Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 147

Twister Sister Summary - Ladies get hammered in first half...lose to Baylor

As I suspected, this Iowa State team started out without milking the shot clock on every possession. I think Bill wanted to see if our juggernaut offense could keep pace with Baylor. What we saw was a back and forth first few minutes with Iowa State making the most mistakes with 3 early turnovers. Yet, Baylor was missing their shots from outside and we weren't letting the Bears get second chance opportunities. Our first points were a pair of threes…both nothing but net by Anna and Hal.

As usual, the refs think Griner's s*** doesn't stink. She blocked Pop and then proceeded to take her out and no foul. Even the announcers took note of that one. Griner's presence is always felt in the middle. Even with Anna she alters shots. On the offensive end she would be all of Baylor's offense early.

ISU struggled after those three's with five turnovers. Baylor didn't capitalize on most fortunately. The Iowa State offense would go into an offensive funk as Baylor's defense cut off the passing lanes that have been so open throughout the tournament. I think we were well scouted. Baylor would go on a 17-0 run. The game plan seemed to revert back to the "use the entire shot clock" and resulted in a couple of shot clock violations and some wild last second shots. Just enough was working as it allowed Baylor to move out to a 19-6 lead 9 minutes in. ISU's offense was just non-existent. It was just turnover after turnover for the sisters as the Baylor defense ate them up. It would be 24-6 before the sisters got their next basket. And then the ladies would answer again to cut the lead to 24-11.

This was my worst nightmare and unfortunately what I thought we would see out of Baylor. The close call with OSU obviously was a wake up call to the Lady Bears. With five minutes left we had 12 turnovers and only 16 shot attempts. Baylor had 16 makes including 9 straight by Griner. A little side note - the officials were nearly refusing to call anything on Baylor. Some of the most obvious calls - one when Griner crushed Pop to the floor and another when Sims shoved Pop to the ground were no calls. Wow. Don't think it would have altered anything though.

This game was such domination that we tied the record for futility on offense with only 13 points. And our defense couldn't stop hardly anything Baylor tried. After the early 17-0 run Baylor would go on another big run to put this out of reach.

The final offensive play of the half was the epitome of our struggles. After a nice steal by Moody she put up a contested layup that sat on the back of the rim for 2-3 seconds and then rolled off. At the half Baylor would have 10 steals and shot 62% from the field. This game was all but over as the ladies tallied only 7 points in the final 17 and a 1/2 minutes of the half. Ugh.

The second half was about pride. There was no stopping Baylor's offense, but would our offense appear? Sims would score 9 quick points (yes all 3's) in the second half and it just got uglier. This was just a game we needed to get out off healthy and prepare for the big dance. There aren't many Baylors out there and this squad will do some real damage if their psyche isn't too damaged from this. Fortunately, they showed signs of life in the second stanza. Prins hit for 17 in that half. Moody looked sharper. Kidd was aggressive. It still wouldn't be enough. The low point of the second half was when Griner hooked Pop and slammed her to the floor (for the second time). Pop…yes Pop was called for the foul. Bill lost it and rightfully so. The officials stunk again. Final score Baylor 75-47.

Game Notes:

There weren't many highlights for this team after the first 2 minutes of the game other than Anna's effort in the second half. As the game started I thought this was going to be interesting and then our team got frazzled. They were tentative. There were times when players had open shots and stood like deer in headlights not doing anything. This is what Baylor can do to you when they are firing on all cylinders as they were tonight. I honestly thought we had a chance going into this one, but our front line was engulfed by the Baylor defense. They were as non-existent inside as they were at Baylor earlier this year.

I have to give Anna credit. She came alive in the second half and found a way to get some points. She was the star of the game for our ladies and I think that bodes well for the big dance.

When is the last time that you saw Pop shut down in this fashion? Yep…Baylor when they outscored us in the paint 50-0. She'll be back with a vengeance in the dance, that I am sure of.

I liked watching Kidd on the court. She is like the little badger in there. Small, but vicious and aggressive. She has come so far this year and I love watching her play.

Mulkey showed real class leaving her starters in with 6 minutes in the game. Griner doesn't come out until 4 minutes left just because she wanted to tie her championship game scoring record. Classy stuff Baylor.

Bill got a T after Griner got away with another slam of Pop. A hook a throw to the floor that was called as a foul on Pop. AMAZING. (Yes it was worth saying twice). A Baylor sign said it best. "You've been Grinered!" Well put.

Keep in mind, that this was a great run through the tournament for our ladies. They showed they were the real #2 team in the toughest conference in the country. This is a team that will do some real damage in the big dance. The fun is about to start. Get on for the ride before its too late.

Last edited by acoustimac; 03-11-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,235
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 450

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies get hammered in first half...lose to Baylor

glad that man has finally graduated from baylor.

Starter
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

I'll repeat it too, AMAZING what the refs let Griner get away with! Not that it was a game changer in this one, but it comes down to calling a fair game. One would think that the underdog would get the better end of fairness, but not when Griner is involved. That no call on Griner when she plowed Pop over, just ridiculous. They did end up calling contact after the block on Nikki's layup attempt, when Griner's body took her out at the knees. But calling the foul on Pop when it could have been a flagrant on Griner for an elbow above the shoulders, that really beat all.

That was a technical that Bill needed to get on behalf of his players. You knew that was the intent the minute he started to take his jacket off. Given how frustrating that stuff is to watch as a fan, can you imagine what it's like as a player or coach? I give our players SO MUCH CREDIT for their demeanor on the floor. All season, when they've had to deal with bad calls, they just keep playing without argument. So many players on other teams are poor sports about it. Griner is in disbelief when any call is made against her, as is Sims.

Did anyone notice that Bill was ready to walk by Mulkey without much of a handshake after the game? [edit: Reading the official game thread, yes, some of you noticed the same thing.] I think he was really ticked with her allowing them to shoot (and make) a final shot. Bill is so classy that way. He would take the shot clock violation rather than score another basket. He showed it in the wins over KU and OU. He put the subs in and basically let both teams cut the margin a bit to end the game. It's a show of respect for the opponent and the league. Conversely, Mulkey keeps her sixth man in until the last minute so she can score again. Does she not realize that she just hurt the league by running up the score on the #2 seed? It would have cost her team nothing to let the clock run out. They are the #1 team, nothing to gain there. Griner and Sims had already had a field day. Nothing to gain there. What is she out to prove? Just very low class against her own league. AMAZING.

Lastly, great game Anna, so impressed with your tenacity out there. Nikki, you never let up. Kidd, you added a creative element that we needed more of in this game. Didn't like the slow-down game plan, and I'm of the opinion that Hallie, Brynn and Pop are better when we open up the floor more. That's tough to do vs Baylor. Clearly Baylor came out with a vengeance. Just a tough situation all around.

THANKS TO THE TEAM FOR A COUPLE OF GREAT GAMES IN THE TOURNAMENT! There's more to come!!

Last edited by cydney; 03-11-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 182

That was the first time I have watched Brett Griener play, and well I cannot believe she never gets called for fouls on her blocks. I guess in her case if she gets some ball it isnt a foul no matter how hard she hits the shooter.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Walk On
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Mulkey!!! we iowa staters never forget anything. The big 12 coaches are ready to tango with u next yr!! Lets see how u can coach with out ur 5 seniors. I will probably be sending u a get well or simpathy card half way through ur season next yr.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

There's a reason none of the ballyhooed Baylor seniors are candidates for the Senior CLASS Award.

Vote for Pop!! Women's Basketball | Senior CLASS Award

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I take back what I said about no calls against Griner not being a game changer in this one. She ended with 3 fouls. That doesn't count either of the fouls she should have been called for on Pop, and those are just the most obvious, egregious ones. That's 5 fouls. She would have been on the bench early, limiting her impact both offensively and defensively, which would have been huge.

As some have said, the last thing the Big 12 wanted was Griner on the bench. The first no call could not have made that any clearer.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 502

I am not one to wish ill-will on a certain player or anything like that, but I really would not have been sorry had Griener had a season-ending injury during those "mop-up" minutes she played. Do you really want to risk an injury in a game that has already been decided? A truly smart coach would think about those things wouldn't s/he? So why didn't KM take Griener out? Well, I think she must have listened to Bill's post-game presser yesterday when he gushed about OU's program doing things the "RIGHT WAY." I think that he was implying that there are Big XII teams (BU cough! cough!) that don't do it the right way. I'm sure she took it personal and wanted to beat us as badly as she could.
    Here's hoping someone knocks them out of the Tourney!!

Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 58

I am different on one point from most, I can't blame players for what goes on in the league, the decisions that coaches make. I wish players well after the game is over. I don't feel like calling women, men or anything like that. You can say I don't have a sense of humor, but on some things, I think we should drop the sense of humor.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Legend
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,572
    Given: 611

Well if Coach Fen is letting them get hammered in the first half, it's no surprise we lost. Starting to wonder about the direction of this program. I mean, I didn't see the game, really...I don't care if you're going up against a co-ed team or not, you don't start drinking until the second half, at least.

Congrats to the team...I'll take 2nd when we're playing Barry Greiner and the girls.

*edit: Sorry mitten, didn't see that this had been declared a no juvenile humor thread.

Request point of clarification...can I still make the 'hammered' joke if I don't make the Brittany Greiner joke? If you could post a set of guidelines or something it would be helpful.

Last edited by 00clone; 03-12-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.

Legend
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,572
    Given: 611

Nevermind, I decided on my own. Pretty sure Jesus would be okay with the 'hammered' joke. I mean, if he wasn't okay with booze, he'd have told the drunks at Cana to go home instead of being an enabler.

I'll leave the original post, though, as a lesson to those who come later, and as a strange form of confession.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 249

Congrats to ISU for a strong conference and tourney showing! Just move on and make some noise in the tourney...

And...congrats to Mulkey I guess for exploiting the current state of NCAA D1 WBB. Griner seems to be the WBB "darling" right now, so I'd be surprised if the officiating changes any during the tourney. Is this kind of physical pounding really what people like to watch? The NCAA needs to revamp both MBB and WBB.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    *edit: Sorry mitten, didn't see that this had been declared a no juvenile humor thread.
    Request point of clarification...can I still make the 'hammered' joke if I don't make the Brittany Greiner joke? If you could post a set of guidelines or something it would be helpful.
    What I said had nothing to do with guidelines, just a personal opinion. I don't get upset about the jokes, just don't see them as wise and also they lack compassion. Griner can't help what she is, and if she were in men's basketball, she would get smoked. That said, she is an exceptional women's basketball player. If Griner was a Cyclone, we would be defending her and even though I can't stand Baylor, I agree with them supporting Griner. I think that crap can go to far too. Some idiot jerk during the game yesterday in the Baylor crowd was making worshiping gestures to Griner. Typical Southern Baptist. I wouldn't be surprised if he spends his life putting down other religions, and at the same time slips illegal money to the Baylor athletic dept.

I am a free speech guy, I will probably have the Southern Baptists down on my case, but they need to get their act together, so do I. If they take what I said here too seriously, go find a slave to beat, or a basketball player to bribe and stop wasting time on me.

Last edited by mitten1975; 03-12-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    "Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I should mention, "hammered" jokes are completely our of line, section 12, paragraph 15, online forum rules and guidelines.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 56

I like how the announcers and everyone just gush about Griner's growth and improvement and how great of a person she is, yet I distinctly remember a couple years ago when she decked that girl during a game.

Yes, Griner is apparently full of class.......