Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DistrictCyclone

2013 NCAA MBB Coaching Changes

I was thinking this morning about which coaches could be on the hot seat, and I was having a hard time coming up with very many...certainly none that are in "Chizik status" and will surely be canned at the end of the year. Because of this, and because there doesn't seem to be any shiny new faces in the mid-majors that are standing out this year, I presume this will be a quiet offseason as far as coaching changes go. However, I thought I'd be interesting to get other peoples' opinions on who could be fired, and who could replace them. I'll start the ball rolling...

Tubby Smith (Minnesota): My guess is that he's the one in the most danger. Minnesota lights it up in the non-conference, but they've sure been wetting the bed in conference play under Tubby Smith. He's got 2 years left on his contract, and they got a new athletic director within the last year (from VCU...). Their 2013 recruiting class is not very strong, but they've got some really good guys considering them for 2014 (Vaughan, Tyus Jones, etc.). My guess is that he gets canned in time to introduce an up-and-coming stud to lock in the 2014 recruits, and the obvious choice given their AD is Shaka Smart from VCU.

Ben Howland (UCLA): Winning the PAC is still possible, especially with a date against Arizona at home coming up and an otherwise easy schedule, and the AD has been there forever and hired Howland. Still, the question came up last year and it could be "sink or swim" time given that UCLA will probably lose a lot of talent to the NBA this year. If he's canned, I imagine UCLA could have their pick of the litter for a replacement given their status as a college basketball blue-blood and being one of the few high-profile vacancies, so I have no clue who they'd target.

Jeff Bzdelik (Wake Forest): I was pretty surprised when they hired him from Colorado given that the hadn't proved anything there, and I'd always considered WF a pretty good program (dominant in the mid-90s, decent success through the 2000s). I've heard his name mentioned mostly in national press articles, but when you look into it more, it seems pretty unlikely that he'd get the boot this year. Their team is very young (loads of freshman, only 3 upperclassmen), have played in some extremely close games this year, and have even picked up some nice upsets (Miami, NCState). He's done a good job recruiting locally.

Bob Cantu (USC, interim): The guy's done a decent job getting USC to win some conference games after they sacked Kevin O'Neill, but I imagine that unless he pulls off a miracle and wins the PAC tournament or something, they'll replace him. It seems like they're aiming to elevate their basketball program and have a fairly new arena in the Galen Center, so my guess is that they'll try to pull in a marquee name from a major conference.

Chris Walker (Texas Tech, interim): No clue on this one. I've read some articles from the local press saying he should be made permanent, but their AD doesn't seem afraid to go for the splashy hires either (Kliff Kingsbury for football).

Jim Boeheim (Syracuse, retirement?): There's a good chance Boeheim could retire after this year...Syracuse is leaving the league Boeheim helped establish and has always been fond of, he's getting old, he's hit the 800 mark, etc. He could also want to stick around to shepherd in the new era, too. Even if the did retire, Mike Hopkins has been his successor-in-waiting for many years. The AD seems pretty risk-averse (promoted an assistant when football coach Doug Marrone left), and I imagine Syracuse would want to keep their East Coast recruiting ties intact when they start playing in the ACC.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 85

Re: 2013 NCAA MBB Coaching Changes

How about Frank Martin to Texas Tech? We know he can coach in the Big 12, but South Carolina seems like a poor fit for him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140

If Tubby Smith gets fired I will jump for joy. This only helps ISU get Vaughn.

Keepers of the Faith -- htiaF eht fo srepeeK

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 242

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    How about Frank Martin to Texas Tech? We know he can coach in the Big 12, but South Carolina seems like a poor fit for him.
    Huggy Bear to TT? He seems like a bad fit at WVU for this season.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard4Cy View Post
    If Tubby Smith gets fired I will jump for joy. This only helps ISU get Vaughn.
    What if they hired Shaka Smart? I'm guessing guys would rather play for Shaka than Tubby.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Huggy Bear is to WVU as CFH is to Iowa State. I don't see him voluntarily leaving for anything.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    West Virginia and Huggy Bear have one of those "no you hang up, no you hang up" relationships. BH isn't leaving unless they fire him, and WV isn't making a change unless he leaves. Alma-mater stuff. He did take them to the final four as well.

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    What if they hired Shaka Smart? I'm guessing guys would rather play for Shaka than Tubby.
    He isn't leaving VCU. And Brad Stevens isn't leaving Butler either.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 25

If you want to talk mid majors you have to bring up mark phelps. That guy needs to go, if drake wants to ever be relevant again. Herb sendek could be in trouble at Arizona state too.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 91

Howland, Rick Barnes, and Scott Drew could be the charter members of the "Do Less with More" club.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 256

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    Do you think there is a good chance Smart would go to Minnesota? He will again have his pick of schools and has turned down better gigs than that. It seems as though he is content with being at VCU and would leave for only a few specific schools.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 75

Craig Robinson at Oregon State. He is in year five and his only postseason appearances have been in the CBI. Highest conference in the Pac-then 10 was 5th, in a year when the conference was very weak. He is also Barack Obama's brother-in-law, which I could care less about but I feel like somebody will feel a need to mention it.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Do you think there is a good chance Smart would go to Minnesota? He will again have his pick of schools and has turned down better gigs than that. It seems as though he is content with being at VCU and would leave for only a few specific schools.
    Didn't Shaka flirt with Illinois last season, but ultimately didn't take the job to avoid the corrupt recruiting of Chicago? I could see him leaving VCU. I think he is much more likely to leave VCU than Brad Stevens is Butler.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    minny AD is former VCU AD, that's the connection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    Even with that connection, I don't think Shaka would leave for Minnesota.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 256

Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    Yes, it is well known Teague came from VCU, so...? Teague wanting Smart is not in question. Smart will again have his pick of schools and Teague being at Minn is not much of a factor. He may want to return to the Big 10- would he be content at VCU until a blue blood or Wisconsin came open? He did pass on a $1.3 million/year raise from Illinois.