All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thanksgiving in Spain

My wife, daughters and me headed out to Chiclana, Spain for Thanksgiving, and all I gotta say is Wow!

Weather wasn't that hot, (70 and intermittent rain), but the beaches were OUTSTANDING! Evidently, in the south of Spain, the beaches are "open", with no private, fenced-off hoity-toity crap. Thanksgiving day was sunny, we played on the beach and had a great time; the day after T-giving was overcast, so we drove the hour to Gibralter.

First, Gib is British, and the traffic is insane, there. All the vans there have the sides crushed in from fitting down the narrow streets. The place is infested with Macaq Apes, so for the first 15 minutes, it's "Wow! Look at the cool monkeys!" and for the rest of the day it's, "Crap, there's some more of thost *&%$# apes!"

From the top of Gib, you can see into the Atlantic, the Med, and see the countries of Morocco and Algeria. We could hear the call to prayer, as well.

The food was incredible. We stayed at a resort, and because it was off-season, it was a little over $100 a day for the four of us, with breakfast and supper included, and the food was outstanding. It was truly gourmet food, so it cost more for an outsider to eat there, than for us to stay there and eat for free. Champagne for breakfast, with all sorts of native Spanish dishes.

Truly outstanding; I could go on for days. One funny story: When driving through Gibralter, the roads are so narrow, that we accidentally drove through someone's flippin' OFFICE that had large double doors that were open on both sides for ventilation. I guess it was originally a storehouse with room for a horse and wagon to go through, but you really couldn't tell, until we'd driven our car through it. Plus, the looks from the people sitting at their desks was just perfect.

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 40

Re: Thanksgiving in Spain

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    One funny story: When driving through Gibralter, the roads are so narrow, that we accidentally drove through someone's flippin' OFFICE that had large double doors that were open on both sides for ventilation. I guess it was originally a storehouse with room for a horse and wagon to go through, but you really couldn't tell, until we'd driven our car through it. Plus, the looks from the people sitting at their desks was just perfect.

Freaking Hilarious!!

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Walk On
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wife and I are headed to Malaga the first week in February for her Birthday. Thanks for the great trip report as we will be in the same area....well, south of Spain anyway :)

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by lmsoup View Post
    Wife and I are headed to Malaga the first week in February for her Birthday. Thanks for the great trip report as we will be in the same area....well, south of Spain anyway :)
    Malaga is just an hour away from where we were. Make a point of getting down to Gibralter, if you can. Rental cars are cheap; make sure you get an international driver's license before you go.

The food and drink in that area is unbelieveable. I think you'll enjoy your trip.

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts