Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Chris' musings

I think my point is and what is disturbing is that some of the leadership of this site does not want anything bad or critical of ISU athletic program. Everything has to be glass half full or up beat. That isn't life and how do you address problems if you can't say anything negative ever?

Some things we can't change as a fan base, but on a message board created for fans to discuss topics we should be able to voice frustration. I agree some take it way too far, but 99% of us don't. If players can't handle criticism:
    1) I wonder what the practices are like and if coaches are doing their job
    2) maybe they should just stay off this site.
    For every criticism on this site their are at least two praises for a job well done. If you want the one you should be able to tolerate the other.

If this site is determine to cut back on this, why not create a meltdown forum that you have to opt in to see like the cave.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 18

Must pass breathalyzer with BAC of .2 to post.

'Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius-and a lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction.'
    -Einstein

Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 61

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I think my point is and what is disturbing is that some of the leadership of this site does not want anything bad or critical of ISU athletic program. Everything has to be glass half full or up beat. That isn't life and how do you address problems if you can't say anything negative ever?
    That isn't true at all. Negative reaction to a loss is very, very normal. I'm fine with that. You don't have to be positive all of the time. Hell, if that was the case I wouldn't have a job. But it is the ridiculous meltdown on the forum that used to happen once or twice a year, now seems to happen after every loss, regardless of the opponent.

It is partly natural too. I'd venture to say that 5-10 percent of posters fall into this category. Well as the site has grown over the years, so has that percentage. It makes sense really.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 62

The venting is pretty funny... probably more undestandable when you take into account the way we have lost some of these road games like Texas, OSU, KU. They were all major kicks to the junk.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    That isn't true at all. Negative reaction to a loss is very, very normal. I'm fine with that. You don't have to be positive all of the time. Hell, if that was the case I wouldn't have a job. But it is the ridiculous meltdown on the forum that used to happen once or twice a year, now seems to happen after every loss, regardless of the opponent.

It is partly natural too. I'd venture to say that 5-10 percent of posters fall into this category. Well as the site has grown over the years, so has that percentage. It makes sense really.
    Its because we don't suck anymore. No reason to meltdown when you know the seasons a total loss from game one, like the GMAC years. This is one of the prices of winning. You should see the meltdowns from the fan bases that are truly successful. ISU is tame, very tame.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 4

I think the main difference is that people expect more out of our athletics now, before, there was only 1 or two teams in say football that we actually thought we could beat, so now that expectations are higher, so is the disappointment when those expectations aren't met.

I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

Prospect
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The negative on here is pretty bad after loses. I think it does have to do with that expectations are higher, but still stupid. Those kids are playing a lot harder than most of us can imagine.

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Not to be mean peeps but if you are putting a ton of eggs into the Cyclone Athletics basket your ROI on that investment is going to be rather volitile and have very small retruns. You are better off hedging that investment in somthing more stable like video games, jogging, or maybe building model rockets all of which will stabalize your portfolio and save you a total CF meltdown after every ISU loss.

Smoke um if you got um

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 127

This increasing meltdown phobia can be attributable to more chances frittered away in games when we actually have a chance to win. This year, each football game and bball game were winnable if certain events happened.

The previous two bball coaches did as expected and lost games and so no one was as upset. McDearmat had almost burned all his bridges especially when the young players left town. With CFH, expectations are very high and will remain high. This is the first bball breath of life in a sports program since LE. CPR brought a fresh passion to the team and made internet prominence. He is a great public figure and attracts attention.

With the yardbarker internet, twitter and facebook tracking, the sports world is now turning into the entertainment world and it is now less about sports. It is becoming more what happens off court where the fans are now participating. ESPN is no longer the sole source of sports info. Even CNN dropped SI and went with yardbarker. This is the way things are headed....we have to expect it...

Last edited by Wesley; 02-19-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,136
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by nickcyv View Post
    Its because we don't suck anymore. No reason to meltdown when you know the seasons a total loss from game one, like the GMAC years. This is one of the prices of winning. You should see the meltdowns from the fan bases that are truly successful. ISU is tame, very tame.
    I like to think people in the Midwest are more rational and, well, sane than the rest of the country. You dont have to expect people to act like 12 year olds when their favorite team loses just because fanbases on the coasts with disproportionate numbers of idiots do it.

Publisher
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Great post. A lot of truth to that. I get it.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 66

I get a lot of crap because I bag on certain people who fall into the "negative" camp but to be honest, there is only certain kinds of posts that rub me the wrong way and probably many others here too.

1. Negative about a recruit (Especially one that we have 0 video on) that the staff is actively recruiting or has committed. Now, opinion about his skillset is one thing, questioning how he fits in or what his role would be is completely understandable. Making comments like "He sucks" "He isn't good enough, blah blah" seems pointless and only really hurts the situation. 0 benefit and only usually sparks an argument that lasts 4 pages and only encourages worse posts.
    2. Every loss is the end of the world, we are NIT. <--These people should expect to get ****.
    3. Players don't care. Yeah, they don't care as much as your fat @$$ sitting on your couch with a beer in your hand thinking they owe you a win every game. Good grief.
    Now, if the mods are okay with any of it, fine. But just as you have your opinion, I still have the right to tell you to S-T-F-U.

Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post
    I like to think people in the Midwest are more rational and, well, sane than the rest of the country. You dont have to expect people to act like 12 year olds when their favorite team loses just because fanbases on the coasts with disproportionate numbers of idiots do it.
    This. I guess I want our board to be above the rest. Upset, irrational fans is part of it. I get that. It's the ridiculous overreacting that I'd like to tone down.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This year it seems to be the way we have lost as well. The Tech game probably deserves a pretty good meltdown, that is an unacceptable loss, but the KU, OSU, and UT games were real heart breakers.

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This year it seems to be the way we have lost as well. The Tech game probably deserves a pretty good meltdown, that in an unacceptable losss, but the KU, OSU, and UT games were real heart breakers.
    Heartbreakers, yes, but it wasn't like the team just didn't show up (like Tech). Tech deserves a meltodown. KU, OSU, probably not. UT, maybe. I'd vote no but I know a lot of people would disagree with that.