Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 44,268, Level: 65
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,282
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,840
    Points
    44,268
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 17

    ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    Southern Miss, Iowa State lead bubble teams most likely to pull tourney upsets - College Basketball - ESPN

    We rank as the 2nd scariest/best bubble team. I know we can't copy and paste but the highlights are as followed.

    * According their their Giant Killer rankings we are on par with Notre Dame, UCLA, and Oregon.

    * 44% of our FGs our 3s and we make 37% of them.

    * 10th in the nation for offensive efficiency.

    * Not great defensively. Don't block or force steals. But we don't turn it over much currently. We force people off the 3 point line that is big for going far in the tourney.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 72,313, Level: 83
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,013
    Points
    72,313
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 101

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    * 44% of our FGs our 3s and we make 37% of them
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

    I'd really like to see the 37% move up closer to 40% in the future as Fred attracts players who know his system.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 34,451, Level: 57
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 999
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    DurangoCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Posts
    1,788
    Points
    34,451
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 51

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    Quote Originally Posted by megamanxzero35 View Post
    Southern Miss, Iowa State lead bubble teams most likely to pull tourney upsets - College Basketball - ESPN

    We rank as the 2nd scariest/best bubble team. I know we can't copy and paste but the highlights are as followed.

    * According their their Giant Killer rankings we are on par with Notre Dame, UCLA, and Oregon.

    * 44% of our FGs our 3s and we make 37% of them.

    * 10th in the nation for offensive efficiency.

    * Not great defensively. Don't block or force steals. But we don't turn it over much currently. We force people off the 3 point line that is big for going far in the tourney.

    I usually don't fall into the "advancing your favorite team to far" in your tournament brackets, because I feel like I'm realistic about our talent, but...

    This year I'm picking ISU to advance to at least the Sweet 16, then I'll start looking at matchups.

    Kool-Aid!!!



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 44,268, Level: 65
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,282
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,840
    Points
    44,268
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 17

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    Quote Originally Posted by DurangoCy View Post
    I usually don't fall into the "advancing your favorite team to far" in your tournament brackets, because I feel like I'm realistic about our talent, but...

    This year I'm picking ISU to advance to at least the Sweet 16, then I'll start looking at matchups.

    Kool-Aid!!!
    If we can win our first game, I feel bad for the coach who has 1 day turn around to figure out how to stop our offense.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,732, Level: 79
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    3,997
    Points
    65,732
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 403

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    I can't believe this column has Baylor in...yet so many say we are on the bubble? Hmmm...not saying it couldn't happen but if Baylor is in...aren't we a lock?



  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 16,319, Level: 38
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Snyder21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sioux City, IA
    Posts
    561
    Points
    16,319
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 19

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    As far as talent goes Iowa State has what it takes to make it to the sweet sixteen. There have been so many games we should have won this year that we couldn't pull out. Kansas (twice), Okie State, Texas, and Tech. If I were any team in the tourney I would not want to see the Cyclones in my section of the tournament.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 16,319, Level: 38
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Snyder21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sioux City, IA
    Posts
    561
    Points
    16,319
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 19

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    I can't believe this column has Baylor in...yet so many say we are on the bubble? Hmmm...not saying it couldn't happen but if Baylor is in...aren't we a lock?
    We're a lock after last night



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 45,596, Level: 66
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,164
    Points
    45,596
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 18

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    Quote Originally Posted by megamanxzero35 View Post
    Southern Miss, Iowa State lead bubble teams most likely to pull tourney upsets - College Basketball - ESPN

    We rank as the 2nd scariest/best bubble team. I know we can't copy and paste but the highlights are as followed.

    * According their their Giant Killer rankings we are on par with Notre Dame, UCLA, and Oregon.

    * 44% of our FGs our 3s and we make 37% of them.

    * 10th in the nation for offensive efficiency.

    * Not great defensively. Don't block or force steals. But we don't turn it over much currently. We force people off the 3 point line that is big for going far in the tourney.
    IOWA STATE IS NOT A BUBBLE TEAM


    NEXT



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,708, Level: 86
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,642
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclonespiker33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,406
    Points
    76,708
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 59

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyder21 View Post
    As far as talent goes Iowa State has what it takes to make it to the sweet sixteen. There have been so many games we should have won this year that we couldn't pull out. Kansas (twice), Okie State, Texas, and Tech. If I were any team in the tourney I would not want to see the Cyclones in my section of the tournament.
    teeheehee



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 263,271, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,474
    Points
    263,271
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 628

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyder21 View Post
    As far as talent goes Iowa State has what it takes to make it to the sweet sixteen. There have been so many games we should have won this year that we couldn't pull out. Kansas (twice), Okie State, Texas, and Tech. If I were any team in the tourney I would not want to see the Cyclones in my section of the tournament.
    If ISU would have put a little more effort in on defense this team would be the Big XII Champions and probably a #2 or #3 seed. That being said it is not too late for this team to start because the talent is there. With the kind of ability ISU has to put points on the board consistently if they could manage to at least slow other teams down offensively I don't think there are many teams that could hang with ISU.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 730,117, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,493
    Points
    730,117
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,316
    Given: 639

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    As I've said before, no one wants to see ISU as their first or second game.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 95,980, Level: 96
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,070
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,799
    Points
    95,980
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 60

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    As I've said before, no one wants to see ISU as their first or second game.
    In reality only a handful of people outside of B12 country, would have any clue that we can be a dangerous team. If you haven't watched an ISU game (which is probably 90% of the country), you're not going to be too scared of drawing ISU.

    Just like UConn last year, they won't understand what just happened to them until after the fact.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 386,972, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,797
    Points
    386,972
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 392

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    In reality only a handful of people outside of B12 country, would have any clue that we can be a dangerous team. If you haven't watched an ISU game (which is probably 90% of the country), you're not going to be too scared of drawing ISU.

    Just like UConn last year, they won't understand what just happened to them until after the fact.

    Which is awesome. Unfortunately it allowed UK to take notice....right away.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 43,510, Level: 64
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 740
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,611
    Points
    43,510
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 251

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    It's all about our matchup, but the trend around the country is scoring is down. We buck that trend. Plus, no one out there looks unbeatable and you could argue we've outplayed or at the least gone toe to toe with KU/Okie St/Kstate who've all been rated and will be fairly high seeds. Our resume isn't sparkling but we haven't been outclassed by anyone in the big 12.



  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 24,335, Level: 47
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    ISUagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    941
    Points
    24,335
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 18

    Re: ESPN Insider: Giant Killers - Bubble teams that can pull off upsets

    We have only been beaten soundly twice this season. I wouldn't want to play us.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM