High School Sporting Memories (Non-Sporting)

Okay, for a Friday off-topic thread idea... I thought of something that I have fond memories of from high school.....

Lots of you probably played sports (I did too), and while there are many memories that are made on the field/court/track/course/mat, there are also many that are made with your teammates and coaches along the way during practices or traveling to events. Those are the stories I'm looking for!

For me, almost all of these certain types of memories come from being on the golf squad...

My freshman year we had our sectionals meet at Toad Valley golf course in Runnels(?). Since the meet started at 9am or something like that, our team was set up to stay in the Sleep Inn in Pleasant Hill right off of the four lane/University, as we had over an hour drive that we didn't want to take in the morning. The night before the meet, all of us guys leave our coach in one of the rooms in the hotel and make our way down to the pool. Feeling the need for some water basketball, we decide to make use of the items around us... So we grab about 6 rolls of toilet paper and a trash can from the bathroom and proceed to take them into the pool with us. After about ten minutes of attempting to shoot the soaking wet rolls of toilet paper into the trash can, the toilet paper rolls start to disintegrate in the pool... About this time, we start playing dodgeball instead of basketball. After two minutes of this, the walls and windows are just covered with bits of wet toilet paper and we decide that maybe we should get out... Once we all get out of the pool and get our towels, we turn around and look into the pool, only to see that it is FILLED with pieces of toilet paper everywhere... So after we not-so-inconspicuously run past the front desk in our trunks, the hotel employees determine that we must have been the ones to leave the pool this way, and they hunt down our coach... Later that night we got our ***** chewed of course... But it was definitely worth it. And by the way, the next day we all played like **** lol. I think our best score was an 83 or something like that.

Okay, moving onto sophomore year on the golf team... One of my best friends (Jake) and I just arrived at our home course before practice one day and get the idea to go snooping/fooling around in one of our teammate's (Kevin) vehicles, since he always leaves it unlocked... Sure enough, we find some condoms stashed away in his center panel. I then come up with the idea to take it out and put it on the shift lever of his car... About two hours later after nine holes of golf, my buddy and I are finishing up on #9's green with our coach and another guy on the team (Dillon)... Kevin comes storming from the parking lot onto the green yelling "WHO DID IT?"... First, he asks Dillon, who honestly had no idea who did it... Then he asks me, but I kept a straight face like a champ... Then he looked at Jake, who can't help but grin and say it was me... But Kevin didn't believe him and charges at him and they start to wrestle... Note: this is on a day that it rained all morning, and there are puddles/mud everywhere... After Kevin decides he has taught Jake a lesson, he starts walking back towards his car in the parking lot... Then, Jake comes out of nowhere from behind and lays out Kevin straight into a huge mud puddle. I will never forget that image! Best part of all of this is our coach is encouraging the fight the whole time... He's an awesome dude...

Another sweet moment from sophomore year is that before our conference tournament, on the way to the tourney which is another town about an hour away, Coach calls ahead to make sure he has the times right... Well, he didn't have the times right, and we were due to tee off in 30 minutes with a 45 minute drive left... The good thing was, this was pretty early in the morning, so there were very few cars on the road; so Coach drove an average of 100 mph and ran 2 red lights after he found out we were late... And we made it on time! (but unfortunately missed getting a warm-up )... He always had the luck of never running into any cops on the way to meets...

Now onto junior year... We have the same team as my sophomore year, since we didn't have anyone graduate... We made it to state as a team this year and the course for state golf was Lake Panorama in Panora... We stayed in the hotel that is right next to the course, at the end of the driving range. At midnight of the night before the first day of the tournament, we sneak out onto the driving range to collect as many golf balls as we can so we wouldn't have to pay for them in the morning... We end up putting them all into this huge trash can (think the size that you put out at the end of your driveway for the garbage man to pick up), and haul that back into the hotel with us. Our rooms were right at the top of the stairs in there, and just when we about have the huge trash can full of probably close to a thousand golf balls up the stairs... It clips the top stair, topples over, and 1000 golf balls go spilling wildly and loudly down the hall way. Our coach (again, awesome dude) was asleep coming up to this, but woke up when he heard the racket in the hallway... He came out of his room and the first thing out of his mouth was, "You guys better be getting some practice out of this... Grab a wedge and a putter"... We then proceed to putt and chip the balls back into the trash can in the middle of the hallway. Ah, good times...

Then came senior year... Our team again made it to state... While on the way to the second day of the tourney from our hotel which was about 15 minutes away from the course (Spring Valley), our mini-trailer comes unhitched from our Chevy Suburban on the highway... Fortunately, the trailer was still attached to the vehicle due to a couple of chains that were also connected... So basically this thing is dragging on the pavement behind us, shooting up many sparks in the process. All of the guys on the team notice immediately, but Coach didn't... So we end up rolling about 2 or 3 football fields before someone says something... There ended up being a huge line right down the middle of the lane on the highway from where this thing was dragging...

Other stories I've heard from golf teams prior to ours... Once they were driving back from a meet that they shot terribly at, and a couple of the guys get absolutely ****** at each other and start full-on fist fighting in the vehicle... Coach stopped the vehicle and said they need to get out if they want to take care of business any more... So they end up wrestling/fighting on the shoulder of the highway for awhile and then Coach starts driving away... Not walking home was a good motivation for them to stop fighting, apparently.

Another one is Coach gunning the vehicle at an intersection and the back end flies open and all of the golf clubs/bags fall out...

And last, but not least... One of the guys apparently bought a cheeseburger before practice one day, took it behind a shed, and ****** on it... He then gave it to one of the nerdier guys on the team (he owed him a burger for losing in a putting contest), and watched him devour it. While telling me this story, the guy who ****** on it described the situation as, "I'll never forget seeing (that guy) take a bite and all of the 'juices' rolling off of that burger..."....... LOL

Cool story bro...

TL;DR...

Yeah, yeah

Let's hear yours!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 33

Re: High School Sporting Memories (Non-Sporting)

1405 words Fitzy! Let me read this at work tomorrow morning

My teams: (as of 9/20/13)
    Cleveland Browns: 0-2 - .000
    Cleveland Indians: 83-70 - .542
    Cleveland Cavs: 24-58 - .293
    Iowa State Cyclones (FB): 0-2 - .000

9/22/18 & 9/7/19
    Akron and Iowa State
    CAN'T WAIT!

KFitzy87

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post
    1405 words Fitzy! Let me read this at work tomorrow morning
    Writing is easy when you enjoy what you're writing about

Rookie
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

TlDR. I played soccer for ankeny. There was exactly 59 seconds on the clock until the end of the game. Tied zero to zero. We shoot the goalie punches it out I volley it into upper 90 right corner. We won 1-0. I lead the team in scoring oh those were the days!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 541

I read the first story Fitzy. I'd read the rest but I need to get my *** to bed.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

THREAD FAIL LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

KFitzy87

I just wanted to submit my essay for peer critique

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 162

ok, I read them all. Your jr. year story made me lol.

This isn't high school or sports, but I was on a team in college that had lots of shenanigans occur. My junior year, the four of us were supposed to meet at HyVee at like 5:30am to drive to eastern Iowa. Luckily (unluckily?) the senior team and coach were already gone since they were traveling on to a contest that night while we would be coming back to Ames.

I wake up to a phone call. My alarm never went off (this only happened twice in all of college) It's quarter to 6. It's one of my teammates, slightly panicked because he's the only one at Hy-Vee, and I'm the only one of the other three to answer my phone. I race around and get there just before 6am. Our 3rd teammate was sleeping over at the 4th's so she could party Friday night and not have to wake up on her own. The 4th lived right behind Hy-Vee, so we go over and start banging on the door. No response. Luckily, their upstairs neighbor (and friend) was leaving for her sports practice and she had a key to let us in. Go in and there's one teammate passed out, and another saying "oh ****! oh ****!" as her new bed partner tries to get dressed.

We all pile into the 4th teammates car + bed partner who is only a freshman without a car. We are running so late at this point, that instead of driving him back to MWL, we dropped him at the corner of Lincoln and University as he's still trying to do up his belt. Of course the car only had a quarter tank and we somehow made it to Grundy Center to get gas, avoided all the cops, and only showed up 3 minutes late. We walked in cool as cucumbers and never told our coach.

But man if we didn't laugh the whole way there about making poor freshman do the walk of shame down Lincoln.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Fitzy, why'd you do this to us...and on a Friday none-the-less!

Cyclone fan since 1964 and proud of it!

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

KFitzy87

Awe thanks for the responses, ladies and gentlemen... Glad you lol'd cowgirl

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 541

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    ok, I read them all. Your jr. year story made me lol.

This isn't high school or sports, but I was on a team in college that had lots of shenanigans occur. My junior year, the four of us were supposed to meet at HyVee at like 5:30am to drive to eastern Iowa. Luckily (unluckily?) the senior team and coach were already gone since they were traveling on to a contest that night while we would be coming back to Ames.

I wake up to a phone call. My alarm never went off (this only happened twice in all of college) It's quarter to 6. It's one of my teammates, slightly panicked because he's the only one at Hy-Vee, and I'm the only one of the other three to answer my phone. I race around and get there just before 6am. Our 3rd teammate was sleeping over at the 4th's so she could party Friday night and not have to wake up on her own. The 4th lived right behind Hy-Vee, so we go over and start banging on the door. No response. Luckily, their upstairs neighbor (and friend) was leaving for her sports practice and she had a key to let us in. Go in and there's one teammate passed out, and another saying "oh ****! oh ****!" as her new bed partner tries to get dressed.

We all pile into the 4th teammates car + bed partner who is only a freshman without a car. We are running so late at this point, that instead of driving him back to MWL, we dropped him at the corner of Lincoln and University as he's still trying to do up his belt. Of course the car only had a quarter tank and we somehow made it to Grundy Center to get gas, avoided all the cops, and only showed up 3 minutes late. We walked in cool as cucumbers and never told our coach.

But man if we didn't laugh the whole way there about making poor freshman do the walk of shame down Lincoln.

cowgirl, and shenanigans?, get out of here. :)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

I played tennis in HS (cue laugh track). We used to begin each year at a tourney in Marshalltown which began with about a two hour coaches meeting while we sat around with our thumbs up our *****. One year we decided we weren't going to just sit there so we stole the school van and went joy riding around the metropolis of Marshalltown. We were gone at least two hours and no one ever found out.

Legend
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I played tennis in HS (cue laugh track). We used to begin each year at a tourney in Marshalltown which began with about a two hour coaches meeting while we sat around with our thumbs up our *****. One year we decided we weren't going to just sit there so we stole the school van and went joy riding around the metropolis of Marshalltown. We were gone at least two hours and no one ever found out.
    I played tennis in high school because we got gym credit for it. I was number 9 on the team for 4 straight years, because the top 8 traveled and I never wanted to travel. Coach never figured out I was throwing matches. Plus tennis was during baseball season.