Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 110

Re: Eustachy taunted with "Alcoholic" Chants.

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    No! I'm genetically predisposed to obesity and therefore I must be fat! My lifestyle choices have no bearing in this matter.

And stupid.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    To me this is no worse than the ISU student section chanting 'Rogaine' at Greg Brunner in Ames. Male pattern baldness is also a disease.
    Male pattern baldness is not a disease since it doesn't affect your health, but rather a genetic disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,293
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by GMackey32 View Post
    Male pattern baldness is not a disease since it doesn't affect your health, but rather a genetic disorder.
    Yeah I realized that after I posted but it's close enough.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 716

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    Does anybody think on that fateful night when Larry had his pictures taken drunk with coeds down at Mizzou that he had some kind of internal battle with himself over the choice to go out and drink? Anybody think Larry took a moment and struggled over the potential consequences he might face for doing what he was about to do? Consequences with his boss at his job, his wife in his marriage, his kids, etc.... Anybody think he was worried about potential negative publicity if anybody found out?
    With Larry? Honestly, I think Larry was more arrogant than that. I don't think that's the motivator behind most alcoholics, but we all enabled Larry, we helped him think he was untouchable and that nothing he did was wrong, since he won.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I think some folks are born with a predisposition to become addicted to things, and if a physically harmful genetic predisposition meets the definition of "disease" then I guess it does.

I just hate the whole idea of alcoholics being these untreatable disease victims. I think the vast majority of people who are considered alcoholics could probably learn to be responsible about alcohol with help/therapy.

And before you ask, yes, I have several friends and family members who got to the point with alcohol use that people in their lives had to step in. All of them sought help, abstained for awhile, and then slowly have begun to use alcohol again in a responsible fashion. None of these people display problematic consumption symptoms, and all have pretty rewarding lives. I have a hard time believing that any of them were suffering from some kind of uncureable disease, but rather, learned to manage some of their negative predispositions and tendencies.

Kind of like how people who are genetically predisposed to be overweight can manage their weight.
    Maybe this is what I should have said. Putting an alcoholic on par with a cancer victim who didn't smoke or do anything to bring on the disease is completely wrong. If it's a disease fine, but there is choice that goes with the disease is really all I was trying to say. That's no different than obesity or a lot of other addictions. What I have tried to put in words is that a genetic predisposition does not eliminate the choice you make. The gentic predisposition, IMO, is just that, not a disease until the person makes a choice to engage in alcoholism. Then, in the end, I think it's unfair to someone with cancer or MS to call alcoholism a disease and lump it in with people who had no choice in their disease.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by ISUME View Post
    If you are an alcoholic you can't start drinking again after receiving treatment, because they will slip into the past behaviors.
    Which gets to my point that this disease is often over-diagnosed. Because all of these people did. So maybe they weren't actually alcoholics with a disease, but were rather people, who for some reason, had lost control of their grip on alcohol, but managed to regain it.

Like how some people manage to lose weight, but still occasionally enjoy decadent foods.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    No! I'm genetically predisposed to obesity and therefore I must be fat! My lifestyle choices have no bearing in this matter.
    Not to derail this a little bit, but I heard a good talk on the over-eating subject and they made a good point when someone compared it to drug and alcohol addition. It may not be easy, but you can choose to never have another drink, pop another pill, or shoot up. You cannot choose to never eat again. Imagine being an alcoholic who still had to have 3 drinks a day, but only 3 and smaller drinks at that. It really put the "fat" thing into perspective for me. Are there life changes people can make to make themselves better? Yes, there definitely are, but until you've walked in their shoes, please, don't think it's as easy as just saying no.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Which gets to my point that this disease is often over-diagnosed. Because all of these people did. So maybe they weren't actually alcoholics with a disease, but were rather people, who for some reason, had lost control of their grip on alcohol, but managed to regain it.

Like how some people manage to lose weight, but still occasionally enjoy decadent foods.
    And in Larry's case, I don't know if alcohol alone was the problem. The problem stemmed from partying with coeds which I refuse to believe was a decision he made because he was drunk. I think he just liked to party a little. Then he had issues with the AD which may or may not have come from alcohol, but I doubt it.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I usually don't read a thread topic from start to finish but this one has my interest. The reason? I am an alcoholic. I've been sober for over 18 years... so I'd like to think I can speak from a place of knowledge.

I started drinking when I was 14. I didn't start drinking to “fit in” or to party... I just wanted to be numb. To kill the pain.

Alcohol, for me, was a means of survival. I grew up in a very abusive alcoholic home, with two alcoholic parents. I watched and heard the fights, the screams, the abusive sex, and then the next day I saw the after effects – the black eyes, the burnt skin, and the blood stained clothes. I too, was physically, emotionally, and sexually abused. Alcohol saved my life... until it nearly killed me.

And yes alcohol does kill. My mom's death was a direct result of alcohol.

I drank until I saw that I was becoming my parents. A very scary and painful discovery. What to know what the loneliest place in the world is for an alcoholic? It's realizing that you can no longer live life with alcohol, but you can't imagine life without it.

That last part is why people relapse. I got sober in '86 and stayed clean until '92 and started drinking again because, I couldn't live life without alcohol. I didn't have the “tools” to handle everyday adversity and the anger and rage I had, when I was 14, was back in my life. The only way I could handle it was to drink again.

I drank for two more years and totally destroyed everything I had accomplished with five years of sobriety.

What is different this time that I have been sober for 18 years, that I didn't do when I drank after being sober after five years? I do not have control over alcohol. It is not a matter of control or will-power. If it was about will-power I'd rather be drunk. All the stress it would take to stay sober by will-power would not be good for anyone's health – it would lead me back to that rage and anger.

While I have no control over alcohol, I still do have a choice. Nothing is stopping me from getting drunk but tonight I choose to not to drink.

Alcohol for me was never ever about choice. It was a way to survive.

And some may not like this... want to know my definition of alcoholism? If you ever caused someone to shed a tear because of your drinking, then you have a problem. Me? I filled many buckets with tears.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 491
    Given: 262

Quote Originally Posted by carvers4math View Post
    Wonder how many of them were drunk while they were yelling it?
    Excellent point. Completely without class

DistrictCyclone

Well, the American Medical Association has categorized alcoholism as a disease for over 50 years, and I'm inclined to trust their judgment on medical issues over that of a handful of posters on Cyclone Fanatic.

http://www.ama-assn.org/resources/do..._treatable.pdf

Last edited by DistrictCyclone; 03-07-2013 at 06:36 PM.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post
    What the hell happened to Wyoming? Weren't they the last remaining unbeaten?
    They were only unbeaten because they'd played a bunch of junk teams. I got into an argument with another poster about this back when they were 15-2.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 23

And their star player got in a bar brawl and arrested.

Rookie
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

No as a soldier who has come back, they are not diseased. Choices are not diseases. Just because life kicks you, doesn't mean you can just decide to drink your life away and claim it wasn't your own choice.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 60

cyclonelifer-I think I came across your "Iowa State Football Arrives" years ago when I was cruising the internet looking for Iowa State articles. Very cool story on how you and your family became Cyclones! I saved a copy of it and bookmarked it. I thought that someday I would start a thread on here with your article featured. I became interested in your story because of that article and so I read a bunch of your stuff-it's a very rough story. My life has been a cakewalk compared to yours.

I was at ISU during those years and went to all of the Johnny Majors home games and some away games. I watched your brother play. Not much other than that to say right now. Good luck and I'm happy that you're making it!

Last edited by aauummm; 03-07-2013 at 07:24 PM.