Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 176
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 63,866, Level: 78
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points
    nallen34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Marshalltown, Iowa
    Posts
    1,937
    Points
    63,866
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8

    Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    Does anyone else ever wonder how much more awesome the NCAA tournament would be if it was actually the best 64 teams playing? Instead of giving auto bids to low major winners of their conference tournament, teams like UNI or Iowa might be a lock at this point. Instead of having Northwest Missouri Central State as a 16 seed who brings 100 fans and extremely low ratings for TV, you could have a team like Iowa who travels and gets 100 times better TV ratings than Northwest Missouri Central State; as a 16 seed playing a 1 seed such as Gonzaga in the first round.

    You could still have conference tournaments, and winning games in conference tournaments could still give you a chance to win your way into the tournament if you are a borderline top 64 team. Just because you beat Southern North Carolina in the championship game of the SWAC tournament doesn't mean you should be titled as "one of the best 64 teams in college basketball." The whole format is completely screwed up.

    Instead of top 50 teams like us being a lock at this point, we have to sweat because of terrible low majors teams being rewarded a spot because they won their conference tournament. It's just a joke and they really need to look into changing the format and getting the best 64 teams in the tournament. Attendance and TV ratings would be higher, and there would be better teams with better fan bases which in turn would earn them more revenue. Isn't that what it's all about?


    Last edited by nallen34; 03-07-2013 at 07:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 343,016, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    ISUCubswin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    My Playhouse
    Posts
    10,829
    Points
    343,016
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 584
    Given: 314

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    I think it would be more physical, but it would eliminate Cinderellas.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 129,111, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    ISUCyclones2015's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ames via Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,238
    Points
    129,111
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 114

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    Cinderellas make March Madness... well March Madness. Without those random *** teams getting a "shot" then it wouldn't have the allure it has now


    My teams: (as of 6/15/14)
    Cleveland Browns: 4-12 - .250
    Cleveland Indians: 34-35 - .493
    Cleveland Cavs: 33-49 - .402
    Iowa State Cyclones (FB): 3-9 - .250
    Iowa State Cyclones (BB): 28-8 - .778



  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 73,536, Level: 84
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,314
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Messi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    648
    Points
    73,536
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    Quote Originally Posted by nallen34 View Post
    Does anyone else ever wonder how much more awesome the NCAA tournament would be if it was actually the best 64 teams playing? Instead of giving auto bids to low major winners of their conference tournament, teams like UNI or Iowa might be a lock at this point. Instead of having Northwest Missouri Central State as a 16 seed who brings 100 fans and extremely low ratings for TV, you could have a team like Iowa who travels and gets 100 times better TV ratings than Northwest Missouri Central State; as a 16 seed playing a 1 seed such as Gonzaga in the first round.

    You could still have conference tournaments, and winning games in conference tournaments could still give you a chance to win your way into the tournament if you are a borderline top 64 team. Just because you beat Southern North Carolina in the championship game of the SWAC tournament doesn't mean you should be titled as "one of the best 64 teams in college basketball." The whole format is completely screwed up.

    Instead of top 50 teams like us being a lock at this point, we have to sweat because of terrible low majors teams being rewarded a spot because they won their conference tournament. It's just a joke and they really need to look into changing the format and getting the best 64 teams in the tournament. Attendance and TV ratings would be higher, and there would be better teams with better fan bases which in turn would earn them more revenue. Isn't that what it's all about?

    could not disagree with you more



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 63,866, Level: 78
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points
    nallen34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Marshalltown, Iowa
    Posts
    1,937
    Points
    63,866
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    I think it would be more physical, but it would eliminate Cinderellas.
    A cinderalla would be the 52nd ranked team, not the 181st ranked team. 16, 15, 14 seeds would win a lot more often. That's all anyone really cares about is the number of seed that wins, they don't actually care about the team. They think it's awesome when a 15 seed beats a 2 seed. That would happen a lot more often if the best 64 teams were actually in the tournament. The only reason 15 seeds very rarely beat 2 seeds is because the 15 seeds are the 112th best team. You insert the 58th best team and it will happen 3 or 4 more than it does right now.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 63,866, Level: 78
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points
    nallen34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Marshalltown, Iowa
    Posts
    1,937
    Points
    63,866
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    Quote Originally Posted by Messi View Post
    could not disagree with you more
    Why is that?



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 35,432, Level: 57
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,160
    Points
    35,432
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    I have mixed feelings because how can you objectively determine who the "best" 64 teams are? You may eliminate the chance for a legitimately good team being left out over a perceived to be good big conference team. But, as our season has gone I have a hard time believing we aren't one of the best 64 yet we have been hanging by a thread to get in which is crazy. It's easy for Coach K to argue that the tournament is big enough, it doesn't affect his team. The field should probably be bigger with byes for the top 16 seeds. There is less debate about who may be the top 16 versus the bottom 16. I wouldn't argue an Indiana or Duke does not deserve to be a top 16 team. I have a huge argument about whether or not we deserve it over a Villanova or anyone else. At the end of the day though, we created our situation (but for Kansas and officiating) and we have to live with that. Beat Tech, UNLV or Cincy, UT and one of the OSU, KU games and we're not having to talk about it.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 58,099, Level: 74
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 451
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,405
    Points
    58,099
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 5

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    When you look at the teams on the wrong side of the bubble right now - Baylor, Maryland, Arizona State, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Alabama, etc. - do they really deserve to play for the National Championship?

    Baylor is 17-13, under .500 in an average conference, with non-conference home losses to Charleston and Northwestern. If the current tournament formula is keeping them out of the tournament, then I'd say it's working correctly.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 183,357, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,458
    Points
    183,357
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 458
    Given: 213

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    Quote Originally Posted by nallen34 View Post
    A cinderalla would be the 52nd ranked team, not the 181st ranked team. 16, 15, 14 seeds would win a lot more often. That's all anyone really cares about is the number of seed that wins, they don't actually care about the team. They think it's awesome when a 15 seed beats a 2 seed. That would happen a lot more often if the best 64 teams were actually in the tournament. The only reason 15 seeds very rarely beat 2 seeds is because the 15 seeds are the 112th best team. You insert the 58th best team and it will happen 3 or 4 more than it does right now.
    I agree with this totally. Teams who don't deserve to get in are getting in right now. It's really ridiculous, but it is what it is.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 183,357, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,458
    Points
    183,357
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 458
    Given: 213

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    When you look at the teams on the wrong side of the bubble right now - Baylor, Maryland, Arizona State, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Alabama, etc. - do they really deserve to play for the National Championship?

    Baylor is 17-13, under .500 in an average conference, with non-conference home losses to Charleston and Northwestern. If the current tournament formula is keeping them out of the tournament, then I'd say it's working correctly.
    A lot more than any 16 seed deserves it.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 63,866, Level: 78
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points
    nallen34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Marshalltown, Iowa
    Posts
    1,937
    Points
    63,866
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    Quote Originally Posted by kberyldial View Post
    I have mixed feelings because how can you objectively determine who the "best" 64 teams are?
    You prove that you are a top 64 team by playing your regular season. That's like saying "are rankings really accurate"?



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 78,154, Level: 86
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,272
    Points
    78,154
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 14

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    I'm going to be completely honest here. With the exception of ISU and a few other teams I root for a good amount, I would not be as much into March Madness if the "no name" teams were not in. I'm sorry, but they make it and a lot of the time they make for good games. It gets guys who don't have exposure who deserve it..get their exposure and sometimes gets guys into the NBA, sometimes.

    There are people who don't care for "cinderella" but most people I've met and talked to are all about it. The opening weekend of the tournament is by far the best and the NCAA knows this about what people want.

    I totally understand your point, but from a money point of view and TV viewership point of view...yeah. Honestly, tons of people will tune into a Duke game because they hate Duke so much, they want to see them get beat by some mid major (i.e. what happened last year). The last few years I've been going to the bars here in Chicago for the opening weekend every day and I"ll tell you that the bars, every single time, goes wild when a big time team is getting beat by a "no name" team.


    Last edited by marothisu; 03-07-2013 at 07:23 PM.

  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 58,099, Level: 74
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 451
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,405
    Points
    58,099
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 5

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    A lot more than any 16 seed deserves it.
    So then let's have a 32 team tournament and do away with all of them? I don't love the idea of a terrible team getting to play because they beat out 7 even more terrible teams, either, but I really don't think Baylor or Alabama needs to be in the tournament.


    Last edited by kucyclone; 03-07-2013 at 07:26 PM.

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 63,866, Level: 78
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points
    nallen34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Marshalltown, Iowa
    Posts
    1,937
    Points
    63,866
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    When you look at the teams on the wrong side of the bubble right now - Baylor, Maryland, Arizona State, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Alabama, etc. - do they really deserve to play for the National Championship?

    Baylor is 17-13, under .500 in an average conference, with non-conference home losses to Charleston and Northwestern. If the current tournament formula is keeping them out of the tournament, then I'd say it's working correctly.
    They deserve to play for the national championship more than Southern, Robert Morris, or Charleston Southern.



  15. #15
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 224,918, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,139
    Points
    224,918
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 406
    Given: 324

    Re: Just think if the NCAA Tournament was actually the best 64 teams

    Not a bad idea, but I love the thought that right now literally EVERY team (all 300+) still has a shot to win it all....well besides those that lost in conference tournaments that start today.


    @RandomGeoFacts

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM