Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,339
    Given: 1,291

Meeting the Parents

Another story time! Friend's b-day party last night and he mentions that this weekend his new girlfriend will be meeting his parents for the first time and talked about how nervous everyone was. Made me think of the first time my parents "officially" met my now husband............what are your best stories, whether or not you are still with the person?

Mine - DH (husband) is the youngest of three so by the time we started dating, he was the only one left at home. Me being the oldest of four, the first several dates I went to his house so we could hang out without him being observed like a zoo animal. By the third date he mentioned that his parents thought it was odd that he never came to my house, and I knew the jig was up. I wheedled one more date at his house in, and then agreed that he could come to my house.

He had been to our house once earlier that winter for a sledding party in which while chasing my brother during a game, he fell, cracked open his chin and got a nice scar, so I was already thinking of all the ways things could go wrong. So Friday rolls around and things start off pretty well. Then one of my brother brings in the home videos. He plays the most embarrassing video of me that will ever exist and continues to do so for the next couple hours, along with everyone else chiming in with "remember the time Cowgirl did this amazingly stupid/embarrassing thing?" All the while, this same brother is pretending to hit on DH by making little comments and stroking DH's leg. Why? Who knows, he's my brother, I think embarrassing their sister is part of brother law.
    I'm determined to wait out their bedtime so DH and I can, erm, chat. Oh no, "let's play cards!!" Ok, a couple games and they'll go to bed, right? WRONG. The same brother sat next to DH and continued with his strange (normal for him) behavior. At 2AM my mom says it's time for them to go to bed, but being my siblings, they continued to be "thirsty" or need the bathroom, or "forget" something downstairs until I give up and let DH go home......well past his curfew.

Amazingly, DH came back and eventually decided he could put up with it forever.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 507

Re: Meeting the Parents

My brother's are good at are good at hazing. My wife's name is Amanda. My one brother asked her "What's your last name? Hugnkiss?" Without missing a beat she said yes actually my last name is hugnkiss. For the next two hours my brother was ****** because she wouldn't tell them her actual last name. She held her own.

Ill put any dollar that if I get this ball again, Long said, Its going in.
    - Naz Long to Markel Brown before hitting the game tying shot.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 774
    Given: 3,115

To preface, I am a klutz.

When I met my husband's parents, it was harvest season, and they lived on a farm at the time. I have a horrible, awful dust allergy, and had forgotten my allergy prescription at home. We get up there, I meet everyone... and start sneezing. And sneezing. And sneezing. Seriously, every 30 seconds I was sneezing, hundreds and hundreds of times. I finally called my doctor and had him call in a prescription to a local pharmacy (since we were two hours from home), and that helped.

So, then that night around 10 we went to visit at his brother's house, and to meet some friends. It was a tiny town, so we decided to walk from one person't house to the other's. I was unfamiliar with the layout, so I didn't see the curb coming that I stepped off incredibly awkwardly, feeling a big "pop" as I did so. I limped around the rest of the weekend (also with my bloodshot eyes from my allergies), and went and got crutches on Monday when I got home.

I'm gathering that I was very impressive.

M 7/09

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by peteypie View Post
    My brother's are good at are good at hazing. My wife's name is Amanda. My one brother asked her "What's your last name? Hugnkiss?" Without missing a beat she said yes actually my last name is hugnkiss. For the next two hours my brother was ****** because she wouldn't tell them her actual last name. She held her own.

that's awesome! By the next few dates DH became the same way (and he tells me that the night was funny, just mortifying for me), but I don't think he quite knew how to react since he had no younger siblings and his family was a little more normal than mine. He got my brother good one time one he started reciprocating the "hitting on" and my brother didn't know what to do.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,553
    Given: 741

The first time I met my high school girlfriend's parents, we had dinner, and got to telling different stories about dogs. Mine involved a Pekingese we had who ran full bore towards our stereo cabinet, thinking she could go underneath it. My girlfriend's dad somehow got the impression that this killed the dog, and being tense, for some reason I went with it. Luckily it never came up again.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    To preface, I am a klutz.

When I met my husband's parents, it was harvest season, and they lived on a farm at the time. I have a horrible, awful dust allergy, and had forgotten my allergy prescription at home. We get up there, I meet everyone... and start sneezing. And sneezing. And sneezing. Seriously, every 30 seconds I was sneezing, hundreds and hundreds of times. I finally called my doctor and had him call in a prescription to a local pharmacy (since we were two hours from home), and that helped.

So, then that night around 10 we went to visit at his brother's house, and to meet some friends. It was a tiny town, so we decided to walk from one person't house to the other's. I was unfamiliar with the layout, so I didn't see the curb coming that I stepped off incredibly awkwardly, feeling a big "pop" as I did so. I limped around the rest of the weekend (also with my bloodshot eyes from my allergies), and went and got crutches on Monday when I got home.

I'm gathering that I was very impressive.

this makes me think of that date on Hitched when Will Smith starts guzzling the allergy medicine, haha. That sounds pretty miserable for you though!

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

My mom talks all the time and she went shopping on Black Friday with my wife one of the first times I took her home. My wife put up with it all day and I knew I had a keeper when she still thought I was the greatest after being exposed to that. My brothers were pretty quiet( I think they were stunned I had brought home such a great girl.)

My trip to her family was pretty uneventful. I remember her mom sizing me up. I was probably more nervous than anyone else in that equation.

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 609

My first girlfriends family was pretty messed up. I'd seen her dad a few times around town but I'd never talked to him. He knew who I was, too, we just hadn't gotten around to talking.

Anyhow, he was a pretty big-time alcoholic and I knew that beforehand.

So the day comes when I was going to meet him. Keep in mind I'm in high school and this dude already scares the **** out of me because A) He is my girlfriends dad B) He looks like the dude that says "you can count on me, meeting you, in the parking lot" in Happy Gilmore and C) He's the first alcoholic I knew.

So my girlfriend and her mom were planting in the garden and I was watching. They asked me to go down to the basement and ask her dad for an empty milk carton and a steak knife. My girlfriend knew I was scare ******** and told me "it'll be fine he's not doing anything"

So I go down there. Her dad is sitting in his chair in just his boxers watching Nascar qualifying with 6-7 beer cans on the coffee table right next to him. We make eye contact and he goes "You Cubswin?" "Yeah" "What do you want?" "Uh your wife wants an empty milk carton and steak knife for the garden" "Oh yeah I can do that" he gets up, grabs the steak knife, looks at it, then at me, then says "just kidding" and hands it to me.

I didn't talk to him until 3 months later. His daughter had a soccer game against East Marshall and his wife was giving me a ride to the game. Before we left, I was sitting in the car by myself as she ran to get her purse. He came out of the house to talk to me, beer in hand. I thought "Oh ****."

"Where you going?"

"East Marshall to watch xxxxx play soccer"

"Oh...Marshall County has some of the most prettiest girls in the state. Hope you get it in"

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 805

Mine wasn't really awkward, but I ended up meeting my fiance's parents a week after we started dating. They just happened to be in town (from Michigan) so I couldn't really NOT go meet them. They are super nice, though, and it was a free dinner!

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 609

Oh, and Cowgirl, my plan for Tuesday's mafia day is to give my worst parent story of all time. Pretty sure it will get me an instakill.

Starter
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 4

When I was meeting my girlfriend's high school friends for the first time (on my gf's 21st birthday), her dad called me by the name of her ex-fiancee in front of a bunch of them. So that was cool.

In fairness, our names are somewhat similar and her dad is a good guy, so it was an honest slip and not malicious. But it put a damper on things.

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 300

The first time my mom met my wife, my mom got all excited and said, "You look like your Facebook picture!"

Clearly someone had been doing some Facebook stalking...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclones01 View Post
    The first time my mom met my wife, my mom got all excited and said, "You look like your Facebook picture!"

Clearly someone had been doing some Facebook stalking...
    HAHAHA, oh that's terrible! What did your wife think?

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 300

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    HAHAHA, oh that's terrible! What did your wife think?
    She thought it was hilarious, but I was pretty embarrassed because we hadn't been dating that long.

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 372

When I met my wife's parents for the first time it was Halloween and I was Gene Simmons dressed (make-up and all) as his KISS character.