Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Poetic Justice: Roosevelt over Valley

Roosevelt parent talking here. There's a separate thread that's days old about Peter Jok. Tonight's game was about way more than Jok. It was about Peter Nixon's dad transferring his son and Jok to Valley after a strong Rider team started 4 sophs and a junior 2 yrs ago and look very promising. It was about quitting your local program for more playing time, better coaching, a better chance to win, or whatever reason you believe motivated the Nixons. It was about the big suburban school getting rich at the expense of the underdog city school.

But unfortunately for Mr. Nixon it didn't work out very well tonight. His PG son was outplayed big-time by a Roosevelt sophomore and Jok's game got seriously exposed. Down by 2 with 25 seconds left Nixon bricked the front end of a one-and-one. After Roosevelt missed two FTs on the other end the game played out exactly as you would expect. Jok brought the ball up against pressure and barely managed to maintain possession before jacking up an off balance 30 foot prayer that barely drew iron, when he had teammates wide open for 2 point shots to tie the game. I would sum up Jeff Horner's offense as throw the ball to Jok and hope for the best.

Summary:
    - Valley made around 7 or 8 three pointers (only 2 by Jok) to score at least half their points, while Roosevelt went about 0 for 6 from three. In fact Roosevelt made maybe 2 or 3 jumpers the whole game
    - so Roosevelt's coach, McMahon, went old school -- all dribble penetration and low block isolation
    - in the end Roosevelt won a game that they had no business winning against a bigger, more experienced team with much better shooters
    - Valley lead by about 2-6 points almost all night but choked down the stretch
    - Jok scored 15, on a lot of shots and a lot of turnovers
    - my assessment of Jok after watching this game is that he does not have a D1 handle -- at crunch time he turned it over 2 or 3 times when Roosevelt turned up the heat defensively
    - not sure what Jok's position is in college other than a catch and shoot guy; he doesn't have the handle to play the 2, and he's not physical or athletic enough to play the 3 in a power conference. and I think he's a tweener defensively, not quick enough to guard an athletic wing player and not strong enough to guard a post up player
    - it was awesome to see a team give up three pointers consistently but battle back by committing to driving to the basket and throwing the ball into the post
    - if Roosevelt shoots FTs better this game does not go down to the wire
    - Coach McMahon schooled Jeff Horner. if the coaches switch sides before the game Valley probably wins by 15
    - the best player on the floor tonight was Roosevelt's Chris Bennett. the kid is tough as nails

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 75

Re: Poetic Justice: Roosevelt over Valley

I hope you feel better after running home to call out high school kids on a message board. Classy.

*** OFFICIAL 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC BIG 12 ELIMINATION COMPETITION CO-CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASKETBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011, 2012, 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011 and 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION ***

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,578
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by michaelrr1 View Post
    I hope you feel better after running home to call out high school kids on a message board. Classy.
    What's up Harrison Barnes?

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,427
    Given: 371

Quote Originally Posted by clonehome View Post
    - the best player on the floor tonight was Roosevelt's Chris Bennett. the kid is tough as nails

Nice to meet you, Mr. Bennett.

Read the post, desperately hoping to care...didn't.

Pro
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 34

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

as a roosevelt alum this win is nice, peter jok's brother dau is the classiest, hardest working person I have ever met (same graduating class) in a word peter is: not he had a rep for being lazy when he was at trhs the same time as me (before his injuries) its pretty shady what horner pulled to get nixon and jok over there, wish there wasn't such a bad situation surrounding two of the most important public schools in the metro.

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads