Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

I'll Take Mac over LE

LE had 2 great years, the next two years were NIT and nothing. LE is a solid coach, but he caught lightning in a bottle with Fizer and Tinsley.

I always felt having LE at coach was like selling your soul to the devil. Sure he put a couple great teams together, but some of the kids he recruited were not the best citizens and I don't feel academics were a big priority.

I believe G-Mac will get ISU to be a Big 12 contender. However, even if he doesn't I'm 100% sure that he'll recruit quality kids.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 34

Re: I'll Take Mac over LE

It's a little to early to compare Gmac against Larry. Larry took ISU to a level they have only seen in wrestling, but never any of the major sports. Gmac is about .500 right now.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Larry took ISU to a level they have only seen in wrestling, but never any of the major sports.
    I agree, Brian, plus I think Larry won regular season conference championships in three different leagues. I don't think there is any denying the man can coach. Ever since Orr came to break the ice, we've been able to attract good coaches and Gmac is no exception.

Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p928725649

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 469
    Given: 420

Not sure why this is being discussed. Do we have a choice?

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I honestly cannot believe we are even having this conversation. Eustachy did bring some great times, with Tim Floyd's players.

Mac is in his second season trying to put back a program that was quickly falling apart. He has already brought in a 5 star recruit and if it wasn't for Wesley Johnson's injury and the crazy situation with Staiger we are probably 4-0 right now. Let's wait at least until Johnson is back (who was obviously our best returning player) until we start crying for Mac to leave.

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by bluehooper View Post
    I honestly cannot believe we are even having this conversation. Eustachy did bring some great times, with Tim Floyd's players.

Mac is in his second season trying to put back a program that was quickly falling apart. He has already brought in a 5 star recruit and if it wasn't for Wesley Johnson's injury and the crazy situation with Staiger we are probably 4-0 right now. Let's wait at least until Johnson is back (who was obviously our best returning player) until we start crying for Mac to leave.
    I agree with the question why are we discussing this. But who in this thread asked for Mac to leave?

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

CAN WE PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, GIVE UP THE LARRY EUSTACHY THREADS HERE ON CF!!!!! IT'S GETTING VERY OLD!!!!!!

P.S. He lives in Mississippi now, if people miss him, move!!!!!!!!!!

"The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    CAN WE PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, GIVE UP THE LARRY EUSTACHY THREADS HERE ON CF!!!!! IT'S GETTING VERY OLD!!!!!!

P.S. He lives in Mississippi now, if people miss him, move!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree, we're wasting valuable time that we could be using discussing which of the high level DI head coaching jobs Dan Mc is going to take

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

LE was a good coach (not great) that left after embarassing the university. He's gone. Let him go. We're on to better things now.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Cyclone42

My beef with LE (aside from everything that got him fired, which I won't go into again) is that he was JuCo-crazy. Under LE it was JuCo, JuCo, JuCo. JuCo's here, there, everywhere. He was horrible at recruiting high school players. That's entirely the reason he brought in Wayne Morgan, after all, to help him recruit high school talent. The JuCo-crazy route helped plug the holes in the team he inherited from Floyd, and got ISU to the Elite 8, but after that team left we were less than nothing. We were one of the first teams in the NATION to go from first to worst in a conference in 2 seasons, one of the only other major teams to do so being Duke when Krzyzewski left for a sabbatical. This is what JuCo-crazy got us.

Walk On
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

And how are JuCo's bad? What do you suppose our attrition rate is on High School players in the past 10 years? Simply awful, as it is for every program now. Kids don't sign up for 4 years of role playing anymore. JuCo's don't have that luxury. I'll take my Willoughbys, Catos, Bankheads, Tinsleys, Nurses, Baylisses, Eatons, Pearsons -you can keep your Ramptons, Marsdens, Bristers, Moddermans, etc...

The risk is certainly no higher going Juco anymore, and they don't have the time to transfer, although it still happens... Some if not most of my favorite Cyclones were JuCo's and they were just as much Cyclones as our cherished 4 year players...

Starter
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 4

I agree that it might be too soon to judge; however there two areas I'm concerned with: weak post play and recent recruiting. GMac's forte is coaching the bigs and we have depth and experience - but we've looked pretty weak defending the post and rebounding.

I also think recruiting has cooled off lately; LE, TF, Johnny, and WM all were solid recruiters and they were able to get players from all over the U.S. . We all saw Tom Davis' success using local players; but there is a limit as to how far you can get that way.

Prospect
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

It seem to me the real point here is we all want to get back to the level of basketball we had when we won back to back Big 12 regular season championships, a tournament championship and go to the elite 8 with Up-Tempo basketball. No doubt, I think everyone wants quality four year kids with a honorable program capable of taking it all the way. Right now even with the talent we have available we don't see the killer instinct or Up-Tempo basketball. I have no doubt with the recruits GMAC is bringing in his teams will be competitive in the future, however, will they be able to finish. When I watch GMAC, I get no sense of the "Eye of the Tiger" that we consistently saw with LE. I really think this is the concern so far. The Bradley game was an example of this, even without Wesley, if we had killer instinct we could have won that game. We saw crisis management in the last minute, where was GMAC in pulling all the stops out three minutes prior to the end? I never sensed that the kids were laying it all out there consistently.

Recruit
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I would take Larry any day! At least we had hope under Larry...Sorry to say this but GMAC won't be around in a few years....He's not the right coach for our program.

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

LE using Floyd's players???

Tinsley was brought in by LE and HE not Fizer was the reason we won back to back Big XII Conference titles.

When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"