Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 9

Re: I hope Fred puts more emphasis on D in the future.

Yes district. #2 is a very solid defender who played excellent d tonight. Doesn't mean other areas don't need work.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by tcon1250 View Post
    Yes district. #2 is a very solid defender who played excellent d tonight. Doesn't mean other areas don't need work.
    Definitely agree. Just pointing out that we did contain the leading scorer and still lost, partially because some guy went all Lafester Rhodes and scored 39 points on us. It happens.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 17

When you score a lot, you give up a lot of points. Defense wasn't great tonight, but we did force a TON of turnovers.

I hope Fred puts an emphasis on building a ref buy-off fund. That's what we need.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 1,010
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 62

I would trade a few less points for a little better D. My guess is we would have at least two more wins right now.

It's no coincidence that our best year was also Fred's lowest scoring team IMO

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    I would trade a few less points for a little better D. My guess is we would have at least two more wins right now.

It's no coincidence that our best year was also Fred's lowest scoring team IMO
    Do you really think 1.6 PPG is a significant difference (2010 v. 2011)?

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 13

I didn't read anything in this thread, but I feel like our interior D is weak. A player like Withey allows the guards to play out and have a huge impact on the game. I would kill for a 7' center at this point.

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 855
    Given: 1,703

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan98 View Post
    There's something very wrong when you hit 17 3's, lose by 12, and let a guy averaging 9 ppg go off for 39.

You can't count on hitting those three's every single night, but you sure as hell can always lock someone down. Defense doesn't slump.

And for those of you bringing up McDermott; don't be idiots. Floyd and Eustachy ran solid defensive programs and had quite a bit of success against elite teams like KU. Eustachy won five in a row against Kansas; you don't do that by jacking up three's every time down the court.

More often than not the teams that can play good half-court defense are much more successful in March than those who can't. That's just a fact.
    Defense is great. I'm sure that Fred would like to have the manpower for a little better defensive performance. But taking shots at ISu's 3 point shooting is crazy after this game. ISU hitting 17 3's and shooting over 40% from 3 is what kept ISu in this game. They were facing one of the leading shotblockers in the country. They were going to have to score from outside. ISU created a lot of turnovers. They got stops, but couldn't get enough of them. They also had a guy who had been struggling and they made the decision to make an unlikely guy beat them. They helped with Johnson's guy early in the game and he got hot. This is a guy who struggled scoring the entire season. **** happens, it was still a good game plan. I would rather force the 6th option to beat me than stand around and let the 1st or 2nd option beat me like they have every other game.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Defense is great. I'm sure that Fred would like to have the manpower for a little better defensive performance. But taking shots at ISu's 3 point shooting is crazy after this game. ISU hitting 17 3's and shooting over 40% from 3 is what kept ISu in this game. They were facing one of the leading shotblockers in the country. They were going to have to score from outside. ISU created a lot of turnovers. They got stops, but couldn't get enough of them. They also had a guy who had been struggling and they made the decision to make an unlikely guy beat them. They helped with Johnson's guy early in the game and he got hot. This is a guy who struggled scoring the entire season. **** happens, it was still a good game plan. I would rather force the 6th option to beat me than stand around and let the 1st or 2nd option beat me like they have every other game.
    I agree that our 3 point shooting kept us in the game. However, would a shot blocker in the middle give us a defensive advantage in the middle that would negate an extra 3 point shooter.

With Whitey the KU guards can play tight D without being worried about their opposition driving to the hoop. It seems like it would make up for a fifth 3 point shooter.

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 1,010
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 62

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    Do you really think 1.6 PPG is a significant difference (2010 v. 2011)?
    I guess 2010 should probably be thrown out because Fred was lucky to get out olf them what he did frankly.

And really we're not far off of last year in results but I feel like this will be our ceiling more or less if we can't generate better D.

Losing games when we make 9+ 3's tells me we need to improve in an area besides offense in order to make the step forward.

Maybe we'll recruit better athletes to a point where we automatically play better D, but we're maxed out right now from a scoring perspective

Last edited by acgclone; 02-26-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,515
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 147

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    I guess 2010 should probably be thrown out because Fred was lucky to get out olf them what he did frankly.

And really we're not far off of last year in results but I feel like this will be our ceiling more or less if we can't generate women better D.

Losing games when we make 9+ 3's tells me we need to improve in an area besides offense in order to make the step forward.

Maybe we'll recruit better athletes to a point where we automatically play better D, but we're maxed out right now from a scoring perspective

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	18634

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    There's never been an elite eight team with a kenpom def efficiency >30. Ours is >100. Long term we have to improve d if we want to get to the level we all want.
    This is a completely made up statistic. You just have to look at last year to disprove it. Baylor was 40th and Florida 71st in Def Eff and both made the elite eight. I posted something about disagreeing with CW's "defensive isn't as important" to ISU viewpoint last week, but we don't need a top 30 defense. A top 50 defense with our offense would be more than enough.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

On the basis of this thread, then Self needs to focus more on team defense! He really needs to recruit players with better D too - - because KU allowed us to score 17 treys.

This is the team that just beat KState by what, 20 points, and we were a non-call away from winning. And you think you know more than Hoiberg?

Iowa State took a huge step forward at this game, because the Cyclones showed on national television what kind of ball we play - and how much fun it is to play and watch. There is no way that doesn't help recruiting.

So leave Hoiberg alone. He has done so much for this program in three years. I've read threads on cyclone fanatic that Fred needs to play better defense, needs to coach better, needs to be more emotional, needs to foul/not foul at the end of the game, needs to recruit more in Texas....and on and on.

Last year, everyone said that The Cyclones would have a bad year if White left. They predicted that we could not recover from losing more than 60% of our scoring. And look what happened? Let's just say that in 3 years, Fred has done just fine. It's some fan who can't keep up.....

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 965
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCy View Post
    Too many times tonight in KUs rotation on offense a guy got left eide open at the free throw line after we defended abou 30 seconds. That's a pretty easy shot for any college player.

you referring to Young or Withey? Both of those were left open there for a reason

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 122

Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    Again, we don't have to play defense like Eustachy did. But if this program is going to go where we hope it can, we need to play better defense. There's just no getting around it.
    Exactly. Coming into the game, in conference, KU was shooting 45%. They came into Hilton and shot 54% last night, with a 36-12 advantage in the paint. All ISU has to do is hold KU to their average, and ISU walks away with a comfortable win. Or just hold KU to 50%, and take the win. There's more going on than just lucky shots when a team goes on the road and shoots 10% over their average. The story is the same for at least three of the other conference losses as well. Just play average defense and ISU walks away with a win in those games. As for KU's defense, they held ISU to 36% shooting.

Last year, MU finished second in the conference and led the conference in scoring offense. They finished 6th scoring defense. That's not great defense, but average middle-of-the-pack defense, and with a high power-offense, it was good enough to challenge for the Big 12 title. Right now, ISU is 9th in scoring defense. If the team wants to get out of the heartbreak zone, they just have to get better on defense.

This team has the offensive firepower to be an Elite Eight, if not a Final Four team, but because of the defense, they might not even make the tourney...

Last edited by jbhtexas; 02-26-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 122

Quote Originally Posted by psyclone51 View Post
    On the basis of this thread, then Self needs to focus more on team defense! He really needs to recruit players with better D too - - because KU allowed us to score 17 treys.
    Wrong. KU held ISU to 36% shooting. If ISU could have even come anywhere close to doing that to KSU, ISU wins the game.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy