Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

PS3 / XBox360 / Wii

With the holidays approaching and some of the deals out there, I was curious on some member reviews for the consoles listed above. I currently have a Wii, but considered other memebers might not, so I went ahead and included that.

I have seen some good deals on 40GB hard drive versions of PS3 and have been itching to maybe get one. Any thoughts.

Anyway, my review for Wii since thats all I have.

Review: Children young and old can enjoy this system. With party games galoure, and the included Wii Sports, there are plenty of choices to even keep the toddlers entertained.

Graphics seem to be lacking compared to the other consoles, but its made up with the interactive controlls that really lets you feel like your part of the game. The controls can be touchy sometimes just like all motion / voice activated technology, but 90% of the time it works fine.

Depending on the games, some game freezes and glitches have been reported, but this is expected with all new consoles, let alone with something introducing a whole new way of gaming. Game selection is lacking. Most seem to be cartoonish and party oriented where the trend has been leaning more towards the RPG style games the last few years. Even with that said, even the silliest party games are fun enough. Besides, what other machine can you play regular Nintendo games on!

Conclusion: The Wii alone might not be satisfying enough for most serious gamers. But for families looking for some quick entertainment that the whole family can enjoy, this is a perfect fit. I would recommend having another game console to fullfill those RPG game needs until the Wii decides to introduce more.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 44

Re: PS3 / XBox360 / Wii

Agree 100% I rarely use my Wii - but if people are over that is the first thing we fire up.
    My 360 gets the most use. I even got my 80 something old grandparents to try the Wii. They liked it, and I was shocked! I'm still waiting for the PS3 to get a couple of games that I can't live with out. Until the PS3 has more games that I'm looking for I'll probably hold off. It's nice to see the price come down though.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,176
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

i personly like playstation 3 more... with xbox 360 after that.. i like sports games the most and i think PS3 has better graphics for sports games.. so thats the big thing for me.. also i like the controller better for playstation.. just seems to fit better..

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    i personly like playstation 3 more... with xbox 360 after that.. i like sports games the most and i think PS3 has better graphics for sports games.. so thats the big thing for me.. also i like the controller better for playstation.. just seems to fit better..
    I'll admit I have not looked closely at the PS3 sports line-up. What games do they have for sports that are only on the PS3?

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 127

I don't know, I still think it's a lot of money to have tied up in gaming hardware. Too many priorities for me. I like my Wii but can't hardly stomach spending $50/game - let alone another $400 on a machine plus $50-$60/game after that.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 871
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The nice thing for me is that I dont get games that often, and when I do, I play forever on it. NCAA piles up quicker than anygame I have. But with and HD tv, awesome graphics, and the controlls, I just like the way PS3 looks.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 127

That's true. The Wii has somewhat lame graphics but I've been blown away by the PS3 at Best Buy. I guess it depends on what will be easiest for me to win at Madden on

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 7

The problem with the wii for me, is I have not found any games that are as fun as wii sports. I just want those types of simple fun games.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 218

I have a Wii and it is great when I'm playing with a bunch of friends, but when I want to play a game by myself, sometimes I get sick of swinging the wii-mote around. There are times when I just want to sit down and be lazy, rather than moving all around. I think the Wii loses a lot of it's "novelty" after you've owned it for a while.

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 871
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ianoconnor View Post
    I have a Wii and it is great when I'm playing with a bunch of friends, but when I want to play a game by myself, sometimes I get sick of swinging the wii-mote around. There are times when I just want to sit down and be lazy, rather than moving all around. I think the Wii loses a lot of it's "novelty" after you've owned it for a while.

yea I'm with you on that. I miss being able to sit back and play a game. Straddle one leg on the couch, the other off the end, slightly ****-eyed but yet comfortable. The wii I'm at attention when playing.

The thing for me is a I dont get to much into the RPG games. So the story line doesn't get me involved. Instead I need the graphics and realism of the game play, and I could do that with the other systems. I thought I would go with 360, but it seems that the other systems are blowing that or catching up to blow that out of the water here soon. And PSone, PS2 have both done well with game selection and compatiablity with each other.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    Actually most reviews I've read for sports games, ie. Madden, NBA Live, NCAA Football/Basketball, say the PS3 falls behind the 360 in the visuals department. Most PS3 games, especially sports games, have framerate issues, and many like Madden only run at 30fps as opposed to 60fps on the 360.

My 360 gets the most love in my house, I use it every day pretty much. My wii gets used a lot less, usually just when family comes over. Although I'd like to pick up Super Mario Galaxy because I think my wife may actually like that one.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 82

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    That's the beauty of marketing to the casual gamers - there are lots and lots of them!
    Got to give Nintendo props for that.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 82

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    That's the beauty of marketing to the casual gamers - there are lots and lots of them!
    Got to give Nintendo props for that.

Now that they have had some success with this form of entertainment, I will be curious to see what they create next time around. Maybe they will go for super graphics AND different styles of play.. They have always been innovators.

Prospect
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I have the 360 for Halo2. And some of the other online stuff. Plus I love the college hoops and football games.

We also have the wii, which I look at as the one I can play with the wife and friends. I did just borrow one wii game that I am enjoying quite a bit. It's Power Pros. It's like 40 bucks new. It's a fairly simple style of play, but has all the big league players. Plus you can make your own players which is cool. It's got the create a player mode which works like an RPG. And than there is the season/franchise mode. I kind of like that one because it is only 10 years. I can't imagine playing a lot more than that before I want to switch it up anyways. So far, it's been a lot of fun. I also have heard great things about Galaxy, and I am getting Lego Star Wars for X-mas

I do agree though, the wii's novelty at first is great. I do like the system a lot, they just need to figure out what games are going to be on it.