Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 428

Re: Creighton to Big East?

Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    I'm happy to see some big names heading to town to play. I do think Greg has to be nervous. He was going to have to work to make sure he didnt drop off once Dougie leaves anyway. Now hes potentially back in a situation where he has struggled before - having to recruit and coach with the big boys. The next couple years will be big for the Jays, as Nebbie seems like they might be poised for improvement just down the road. If Creighton struggles that could get interesting.
    You know, it's always possible that he actually learned his lessons at Iowa State. I don't think his problem here was that he didn't see what he had done wrong, but that by the time he had gotten to that point the culture and team had gotten so far away from him he was never going to be able to reel it back in. He'll have had three years to establish his program at Creighton, it's possible he will be able to leverage the Big East thing into recruiting better players and actually understand how to work with them this time around. Not a sure thing by any means, but possible.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 428

I was also thinking last night, if I wasn't so sure that they were just biding their time for the new Big East to invite more teams in the next couple seasons, shouldn't the Valley at least make a run at inviting St. Louis to join? They'd probably say no, but doesn't it at least make some sense? Outside of VCU, what's left in the A-10 you'd really consider a marquee program worth putting up with the horrible travel situation to be in a conference with? Even without Creighton you'd still have pretty decent mid-majors like Wichita St. and UNI in your conference. You'd have home court for your conference tournament. You're not constantly having your teams travelling to the east coast. And if the Valley decided they wanted to bring in say Belmont and Oral Roberts at the same time and go to 12, isn't that a conference you'd consider pretty level with a Butler/Temple/Xavier/Charlotee-less A-10 anyway? Obviously all bets are off if they think they're Big East bound in the near future, but it's at least food for thought, right?

Starter
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 7

SLU is the best option for the Valley if they are interested. They pretty much replace everthing Creighton brought to the table. They are even more isolated from the A10 geographically with Xavier leaving, so maybe they would be interested now. Dayton is still pretty close, but if I'm the Valley I invite them too.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 19

Invite Nebraska-Omaha, South Dakota and South Dakota State to the MVC.

Again, replace one Omaha school for another and then fill the remaining two with schools that fit geographically.