Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 219
  1. #106
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,159, Level: 78
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,489
    Points
    64,159
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    I remember everyone trying to tell me Naz would start last year if he got that semester of eligibility.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  2. #107
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,159, Level: 78
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,489
    Points
    64,159
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    I still think Naz can be good, he just wasn't ready as a freshman for this level. He played very well against Lucious in the Capital City, I still think the potential is there... he just wasn't ready his freshman year. Just like SDW, difference we were able to RS SDW. Naz just might not have wanted too, or wasn't able to because of Bubu.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  3. #108
    Addict
    Points: 92,127, Level: 94
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,023
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,306
    Points
    92,127
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 11

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    I think (but I hope not) people are expecting a little too much from Monte and Matt. Don't get me wrong - they are as highly rated as we've had in a while, but there are so many adjustments to be made - mental, physical, defenses are bigger, quicker, and more sophisticated (except Scott Drew's), to say nothing of the lifestyle change that is college.

    Again, I hope they both step in and start at the 1 and 2, but thinking they'll average double-digits or start over a guy who's played against D1 competition for 4 years could be a bit dangerous.
    Ya, it's very tough to rely on two FR starting in your backcourt. Even if they both have fairly good seasons, they will likely be somewhat inconsistent. If not, that bodes very well for our future.

    Either way, we still have Bubu, Naz, SDW and Bluford at the 1 & 2.



  4. #109
    Addict
    Points: 110,960, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,592
    Points
    110,960
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 28

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    I still think Naz can be good, he just wasn't ready as a freshman for this level. He played very well against Lucious in the Capital City, I still think the potential is there... he just wasn't ready his freshman year. Just like SDW, difference we were able to RS SDW. Naz just might not have wanted too, or wasn't able to because of Bubu.
    I think Naz just needs time in the saddle. I see a guy who is physically ready, but in the few minutes he's had since Nov, he hasn't really made the right play at the right time. He's got the right ideas, but needs time to figure out the "when".



  5. #110
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,159, Level: 78
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,489
    Points
    64,159
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    The only reason Bubu could and very well might start next year is because hes mentally a head of Morris and Long(likely by a large margin too). I wouldn't rule out Morris being talented enough to overcome that, but I wouldn't count on it either.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  6. #111
    All-Star
    Points: 40,183, Level: 61
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thompsonclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,904
    Points
    40,183
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    In order for us to be good someone besides Niang and Ejim will have to score. Thomas is the leading candidate to do that in my opinion. If he doesn't, I don't know who else would.

    Bubu- Isn't a scoring threat
    Bluford- Will be a solid scorer.
    Gibson- Early in the season I might think he could be a guy who be up there in points in 2013 but I don't think so now.
    Amardi- Not a huge scoring threat
    Hogue- Same as Amardi
    SDW- I think he'll be a good scorer but he is only a FR too.
    Edozie- Not a scorer

    So if we shouldn't expect that much from Thomas and Morris because they are freshman then next year we will struggle to score. We will need Thomas to grow up fast and I think he will.



  7. #112
    Pro
    Points: 39,394, Level: 61
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Borger, TX
    Posts
    2,527
    Points
    39,394
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    I think (but I hope not) people are expecting a little too much from Monte and Matt. Don't get me wrong - they are as highly rated as we've had in a while, but there are so many adjustments to be made - mental, physical, defenses are bigger, quicker, and more sophisticated (except Scott Drew's), to say nothing of the lifestyle change that is college.

    Again, I hope they both step in and start at the 1 and 2, but thinking they'll average double-digits or start over a guy who's played against D1 competition for 4 years could be a bit dangerous.
    What are you talking about? This is BB, where highly rated, and not so highly rated, freshman come in all the time and dominate, and at the very least contribute. ISU has had guys like Blalock and Stinson who have lead the team in scoring as freshman. Guys like Sullivan and Power were not nearly as touted as these two and were great as freshman. No one expecting good things is being unreasonable. We are just too used to remembering the caliber of player that McDermott brought in. They definitely weren't ready to set the world on fire as freshman. These two look like they are.



  8. #113
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,159, Level: 78
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,489
    Points
    64,159
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    We need Thomas/SDW/Bluford to be able to be our Christopherson/Allen/McGee. Or something along those lines... we need multiple guys who can step in and drop threes for us.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  9. #114
    Legend
    Points: 406,279, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    State43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    10,379
    Points
    406,279
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 62

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thompsonclone21 View Post
    In order for us to be good someone besides Niang and Ejim will have to score. Thomas is the leading candidate to do that in my opinion. If he doesn't, I don't know who else would.

    Bubu- Isn't a scoring threat
    Bluford- Will be a solid scorer.
    Gibson- Early in the season I might think he could be a guy who be up there in points in 2013 but I don't think so now.
    Amardi- Not a huge scoring threat
    Hogue- Same as Amardi
    SDW- I think he'll be a good scorer but he is only a FR too.
    Edozie- Not a scorer

    So if we shouldn't expect that much from Thomas and Morris because they are freshman then next year we will struggle to score. We will need Thomas to grow up fast and I think he will.
    I disagree here


    Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

    If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls

  10. #115
    Speechless
    Points: 203,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,096
    Points
    203,044
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 57

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thompsonclone21 View Post
    In order for us to be good someone besides Niang and Ejim will have to score. Thomas is the leading candidate to do that in my opinion. If he doesn't, I don't know who else would.
    Great point. When I read this I immediately realized why Fred snatched up Buford so quick when he had an available scholarship. He is a scorer, and we need them for next year.



  11. #116
    Addict
    Points: 110,960, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,592
    Points
    110,960
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 28

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    What are you talking about? This is BB, where highly rated, and not so highly rated, freshman come in all the time and dominate, and at the very least contribute. ISU has had guys like Blalock and Stinson who have lead the team in scoring as freshman. Guys like Sullivan and Power were not nearly as touted as these two and were great as freshman. No one expecting good things is being unreasonable. We are just too used to remembering the caliber of player that McDermott brought in. They definitely weren't ready to set the world on fire as freshman. These two look like they are.
    The fact that you had to go back to Stinson and Blalock proves my point.

    Its more often that we have Buckleys, Manns, Okoros, Longs. I'm just saying we need to check our expectations, or we'll find ourselves disappointed and down on Monte and Matt some time next year.



  12. #117
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,587, Level: 73
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    BallSoHard4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,125
    Points
    56,587
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 24

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    It seems like everyone would be happy if Malou were to take Edozie's scholly (if he commits)

    just remember to watch what you say. It's been proven that recruits see this sight and are not always happy with what they see.


    Keepers of the Faith -- htiaF eht fo srepeeK

    Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

  13. #118
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,159, Level: 78
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,489
    Points
    64,159
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    The fact that you had to go back to Stinson and Blalock proves my point.

    Its more often that we have Buckleys, Manns, Okoros, Longs. I'm just saying we need to check our expectations, or we'll find ourselves disappointed and down on Monte and Matt some time next year.
    I'm guessing he went back to then, because thats the last time we had quality recruits like these. You could look at Iowa, who when I went to the Iowa/ISU game this year it seemed like they had three freshman and a sophomore starting. Its college basketball, lots of freshman play, the redshirt isn't all that common either.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  14. #119
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,159, Level: 78
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,489
    Points
    64,159
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard4Cy View Post
    It seems like everyone would be happy if Malou were to take Edozie's scholly (if he commits)

    just remember to watch what you say. It's been proven that recruits see this sight and are not always happy with what they see.
    They aren't happy with what they see on twitter, or what the hear in person even if its not directly to them. They don't always like what the read in the papers. Its part of the job, deal with it or don't do it. And we didn't lose anyone because of it. Sure it hurt his feelings, but he got over it and still committed here.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  15. #120
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,587, Level: 73
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    BallSoHard4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,125
    Points
    56,587
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 24

    Re: Blog: How will the JuCo's affect next season?

    Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    They aren't happy with what they see on twitter, or what the hear in person even if its not directly to them. They don't always like what the read in the papers. Its part of the job, deal with it or don't do it. And we didn't lose anyone because of it. Sure it hurt his feelings, but he got over it and still committed here.
    Umm we almost lost that one corner to Indiana in football because of CF, per HIS words, he ended up signing though.

    and I'm sure Georges' mom doesn't necessarily like our comments about his body.


    Keepers of the Faith -- htiaF eht fo srepeeK

    Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM