Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 115

Twister Sister Summary - Payback is sweet as State handles KU

What I thought was going to be a treacherous trip to Ames and a potentially treacherous game turned out to be the opposite. The interstates were handled well by the DOT and were clear sailing. Add to that the kindness of a friend who gave me wristbands to get into Johnny’s. Was a great way to spend some time before the game and at half with friends and some well-known faces. And then the surprise…the game wasn’t anything like I thought it might be.

I’ll get the bad part of this game taken care of right up front. Like the men’s game, this was not a defensive clinic. Goodrich and Engleman lit up the lady twisters for a combined 41 points. But you know what? That was about the extent of the KU threat.

The first half was simply explosive offense by both squads. KU would start off by hitting 3 straight shots from beyond the arc and would hold a slim 9-8 lead. Not to be outdone, our sisters would shoot a blistering 7 of 8 from the arc to start things off. Everyone seemed to be hot in this game. Leave anyone with a small glimpse of the basket and “swish” another tally to the scoreboard. It would be a back and forth game through much of the first half with the ladies pulling out to an eventual 9 point lead late in the stanza only to see it vaporize with a four point play and another hoop. Leading by 3 the ladies would get the ball to an aggressive Anna Prins for a nice baby hook to extend the lead back to 5 at the half. What was scary was the score. How often to you see a 44-39 halftime score for the sisters? These teams were putting the ball into the hoop at a blistering pace.

The highlight of the first half was the early foul trouble of Ms. Davis. She has been a thorn in our side for four years and she spent much of the game on the bench and was held to…wait for it…2 points, 5 personal fouls and 0 rebounds. She was completely shut down. It was a good thing too as when she was in the game it changed out inside game in a bad way. Every time she went out the ladies would do their thing. The other interesting observation I made was the game strategy of Coach Fennelly. As many of you know, our bigs have been having foul trouble of late and spending way too many minutes on the bench. How would you like it if all three (Pop, Prins and Hal) would combine to commit only 5 fouls total? How did it happen? Brilliance by our coach. He ran a continuous rotation of the three to keep them fresh and out of foul trouble. It worked to perfection. All three were in their game tonight.

The second half saw our ladies extend their lead to double digits and both squads cooled off…especially from distance. KU made a late push with a couple of 3’s, but the distance ball wasn’t a “huge” factor in the second, especially for our ladies who went only 1-8. Twice in the half KU would pull within single digits and the closest was with about 3 minutes left when a 13 point lead was cut to 7. It was during this time that we seemed out of sync. Davis fouled out and the play I saw by our ladies to put KU away was exemplary. There was a determination there, a fight, that you had to love watching. In the end, State would close them out as the game went from 75-68 to the final of 83-68. It was a solid win by the ladies in a very workmanlike fashion. Combined with OSU’s loss tonight they are guaranteed no worse than a 3rd place finish in the league.

Player of the Game? This is actually a tough one. Our three bigs were outstanding tonight. I loved Anna’s game. She was aggressive and shot 50% from the field on the way to 19 points and 9 boards. Yet, Pop…who struggled to score a little bit in the first half…ruled the second. Sorry my French, but it appeared that after one crazy call by an official she was (ok I won’t say what I’m thinking as the system edits it out anyway) mad. She was playing with a vengeance and could have been taking lessons from AJ or Knott the way she moved KU players around. 22 points, 11 boards and SIX assists. Add to that, she shot 12-13 from the line. Remember when she used to shoot in the 60% range? No more. Finally there was Hal. She is by far the most athletic player on the team and uses her finesse to make great moves and shots around the hoop. She was closely guarded outside, but inside she only hit 70% of her shots and made key rebounds. So..POG has to go to all three. It was as dominating as our bigs have played all year.

The little engine that could. That’s Kidd. She wasn’t a scoring factor tonight but on the boards she was mean. How about 7 in 21 minutes of play? I’ve compared her rebounding to Taylor before and I’ll do it again. She’s a go getter.

How about Moody? The upside was another double-double. Twelve points and 10 assists. The downside were the 6 turnovers. Several happened late in the game when KU made a bit of a run. She has this tendency to make what I call “lazy” passes that have no zip or no hope of reaching the player. That was her only downside and she handled the ball well running the point. A rather minor gripe if you ask me.

The surprise of the game was seeing Ashley Hagedorn make an appearance when Moody picked up her 2nd foul. Nice to see the faith in her by the staff.

No one is going to watch this game for the defensive lessons, but there were some great defensive stops. Those allowed the ladies to pull away when they needed to. Its just a rare thing when you see two teams shoot so well from the field.

Last point. I’ve been hard on officials of late and rightfully so. The crew tonight called an ok game. Pretty fair to both squads. Some bad mistakes, but fair.

Two games left folks. A trip to TCU on Saturday in what I think could be a trap game. Tonight and next Monday are payback games. One that got away in Lawrence and our worst drubbing of the season at OSU. Lowly TCU could rise up to bite us if we don’t have our heads on straight. They are young and improving. Their one win came last week against that same OSU team. Let’s hope the sisters put TCU away and come back ready for senior night on Monday. See you all there.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Payback is sweet as State handles KU

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Last point. I’ve been hard on officials of late and rightfully so. The crew tonight called an ok game. Pretty fair to both squads. Some bad mistakes, but fair.
    Let's hope the refs are a little gun shy of making bad calls on the cyclones both men and women now, they have been consistently getting away with it all year. That said, thanks for the write-up. I couldn't watch because of work last night, but I will watch the game as soon as I get a chance. This team hopefully needs to iron out the last few problems that exist with it and move into the NCAA with all cylinders firing. They are pretty close.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,192
    Given: 2,259

Note that the Sisters (remaining games @ TCU, OSU) have successfully avoided Baylor until the Big 12 Tourney Championship Game.

- They control their own destiny for second place as they own the tiebreaker (head to head, 2-0) over TTU (@KSU, OU). Any win by ISU combined with any loss by TTU means ISU immediately clinches 2nd seed in the tourney.

- If they end up in a two way tie for 3rd (ISU would have to lose out and OU win out to get there) with OU (KU, @TTU) they own the tie-breaker (head to head, 2-0).

- If they end up in a 3 way tie with TTU and OU for second (yes it could still possibly happen: ISU and TTU lose out, OU win out) they own the tiebreaker (round robin record between these teams, 4-0).

EDIT: I just noticed that I missed the eventuality of WVU winning out and ISU losing out to force a tie there. I would have to refigure but that would require WVU to beat Baylor at home on Saturday. I believe ISU would have the tiebreaker again since ISU has the better record against teams at the top of the conference in order of finish (vs. TTU 2-0 to 0-2, vs. OU 2-0 to 1-1).

If ISU ended up in a three way tie for third with WVU and OU (ISU lose out, WVU and OU win out) ISU would again hold the round robin tiebreaker at 3-1 to OU 2-2 and WVU 1-3.

ISU would also hold the tiebreaker if it was a four way tie for second (ISU & TTU lose out, WVU and OU win out) because ISU would have a round robin record of 5-1 among that group. (TTU 2-4, OU 3-3, WVU 2-4)

Last edited by VeloClone; 02-28-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Walk On
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

But what about if the windchill in Ames is below zero on Monday?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,192
    Given: 2,259

Quote Originally Posted by EHdakota View Post
    But what about if the windchill in Ames is below zero on Monday?
    There are plenty of weather guys on here. I won't step on their toes.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Anyone catch Moody's move on Goodrich in the open floor that made Angel fall down backwards?

Love to see some ankle breaking goin on in the women's game, thanks Nikki.

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Anyone catch Moody's move on Goodrich in the open floor that made Angel fall down backwards?

That was all kinds of fun to see! Reminded me of when everyone was so concerned a few years back about Iowa's Crystal Smith and if Lyndsey Medders would be able to handle her defensive presence. Result: Lyndsey made Smith trip over her own feet and fall to the floor at least twice, if not more. Good to see Nikki do the same with another small, quick defender.

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

Starter
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post

That wasn't the only one; there were a couple other really sweet moves going past Goodrich. Might have been the postgame radio interview where she said she has fun going up against her; they are friends off the court but all business on the court.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

Just watched the Kansas game, and the Kstate game. Kansas has surprisingly good shooters, but can't match up inside with us. Kstate just isn't that good right now. I noticed that the Cyclone website posted the FSN games for viewers to watch second hand. I really thank them for that. I can watch the Oklahoma game later. Great watching these Cyclones, Prins has been hitting some threes, and that opens up the inside more for Hallie and Pop. I hope she can keep doing it.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)