Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 31

Twister Sister Summary - a copy of game 1 versus Kstate...only better

OK, last week I said that this was a game that had "gotcha" written all over it. Sure, I realize that K-State has only 7 healthy players. Yes, I knew none of their players were over 6 feet tall. Yet, Bramlage has always been a nightmare location for the Cyclones no matter how good we are. Well, as it turned out, offensively this was a repeat of game one. But the big difference? Read onů

You can say what you want about the offense and the great job that our bigs did today. Everyone from Prins, Pop and Hal all did their thing on the offensive side. BUT the difference today was defense. The first half was a clinic of lock down defense holding K-State to under 20% shooting and only 17 points. This is the bread and butter of Fennelly teams and that is exactly what you saw today. SEVENTEEN points. Anyone who watches basketball knows that two things have to happen to only score that many points. You have people who buy into the defensive structure and strategy and it combines with a team that isn't hitting shots. Yes, there were some plain misses, but there were also highly contested shots. In addition, K-State was severely limited on second chance shots as they only pulled in 6 offensive boards while the sisters were clearing THIRTY ONE defensive boards. That is what this game was about. It was intense, structured and well executed defense. Our ladies put the clamps on K-State in the first half in every way possible and just like game 1, the Kitty Cats were out of it early.

The second half was also very much a mirror of the game in Ames. With such a commanding lead (22 at the half) the ladies coasted the rest of the way pretty much doing what was necessary to hold the Cats at bay. As in game 1, the Cats made a push and closed to within 15, but the Kidd put a stop to that with some timely 3 point shots that ended any threat. Even thought the Cats would outscore the Sisters in the second stanza, they were a much different team than in the previous game. Ms. Chambers who scored 34 the first time around was held to only 18 (onlyůmost players would love to get 18 a game) and White was also 8 under the previous total. Its pretty simple, the Cats scored 21 fewer points this time around at home. Final score 69-50. That's Cyclone style.

The big news of the game beyond hanging on to 2nd place in the league, was Pop recording her 1000th career rebound. We've had three players pass 1000 points this season and while that is a big milestone, 1000 rebounds is spectacular. She is only the 2nd player in Iowa State history to hit the 1000/1000 mark putting her in league with Angie Welle. Remember she has her jersey hanging from the rafters. That's pretty lofty (no pun intended) company for Pop. I suspect her name could be up there some day. In the Big 12, there are only 13 other women to accomplish the same thing.

For once there weren't that many fouls called. That is both a sign of how both teams played, but as many of you know, how the officials called the game.

Hal continues to make her mark with another double-double today. I'm still touting her for an All Big 12 selection.

The 3's were falling today as the ladies hit a fantastic 42% while making 8. The consecutive game record now stands at 573.

Not much else to talk about here, so let's look ahead. The week off obviously rejuvenated the ladies legs. It was a great time for that break. Put this date on the calendar. Wednesday, February 27. Its payback time. Kansas comes to town and this is one of two games that State let get away this year. This is a very strange team. They lost at Texas on Wednesday after beating Oklahoma by 10 at home. They also only beat TCU by 1 on the road. Very inconsistent and typically a bad team on the road. Our ladies need to come out with the same type of effort that we saw today and the crowd needs to have Hilton Rocking.

Looking further ahead, the season closes with a fantastic lineup. TCU on the road. Not a gimme, but one that you would expect the ladies to pick up. Then its the final image game against OSU at home on a Big Monday game. This is the only game the entire season where our ladies just didn't show up. A very strange anomaly to an otherwise very competitive season. With it being senior night I suspect it will be a special game to watch.

Get out there Wednesday. Lets rock the house and help pound KU into chalk dust.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 11

Re: Twister Sister Summary - a copy of game 1 versus Kstate...only better

Great milestone for Pop - the "Thousand/Thousand Club"! The team is playing very well now, the WVU game notwithstanding. I like our chances to finish strong and snag a couple of wins in Dallas as well. I can't say enough about how Kidd has developed over the course of the season.

At the beginning of the season, I don't know that people were expecting Hallie to be leading the team in scoring in late February, but she certainly is. If she isn't 1st team All-Big 12, something is wrong. When all else has faltered, Hallie has been there to make baskets and grab rebounds. Before today, she had tied or broken her career scoring high in three consecutive games (totaling 79 points over those three games) and went over 1000 career points in the process. And we get her for another year!

Hope they are ready for Kansas this week and really run them out of the building. That will be win number 20 on the year, and number 11 in the league. We're in a good spot right now - keep it going!

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A side note. Special day in the Big 12. OSU's Toni Young matched Pop's accomplishment by joining the 1000/1000 club in a pounding of rapidly falling OU.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Unintended omission. I can be hard on Moody and rightfully so at times. Nicki had a great game today dishing 9 assists while only committing 3 turnovers. Outstanding!

