Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 113

Getting ready for the Big 12 tourney

Had an interesting conversation yesterday and part of it described how poor tickets sales for the women's tourney have been. Outside of a couple of Texas schools and maybe OU, I suspect American Airlines Arena will be an empty shell and lots of echos will be heard. A sign of how stupid the decision to split the two tournaments has been. Personally I hope the Big 12 loses its shirt on the tournament.

OK, back to the topic...

After watching this team last night it was apparent they were tired. Dog tired. 3 games in 6 days is brutal...especially when travel is involved right in the middle. No rest, just prep. Having the first day of the tournament off is huge for us. Having the two seed is even more so. We get the extra rest and play a team that already has a game under its belt. It will be KU's fifth game in 10 days (2 on the road). Having nearly a full week of rest will help greatly.

Focus is going to be a key for certain aspect of this team if we expect to move ahead. There won't be any home crowd to energize an arena and will the team to victory. The team has to execute its game plan and do it with minimal turnovers. There's another post on the women's site that talks about the Jekyll/Hyde of Nikki Moody. She is an assist monster and a turnover machine. If she gets the screws tightened down and cuts her turnovers in half she makes us a much more dangerous team.

Starting off with KU or TCU is a mixed bag. I hope they will be tired, but the key is going to be getting the iside game established. This means Hal, Prins, and Pop all need to be on target. TCU used a zone to collapse on them. This means that Moody needs to be a slasher to pull the perimeter further in and give Brynn and Kidd open looks. Ball movement inside out and side to side will beat a zone every time. Especially if the zone has tired legs involved. We saw that in the first half last night.

I'm off to Dallas on Thursday and hope to see some of you there. Just look for the guys in the Power of the Pops shirts. That will be us! Here's to a great run in the tournament and doing some damage in the NCAA's.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Re: Getting ready for the Big 12 tourney

I am heading down Thursday as well!

The #2 seed is great! Do not have to play first thing in the morning... Get to rest all day. KU and TCU do not scare me at all. We were up by 18 on KU with 8 mins left at their place and took them by 15 at home. The TCU game was just a fluke.

On a side note - Up until last night we were looking at playing the winner of TTU and WVU in the semis. After our win and TTUs loss. We are now looking at playing the winner of OU and OSU. I would rather have TTU or WVU over either of those two teams!!

Pull for Texas to beat WVU tonight and OSU will move up to the #5 seed and we will avoid them.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 416

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Had an interesting conversation yesterday and part of it described how poor tickets sales for the women's tourney have been. Outside of a couple of Texas schools and maybe OU, I suspect American Airlines Arena will be an empty shell and lots of echos will be heard. A sign of how stupid the decision to split the two tournaments has been. Personally I hope the Big 12 loses its shirt on the tournament.
    Heard a halftime radio interview (believe at the TCU game) with some Big 12 talking head. She was going on and on about how great it was to be in Texas and separate from the men’s tournament so that they could focus on the gals blah blah, not play second fiddle to the guys blah blah, looking for tons of fans to attend blah blah blah. It was such a bunch of BS that I turned it off.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,022
    Given: 206

I don't get the move to Dallas at all. Especially now that the tourney is the week before the mens, couldn't they just do both in the Sprint Center?

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 145

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    All the major conferences are splitting their tournaments as far as holding the WBB tourney a week before the MBB tourney, and some are also splitting the venue.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,121
    Given: 2,206

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    All the major conferences are splitting their tournaments as far as holding the WBB tourney a week before the MBB tourney, and some are also splitting the venue.
    I get that, but this seems like a classic case of it's not broke so let's fix it. The women's tourney fed off the men's. Now it is just starving.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    I get that, but this seems like a classic case of it's not broke so let's fix it. The women's tourney fed off the men's. Now it is just starving.
    It has the potential to be an epic disaster, attendance-wise. The upper level of AAC will already be curtained off. The Big 12 has forced fans to choose one event over the other. Few people can afford to take 10 days off of work (plus travel and hotel) for both events.

As for media coverage, the tourney got basically no play the last time when both MBB and WBB were in Dallas. With just WBB in town, don't expect a lot of local coverage.

This is the result of southern coaches (one of whom is no longer in the league) getting sick of playing in Kansas City, and being deluded enough to believe that their event is at the same level as the men's.

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Exactly, the Big 12 is not other conferences. We actually support our women's teams (for the most part). But keeping the women's tournament hundreds of miles and days apart from the men's isn't going to do a single thing to increase attention or attendance. If Big 12 officials are thinking it got lost in the shuffle of Kansas City, what do they expect to happen in a metro area of nearly 7 million people? If not for Baylor and maybe OU fans, no one would go to the game in Dallas at all. OU has been down this year, so they'll get less than their usual attendance numbers. That will change next year when it's in their back yard. The whole idea of splitting the tournaments is ill-conceived and is unlikely to produce the results they believe it will. Keep it out of Dallas should be the rule to follow from here on out.

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 145

It seems odd/unlikely to me that each major conference would independently decide to hold its WBB conference tourney 1 week before the MBB conference tourney. IMO this is some kind of concerted effort by the NCAA to get the WBB tourneys "out from under the shadow" of the MBB tourneys. Personally, as others have said above, I think the idea will likely not help (and probably hurt) attendance at the WBB events. I probably should stop there so as not to get this sent to the cave...

Last edited by jbhtexas; 03-05-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    It seems odd/unlikely to me that each major conference would independently decide to hold its WBB conference tourney 1 week before the MBB conference tourney. IMO this is some kind of concerted effort by the NCAA to get the WBB tourneys "out from under the shadow" of the MBB tourneys. Personally, as others have said above, I think the idea will likely not help (and probably hurt) attendance at the WBB events. I probably should stop there so as not to get this sent to the cave...
    There was talk a few years ago to start the women's NCAA tourney a week earlier than the men's so it would be out of the shadows.

During the OU game, Brenda VanLangen kept going on and on about how great it was to be in Dallas because and since it is being played Friday-Monday, people could just take a long weekend vs the entire week. I thought what weak reasoning. I can't tell you how many ISU fans I know who save vacation just for the B12 tourneys and hit both men and women's games.

In KC, you always had good crowds from ISU, KSU, OU, and Baylor. In Dallas, you will have a good crowd from Baylor because it is a day trip. Let's face it, TTU, TCU, and UT don't travel well at all, and the fact that two of them are awful doesn't help. KU has never traveled well, WVU is lucky to get 1000 for a home game, so don't expect much of a crowd from them, and I don't expect much for OSU, or KSU this year. This leaves ISU and OU, and to be honest it has been a down year for OU, so I don't see them traveling as well as in the past, and for us, we won't have the crowds because a lot of people can't drive like they did in KC.

Moving to Dallas is a mistake - I understand Municipal Auditorium is not a shiny and big, but it is the perfect place for the women's tourney. As others have mentioned, the DFW media couldn't care less at the B12 women's tourney.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 113

One thing you always knew about Kansas City. They loved tournament time. Every place went all out to make the people welcome. I knew bar owners who followed the Big 12 schools and could have an intelligent conversation about your team. Heck some of the wait staff in the bar I hung out at even remembered our names from year to year (ok...there might be other reasons but we won't go there!).

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 24

Seeds are set
    # 1 Baylor (preseason #1)
    # 2 ISU (preseason #6)
    # 3 OU (preseason T #2)
    # 4 TTU (preseason #8)
    # 5 OSU (preseason #7)
    # 6 WVU (lost at Texas tonight) (preseason T #2)
    # 7 Kansas (preseason #4)
    # 8 K-State (preseason #9)
    # 9 Texas (preseason #5)
    #10 TCU (preseason #10)

Not a fan of WVU in our side of the bracket, they split the regular season with OU, so we'll see what happens.

One interesting note - Lisa Jones who officiated in Ames on Monday, officiated in Austin tonight. WVU called for 25 fouls, Texas called for 17. WVU was 4/13 at the line, Texas 16/29, and Texas won by 13.

Addict
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 919
    Given: 269

So we get the winner of KU vs. TCU, then (if we win) the winner of OU-WVU?

Glad OSU is not in our half of the bracket. Would be great to see this team make it to the finals.