Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 85,670, Level: 91
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,780
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,551
    Points
    85,670
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 36

    Trading down for a vehicle

    Yes, I know. Rarely if not ever a good idea so spare those replies. For various reason I don't want to sell it outright or trade for a more expensive vehicle.

    Anyway, anyone ever successfully traded down in value for a vehicle and not gotten hosed? I'm no where close to upside down so I stand to walk away with a good chunk of change I'd like to use elsewhere. I like the vehicle but I'm looking to downsize.


    Fanatic #25

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 57,184, Level: 74
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,366
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Acylum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,279
    Points
    57,184
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 466

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    I've never done it but I'd assume you're going to take even more of a beating on your trade than if you were moving up. I'd really consider just selling it.


    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 12,836, Level: 34
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    JWIL4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    745
    Points
    12,836
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 13

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    I actually just did this a few months ago. I traded a 2011 GMC Acadia for a 2007 GMC Yukon Denali XL. I basically upgraded vehicles and eliminated my car payment at the same time. It's really no different than trading in a vehicle for a more expensive 1. As long as you do your research and print off the Kelly Blue Books for each vehicles then you won't get screwed. The nice thing about doing a dealer trade you won't have to pay any taxes since the trade in vehicle is worth more. I ended up saving just as much on taxes as I would have if I sold my Acadia on Craigslist for a higher price.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 85,670, Level: 91
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,780
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,551
    Points
    85,670
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 36

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by JWIL4CY View Post
    I actually just did this a few months ago. I traded a 2011 GMC Acadia for a 2007 GMC Yukon Denali XL. I basically upgraded vehicles and eliminated my car payment at the same time. It's really no different than trading in a vehicle for a more expensive 1. As long as you do your research and print off the Kelly Blue Books for each vehicles then you won't get screwed. The nice thing about doing a dealer trade you won't have to pay any taxes since the trade in vehicle is worth more. I ended up saving just as much on taxes as I would have if I sold my Acadia on Craigslist for a higher price.
    Did you work with a metro dealer on that? Yeah, definitely have my KBB/NADA values close at hand for the deal.


    Fanatic #25

  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 12,836, Level: 34
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    JWIL4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    745
    Points
    12,836
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 13

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Did you work with a metro dealer on that? Yeah, definitely have my KBB/NADA values close at hand for the deal.

    Yep, des moines imports.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 25,621, Level: 49
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    iowa_wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,213
    Points
    25,621
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    BigBake trading down will work at an honest dealership. You, of course, realize you will pay retail for what you purchase and receive wholesale for your trade.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 85,670, Level: 91
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,780
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,551
    Points
    85,670
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 36

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    BigBake trading down will work at an honest dealership. You, of course, realize you will pay retail for what you purchase and receive wholesale for your trade.
    Yeah, the TI v Retail part I expect. Although I won't go crazy on what they get for retail. On the plus side I have the luxury of not being forced in to having to sell. I can easily just hold on to what I have and walk away.


    Fanatic #25

  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 74,701, Level: 84
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    TXCyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Heath, TX
    Posts
    2,939
    Points
    74,701
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 140

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    Find a Carmax to sell your current one to. I think KC may be closest. They'll give you KBB price. Then go buy what you need. Do not try the trade. You'll get ****ed.


    Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 34,432, Level: 57
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,018
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    bugs4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Story County
    Posts
    999
    Points
    34,432
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 161

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    Amazingly enough there is a Carmax on Hickman in Urbandale.


    "It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 17,906, Level: 40
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,889
    Points
    17,906
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 16

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Did you work with a metro dealer on that? Yeah, definitely have my KBB/NADA values close at hand for the deal.
    If you are going to get KBB/Nada values get them from your banker, not off the internet. The books the bank uses have additional values not available online to the general public. Also, on the car you are buying, ask your banker what is the maximum amount of money they would loan on the vehicle and use that value to negotiate. Often the loan value is less than KBB/Nada and the retail price on the car.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 280,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,924
    Points
    280,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 408
    Given: 722

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Yes, I know. Rarely if not ever a good idea so spare those replies. For various reason I don't want to sell it outright or trade for a more expensive vehicle.

    Anyway, anyone ever successfully traded down in value for a vehicle and not gotten hosed? I'm no where close to upside down so I stand to walk away with a good chunk of change I'd like to use elsewhere. I like the vehicle but I'm looking to downsize.
    I'm with you. I can't do it. I had(still have) a pretty nice vehicle in LA when I was there, but can't even get "Fair" KBB value for it in Denver right now. Obviously, 4x4 are very popular in March during ski season, but still, it's difficult to trade down without totally losing a lot of (perceived) value.

    I don't have any advice for you. I'm just trying to wait for summer to see if it gets a bit better. If it doesn't I'll realize what it is. I'm not sure what you can do, I'm just posting to say I've had the same problem.



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 203,235, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,309
    Points
    203,235
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 303

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    I really don't understand why you wouldn't try to sell the vehicle yourself first. Or go to carmax the and see what they'll give you for the car.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 39,539, Level: 61
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    2ndCyCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    719
    Points
    39,539
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I really don't understand why you wouldn't try to sell the vehicle yourself first. Or go to carmax the and see what they'll give you for the car.
    I tried going the CarMax route last summer and found them to be as big a ripoff as dealerships or used car lots. Ended up selling on Craigslist.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 203,235, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,309
    Points
    203,235
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 303

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndCyCE View Post
    I tried going the CarMax route last summer and found them to be as big a ripoff as dealerships or used car lots. Ended up selling on Craigslist.

    Yeah they are not in the business of losing money on used cars so I would expect a lot more from using craigslist.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 33,237, Level: 56
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,013
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,137
    Points
    33,237
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 16

    Re: Trading down for a vehicle

    Yes, i Just did this about 6 months ago and it was a great idea! I had a 2010 Ford 150 XLT Extended Cab. Was costing me about $900/month with payment, insurance, gas. I traded it in for a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback which cost me a total of about $300/month. Once i got over the pride thing, all is well, esp the $$$$$



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM