Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Dallas * Big 12 Tourney

Yesterday the Dallas Morning News ran an article about the upcoming tournament. They said the average attendance at KC for the last 6 years has been 4100. I've been there every year but one and I'd say that's about right. They say ticket sales so far for Dallas have been 4600. That was as of Saturday (2nd). There will surely be quite a few more sold between the 3rd and the 9th. Quite a few folks in the Waco area are just now getting around to obtaining their tickets, and I know of two families in Lubbock that haven't purchased yet, but will be there. Evidentally it is not going to be an epic failure due to the splitting of the mens & womens as some are predicting. (Personally I like for them to be together, but it is what it is.)

Iowa State has always had the largest numbers of fans at KC since I've been going. I'm hoping most of you will come on down to Dallas in spite of the distance. Look at it like this, we've been having to drive through 3 States for years to be there. Maybe ya'll can do it once. Besides it's downhill all the way (good mpg). Also no snow on the ground, no salt on the roads, forecast of 70's for Sat & Sun. So come on down!! Not only that, but I would like to personally meet some of you folks. You might be surprised what all I know about Iowa. Just send me a message if you'd like, we can exchange numbers, and if you don't treat me too bad (lol) I might even be persuaded to treat you to some REAL Cajun or Mexican food.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Re: Dallas * Big 12 Tourney

Dallas might get more fans than KC but that does not mean it will be a success. All of the extra fans will be Baylor fans. Put the Big 12 tournament in Ames, IA and I will bet you that will shatter the attendance record! That does not mean that it will not be a failure on the part of the Big 12.

Walk On
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

I read ya Crazygreg. There is no doubt it would be a sellout if it was in Ames or Waco either one. The first two ncaa tourney rounds here are soldout. Do you remember when the tourney was in OKC. Attendance was over 6000 average. Why? - it was back yard for OU really and they had a great team then, didn't seem fair but we all lived with it. I wish there was some way we could have it at good central location for everybody without giving anyone an advantage. Since that seems rather difficult, maybe it should be moved to Las Vegas, Eh?

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,587
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 2

KC is about the most neutral location you can find in the Big 12 footprint. The conference has conceded to the state of Texas for football. If it wasn't for Baylor women's basketball, basketball would be non-existent in Texas. I think keeping the tradition in KC isn't too much to ask.

Last edited by Rogue52; 03-06-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

I think a rotation of Dallas, OKC, and Kansas City would be fair/fine. If it was to stay in one location, that OKC, from a distance standpoint, probably the fairest. Really, about the only think about seeing Nebraska and Missouri leave, was the argument for the BBall tourneys in Kansas City.

The main gripe I have is splitting up the WBB and MBB tourneys. I could make an argument to take vacation and spend the money to see both, but now neither will get my money.

This will be the first time in a long time, that the Big 12 tourney is not a family outing for us. Instead, we will probably go to a NCAA tourney round somewhere. Especially if TN and ISU end up together. I have my fingers crossed for Iowa City, simply from a cost standpoint.

Last edited by twistedredbird; 03-06-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 345

Last year people noted/complained that games were at similar times. They fixed that this year.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 172

AT WORST, I would conceed to a rotation between Oklahoma and KC. Let's face it, us northern schools are the only ones that care about basketball, you watch games and we actually show up. Texas doesn't unless they are top 10.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    AT WORST, I would conceed to a rotation between Oklahoma and KC. Let's face it, us northern schools are the only ones that care about basketball, you watch games and we actually show up. Texas doesn't unless they are top 10.
    I am not going to speak about boys basketball, but girls and women's basketball is huge in Texas.

Texas Tech and Baylor care about their WBB. Texas has also had a long-standing loyal core following, and now the Aston is back, many have returned. TCU seems to be just family in the stands though.

The other good thing for us, is it gives us an opportunity to get Texas recruits to the game, see our brand, interact with coaches, players, etc., see the loyal following.

We just need to win this year.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

But for men's, this has 0 benefit for us. We don't recruit down there for basketball so this would hurt us overall imo.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    But for men's, this has 0 benefit for us. We don't recruit down there for basketball so this would hurt us overall imo.
    I am confused. This is in the WBB forum thread, and the MBB tourney is in Kansas City through 2016? What am I missing here?

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71

Previously, fans had the option of going over to the other arena to see their other team play if one got eliminated or if the schedule worked out. Not so anymore.

Women's basketball simply does not have enough of a foothold to stand on its own where attendance and media coverage are concerned, and this event will bear that out. Oh, there will be a false sense of success because of the number of people that Baylor will bring (due to Griner and proximity to Dallas). Fool's gold.

The last time around in Dallas, nobody knew why we were there or what was going on. People asked if there was a volleyball tournament (they saw the tall wbb players). When told it was Big 12 basketball, they responded as if they'd never heard of such a thing. Doesn't exactly build confidence.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    I am confused. This is in the WBB forum thread, and the MBB tourney is in Kansas City through 2016? What am I missing here?
    Me = Fail
    You are right. This is me leaving
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3908978_o.gif 
Views:	33 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	18872  

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 104

The locations of OKC and ..KC have had the most balanced presentations over the past rotations. Dallas is dominated by Texas schools and the crowd disappears when they lose. This isn't the case in the other two locales.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 62

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Previously, fans had the option of going over to the other arena to see their other team play if one got eliminated or if the schedule worked out. Not so anymore.

Women's basketball simply does not have enough of a foothold to stand on its own where attendance and media coverage are concerned, and this event will bear that out. Oh, there will be a false sense of success because of the number of people that Baylor will bring (due to Griner and proximity to Dallas). Fool's gold.

The last time around in Dallas, nobody knew why we were there or what was going on. People asked if there was a volleyball tournament (they saw the tall wbb players). When told it was Big 12 basketball, they responded as if they'd never heard of such a thing. Doesn't exactly build confidence.
    Agreed on the inattention of Dallas knowing the Big 12 tourney was there. I was there.

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 111

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Oh, there will be a false sense of success because of the number of people that Baylor will bring (due to Griner and proximity to Dallas). Fool's gold.
    So how is Baylor bringing more fans because the tourney is in Dallas any different than ISU bringing more fans because the tourney is in KC?

Last edited by jbhtexas; 03-06-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy