Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 61

New Orleans Trip

Am heading down for spring break with the wife and kids in a couple weeks. I have a brother down in that area we want to visit. Any suggestions on things to do in the area? We want to do a swamp tour and also plan on driving over to Florida for a day on the beach. Hope it warms up a bit by then!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

Re: New Orleans Trip

The best food in the country is in and around New Orleans. Eat a bunch of it.

Starter
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

I lived in Baton Rouge for three plus years and my dad still lives there and have been to New Orleans plenty of times for both business and pleasure. New Orleans is a great place to visit.

Don't forget to get to riding the trolly (approx. 35-45 minute ride from end to end) that will take you around some of the older houses and some great sites. You can ride it from Canal Street all the way through most of the city. DuMonde's for beignets and coffee/hot chocolate, Canal Street, Bourbon Street, Garden District, and Jackson Square. Also, if you'd like, there is the WWII museum. The River Walk is a must with all the great shops and foot courts...but a nice out of the way restaurant off the beaten path is a better bet. I know of a few and will help you find them if you'd like...directions are too long to type here. Have a Po-Boy or Mulattoes Red Beans and Rice, Gumbo, of any kind and Jambalaya ..great eats!!! Get in a 'haunted mansion' tour if y'all are into that sort of thing. Take lots of film or SD cards if not a camcorder.

Don't however, look too obvious a tourist - since the pick pockets are out if force 24/7/365! Invest in a money clip and keep it in your front pant pocket and keep a good hand on it...at all times - when down in the French Quarter/Bourbon Street/Garden District.

Make sure to keep together as a family and if possible, when in a crowd, hold hands and keep very close.

Some very nice tourism sites such as:

New Orleans Official Tourism Web Site - New Orleans Online

Honey Island Swamp Tours by Cajun Encounters Tours, New Orleans

Things to Do in New Orleans | NewOrleans.com

PM me if you'd like to know more...

Cyclone fan since 1964 and proud of it!

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Starter
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,111
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 96

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    The best food in the country is in and around New Orleans. Eat a bunch of it.
    100% agree. Eat, eat, and eat some more. Doesn't have to be a fancy place either.

Rookie
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 3

How old are your kids? That'll make a difference

Weather should still be nice then.

Things I'd do / see:
    -Audobon Zoo
    -Explore the French Quarter (wear closed toes shoes if you go out at night! Sandals are not recommended)
    -Crawfish Boil!
    -WWII Museum is pretty cool if the kids are old enough.
    -Jean Lafitte Preserve is pretty cool. About 20 minutes from downtown and has some trails that walk straight through a swamp. I've been there before and there were 2' alligators like 2' off the trails (and some big ones out in the canals).
    -As others mentioned, eat! Lots of really good food, lots of seafood, and some amazing tastes that you won't get anywhere else.

Those just jumped off the top of my head.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

Quote Originally Posted by Sousaclone View Post
    How old are your kids? That'll make a difference

Weather should still be nice then.

Things I'd do / see:
    -Audobon Zoo
    -Explore the French Quarter (wear closed toes shoes if you go out at night! Sandals are not recommended)
    -Crawfish Boil!
    -WWII Museum is pretty cool if the kids are old enough.
    -Jean Lafitte Preserve is pretty cool. About 20 minutes from downtown and has some trails that walk straight through a swamp. I've been there before and there were 2' alligators like 2' off the trails (and some big ones out in the canals).
    -As others mentioned, eat! Lots of really good food, lots of seafood, and some amazing tastes that you won't get anywhere else.

Those just jumped off the top of my head.
    Crawfish boil, FTW. They should be coming into season pretty soon. Try and find a local one.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    Crawfish boil, FTW. They should be coming into season pretty soon. Try and find a local one.
    Was there a week ago, they are in season right now! Can get them by the lb boiled at Deanie's Seafood in the French Quarter (or their original location in Bucktown).

Agree with most of what has already been said. The food is the best attraction of NOLA by far. Also, if you want to listen to live music, stay away from Bourbon Street and instead check out Frenchman Street a little east of the French Quarter. You'll avoid the tourists and get to see some great local acts. I liked the Apple Barrel and d.b.a. (both on Frenchmen).

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,486
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 25

Unless you have a burning desire to say you've been to Florida, just go to Biloxi area for a day at the beach. Spend half as much time driving and more time actual on the beach. Be sure to take the kids to Bourbon Street. They will get all the sex education they need in one night.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 528

Quote Originally Posted by brother bob View Post
    I lived in Baton Rouge for three plus years and my dad still lives there and have been to New Orleans plenty of times for both business and pleasure. New Orleans is a great place to visit.

Don't forget to get to riding the trolly (approx. 35-45 minute ride from end to end) that will take you around some of the older houses and some great sites. You can ride it from Canal Street all the way through most of the city. DuMonde's for beignets and coffee/hot chocolate, Canal Street, Bourbon Street, Garden District, and Jackson Square. Also, if you'd like, there is the WWII museum. The River Walk is a must with all the great shops and foot courts...but a nice out of the way restaurant off the beaten path is a better bet. I know of a few and will help you find them if you'd like...directions are too long to type here. Have a Po-Boy or Mulattoes Red Beans and Rice, Gumbo, of any kind and Jambalaya ..great eats!!! Get in a 'haunted mansion' tour if y'all are into that sort of thing. Take lots of film or SD cards if not a camcorder.

Don't however, look too obvious a tourist - since the pick pockets are out if force 24/7/365! Invest in a money clip and keep it in your front pant pocket and keep a good hand on it...at all times - when down in the French Quarter/Bourbon Street/Garden District.

Make sure to keep together as a family and if possible, when in a crowd, hold hands and keep very close.

Some very nice tourism sites such as:

New Orleans Official Tourism Web Site - New Orleans Online

Honey Island Swamp Tours by Cajun Encounters Tours, New Orleans

Things to Do in New Orleans | NewOrleans.com

PM me if you'd like to know more...
    This poster has great advice. He hit the nail squarely on the head.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Crime isn't as bad down here as people still seem to think. You wont need a money clip. Don't eat on Bourbon St. If you are looking to try out Crawfish and want to buy some at a store go to Big Fisherman on Magazine St, can't eat them there but they boil them daily and do a good job. For breakfast try out Surreys also on Magazine St.

I have a ton of restaurant recommendations all over town from pop up restaurants in the back of dive bars that will be the best $15 meal you will ever have in your life to places like GW Fins or Stella's that will run you $ 40-50+ a plate. Both of those places are amazing. feel free to message me if you would like some more suggestions.

I have no idea what to do with kids down here. My favorite thing to do around the French Quarter is buy a beer at the corner markets and walk around drinking them when you finish buy a new one at the next store.

Rookie
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by tjh1984 View Post
    Crime isn't as bad down here as people still seem to think. You wont need a money clip. Don't eat on Bourbon St. If you are looking to try out Crawfish and want to buy some at a store go to Big Fisherman on Magazine St, can't eat them there but they boil them daily and do a good job. For breakfast try out Surreys also on Magazine St.

I have a ton of restaurant recommendations all over town from pop up restaurants in the back of dive bars that will be the best $15 meal you will ever have in your life to places like GW Fins or Stella's that will run you $ 40-50+ a plate. Both of those places are amazing. feel free to message me if you would like some more suggestions.

I have no idea what to do with kids down here. My favorite thing to do around the French Quarter is buy a beer at the corner markets and walk around drinking them when you finish buy a new one at the next store.
    The one thing to pay attention to with crime is just be aware of your surroundings. Neighborhoods can go from $750k+ homes to ghetto in just a couple of blocks (and then again in couple of blocks you'll be back in a decent part of town.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 742
    Given: 557

If you are down that way, hit up Cafe Du Monde for a heaping pile of Beignets. Mmmmmmm

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 8

I hadn't seen it suggested yet, but I went on a swamp tour a few years back and had a blast on it. Lots of fun for families/kids.

"Die rebel scum" - Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 61

Thanks all. My kids are 9,7, 6. I've done Bourbon street before and it's fun, but not on this trip.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,371
    Given: 86

Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    If you are down that way, hit up Cafe Du Monde for a heaping pile of Beignets. Mmmmmmm
    THIS. You'll hafta shameless swoop in on a table if you go in on a weekend.