Last edited by acoustimac; 02-24-2013 at 09:17 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Buster28 View Post
    Great milestone for Pop - the "Thousand/Thousand Club"! The team is playing very well now, the WVU game notwithstanding. I like our chances to finish strong and snag a couple of wins in Dallas as well. I can't say enough about how Kidd has developed over the course of the season.

At the beginning of the season, I don't know that people were expecting Hallie to be leading the team in scoring in late February, but she certainly is. If she isn't 1st team All-Big 12, something is wrong. When all else has faltered, Hallie has been there to make baskets and grab rebounds. Before today, she had tied or broken her career scoring high in three consecutive games (totaling 79 points over those three games) and went over 1000 career points in the process. And we get her for another year!

Hope they are ready for Kansas this week and really run them out of the building. That will be win number 20 on the year, and number 11 in the league. We're in a good spot right now - keep it going!
    Hallie couldn't even win Big 12 POW last week after averaging 27 points and 8 rebounds, which was a complete and utter joke. It will be interesting to see how the all conference voting goes.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    Hallie couldn't even win Big 12 POW last week after averaging 27 points and 8 rebounds, which was a complete and utter joke. It will be interesting to see how the all conference voting goes.
    It was a sham that Hallie did not get POW last week. I'm guessing it was because ISU lost the WVU game, that somehow cast a shadow on her accomplishment. But it was an amazing stretch of play as an individual, certainly worthy of POW.

During that week, ISU moved to 2nd place in the conference, despite the WVU loss, so it's a bit head-scratching. All in all, including the polls, ISU has not really gotten the national recognition it deserves for its place behind Baylor in the top league in the nation, including having strong defensive stats in its games against BU compared to teams in and outside of the Big 12.

Hallie should be first-team Big 12. Pop's achievement of 1000/1000 should also merit first-team placement, even though her stats are lower this year than last. The fact is that ISU has greater balance this year, and Pop does not need to be blasting it every night. She was worn out by tourney time last year, so that may be in our favor this year.

While there are still key games to play, several on our team should get Big 12 accolades in addition to Hallie and Pop. Kidd for freshman team or POY? Does Big 12 wbb have a sixth man award? Brynn for defense? And Moody's stats and impact should definitely put her in the running too.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 37

Thanks for the summary!

"I'll eat up all your crackers and your licorice."

-Humpty

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 982
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by cydney View Post
    While there are still key games to play, several on our team should get Big 12 accolades in addition to Hallie and Pop. Kidd for freshman team or POY? Does Big 12 wbb have a sixth man award? Brynn for defense? And Moody's stats and impact should definitely put her in the running too.
    I am thinking both Christofferson (5th in pts and 10th in rb) and Poppens get first team. Poppens does not have quite the stats of last year but I don't see them bumping this popular senior off that 1st team especially since she was a unanimous selection last year with Griner and Sims.

It will be close but Kidd could make freshman team considering she has gotten the freshman player of the week a number of times (good PR there for being noticed as a non-starter). There is a 6th man award that you would think has to be hers.

I don't know if Moody makes 2nd team or not. 2nd team is only five players while 1st team has ten. She has great assist numbers and leads the league when measured as a standalone stat but is 8th in the league when you go to assists-to-turnover ratio. Without the bad ratio stat you could make a case for her being 1st team but I cannot see 3 Cyclones 1st team, the Texas schools would throw us out of the league; it would be like Bill getting COY!

With all of that said keep in mind I don't know jack and this is just me clattering the keyboards on a Sunday!

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 5

I think Hallie and Pop get 1st team if we hold on to second. Griner and Sims are auto mastics, and there will be a feeling that one or two other Baylor players will need to be on it when the run the table again, which will make it tough for anyone else to get more than one. I don't think Nicky gets second team, since she was schooled by some of the other top PGs in the league. Even though Nicky leads in assists, Sims, Goodrich, and Bias are locks. Add guards like Chambers who have been stalwarts in the league, so it will leave little room for the rest of the PGs especially freshmen and sophs with two more chances.

Last edited by Royalclone; 02-24-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Regardless of whether or not Nicki makes an All-team, she has improved her point-guard skills greatly this season. She is making far fewer mistakes with the ball and is generally just more efficient in running the offense.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 7

Awards are:

Coach of the Year
    Player of the Year
    Newcomer of the Year
    Freshman of the Year
    Defensive Player of the Year
    6th Player of the Year

Teams are:
    First Team
    Second Team
    Honorable Mention
    All Defensive
    All Freshman

Quick guesses:
    COY - Mulkey
    POY - Griner
    Newcomer - ???
    Freshman - Zahna Medley, TCU - leading scorer among freshman, top freshman in assists, 5th in 3pt. percentage (all conference players), 3rd in 3 pts. made (all conference players), had 35 pts. against Kansas.
    Defensive POY - Griner (she won it last year)
    6th Player - ??? - Kidd would be considered for this, and the all Freshman team

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Thanks, again, Cous, for the great write up.

Walk On
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

im sure mulkey will get COY but it still baffles me that BF hasnt won COY, i may be bias but i think he deserves it this year.