Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 54,422, Level: 72
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,218
    Points
    54,422
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 89

    Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    A friend of mine told me a few years ago that there is one way to beat an Iowa State team - play physical. Beat them up. Get them uncomfortable. That is exactly what West Virginia did and they walked out of Hilton with a 68-66 victory...something not many teams can do.

    I'm going to start this summary off with a view observations and then talk about the game.

    The officials. For the first time I walked away from a game really angry at the officials. Really angry. I've seen good officials (or at least consistent ones) in the Big 12. I've seen bad officials that are also consistent and equally bad. What I saw today were bad officials that couldn't call the game the same on either end. There were Iowa State bodies being shoved around, slapped, scratched, and thrown to the floor with hardly a foul called in the process. I'm mad at the Big 12 offices for allowing this to happen. Its these type of officials that are fundamentally changing the game of women's basketball...for the worse. Its no longer just about talent on the court, its about physically beating someone up.

    The guards. Outside of about a 2 minute period in the second half when Nicki hit a trio of 3 pointers, the guard court was abysmal today. Nicki didn't value the ball. She made terrible, lazy passes. The perfect example was the pass she made to the top of the key...no one was there. She literally left it up for grabs. What happened? WVU stole the ball, went down for a layup with only Pop trying to defend. In the process Pop picked up her 5th foul and we were in trouble. One lazy play and you lose a scoring opportunity, foul out your post, and give up points to the other team. Kidd was a nearly a non-factor on offense. 0-5 from 3. 1-9 from the field. The guards combined for 10 turnovers. What was worse was their defense. There were times when they had no idea who to cover. WVU had numerous drives down the lane for uncontested layins and wide open 3 point shots. K&M were either slow of foot, lost, or confused. It was bad. Value the ball ladies. Get back to your defensive fundamentals.

    The posts - I'm not sure what is going on there. As Coach Fen mentioned after the game, the latest trend is for our posts to collect lots of fouls. Today was no exception as Anna was in trouble with 3 in the first half and both fouled out with WAY too much time on the clock. It put this team in major trouble in the later part of the second half. Both played less than 30 minutes and Pop only took a total of 4 shots. Anna's 7 were a bit misleading as most (5) were from beyond the arc. We literally had zero inside offensive presence in this game. One thing you always get from Pop is her hustle and in the minutes she was in she made some hustle plays. We just need her to STAY in the game.

    Who does that leave? Hal. This lady is playing at All Big 12 level right now. She showed up to play tonight on both ends of the court. Another 27 point effort (which put her over the 1000 point mark for her career) along with 6 boards and 2 steals. Right now she is the one consistent player on this team. Day in and day out she is playing at team MVP levels.

    So what in the world happened in this game that you don't already know? Would you believe that the first five minutes made you think this would be a runaway as the ladies moved out to a 10-0 lead and held an 11 point lead much of the half. Unfortunately those alluded to defensive lapses allowed WVU to get back in the game time and again. The worst of it was right before the half when Kidd lost her coverage on defense and allowed WVU to hit consecutive 3 pointers to slice the lead to 3. Late in the half I commented to my wife that I knew Bill was torqued. He was so red in the face it was crazy. He was definitely upset with the officiating, but I think he was equally or more upset with the play of his team. A buddy called me up and said that Bill was so incensed that he almost bit the head off of the television interviewer during the quick interview at the end of the half. As bad as things seemed at times State at least had the lead at half 27-22. During that first five minutes State was shooting at a 67% clip having made 4 of 6 shots. From that point on ugliness prevailed with missed threes all the way down to bunnies as they only hit 4 out their final 17 shots. I don't think they made a single field goal (perhaps 1) in the last 9 minutes.

    The second half was a battle. We continued to be outphysicaled throughout the half and had to make due without the services of Pop and Prins for much of it. Really makes me wonder how deep Zimm is on the depth chart. We could have used her size today. The game would go back and forth with both teams sharing the lead all the way to the end. Each time that State would make a little push, and a few times they pulled to a five point lead, it seemed they would follow it up with carelessness, turnovers or defensive lapses. In the end it would come down to turnovers. How about 5 in our last 5 possessions. All with a chance to tie or take the lead. In the end it would be another turnover that would put the last chance to rest as the inbounds pass was fumbled away as we trailed by two. Final 68-66 but it was more painful than that.

    Notes:
    The WVU bench outscored Iowa State's 41-6.

    WVU shot 68% from the field in the second half!!!

    WVU dominated in the paint outscoring the sisters by 36-24 there. Most of that damage was in the second half. The points off of turnovers was just as dominating 16-8.

    As I mentioned in another thread, things don't get any easier. KState is one week away and even with their 7 player team they will bring it all. Things are always difficult in Manhattan and if our posts can't stay out of foul trouble this team will struggle mightily.

    All that being said, there are a couple of small bright spots. WVU lost at home to OSU, ISU, and Kansas and then beat all three on the road. Strange, but true. Hal is playing lights out. 'Nuff said. This team can get its leg back and turn this disappointment around in a hurry. The key starts with defense. Get it fixed ladies. The second? Learn how to handle full court pressure and a physical game. As Coach Fen stated post game...its up to the coaches to have them ready to go. I have no doubt they will be.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 33,956, Level: 56
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fairfield
    Posts
    1,086
    Points
    33,956
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-more-you-know-by-deviantart-StathisNHX.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	851.1 KB 
ID:	18331


    I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I'M FEELING 22!

  3. #3
    Walk On
    Points: 5,500, Level: 21
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    177
    Points
    5,500
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    All three officials were men. Havent seen that combo in awhile. A nice quote from mike caret "Great crowd, great atmosphere. My god, they do it right here." - West Virginia's head coach Mike Carey on Iowa St. Also oklahoma lost to kansas so we are still no.2



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 391,935, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,266
    Points
    391,935
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 264

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    Hallie is carrying the team right now.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 447,038, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneRulzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    18,740
    Points
    447,038
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 754
    Given: 1,890

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    A friend of mine told me a few years ago that there is one way to beat an Iowa State team - play physical. Beat them up. Get them uncomfortable. That is exactly what West Virginia did and they walked out of Hilton with a 68-66 victory...something not many teams can do.

    I'm going to start this summary off with a view observations and then talk about the game.

    The officials. For the first time I walked away from a game really angry at the officials. Really angry. I've seen good officials (or at least consistent ones) in the Big 12. I've seen bad officials that are also consistent and equally bad. What I saw today were bad officials that couldn't call the game the same on either end. There were Iowa State bodies being shoved around, slapped, scratched, and thrown to the floor with hardly a foul called in the process. I'm mad at the Big 12 offices for allowing this to happen. Its these type of officials that are fundamentally changing the game of women's basketball...for the worse. Its no longer just about talent on the court, its about physically beating someone up.

    The guards. Outside of about a 2 minute period in the second half when Nicki hit a trio of 3 pointers, the guard court was abysmal today. Nicki didn't value the ball. She made terrible, lazy passes. The perfect example was the pass she made to the top of the key...no one was there. She literally left it up for grabs. What happened? WVU stole the ball, went down for a layup with only Pop trying to defend. In the process Pop picked up her 5th foul and we were in trouble. One lazy play and you lose a scoring opportunity, foul out your post, and give up points to the other team. Kidd was a nearly a non-factor on offense. 0-5 from 3. 1-9 from the field. The guards combined for 10 turnovers. What was worse was their defense. There were times when they had no idea who to cover. WVU had numerous drives down the lane for uncontested layins and wide open 3 point shots. K&M were either slow of foot, lost, or confused. It was bad. Value the ball ladies. Get back to your defensive fundamentals.

    The posts - I'm not sure what is going on there. As Coach Fen mentioned after the game, the latest trend is for our posts to collect lots of fouls. Today was no exception as Anna was in trouble with 3 in the first half and both fouled out with WAY too much time on the clock. It put this team in major trouble in the later part of the second half. Both played less than 30 minutes and Pop only took a total of 4 shots. Anna's 7 were a bit misleading as most (5) were from beyond the arc. We literally had zero inside offensive presence in this game. One thing you always get from Pop is her hustle and in the minutes she was in she made some hustle plays. We just need her to STAY in the game.

    Who does that leave? Hal. This lady is playing at All Big 12 level right now. She showed up to play tonight on both ends of the court. Another 27 point effort (which put her over the 1000 point mark for her career) along with 6 boards and 2 steals. Right now she is the one consistent player on this team. Day in and day out she is playing at team MVP levels.

    So what in the world happened in this game that you don't already know? Would you believe that the first five minutes made you think this would be a runaway as the ladies moved out to a 10-0 lead and held an 11 point lead much of the half. Unfortunately those alluded to defensive lapses allowed WVU to get back in the game time and again. The worst of it was right before the half when Kidd lost her coverage on defense and allowed WVU to hit consecutive 3 pointers to slice the lead to 3. Late in the half I commented to my wife that I knew Bill was torqued. He was so red in the face it was crazy. He was definitely upset with the officiating, but I think he was equally or more upset with the play of his team. A buddy called me up and said that Bill was so incensed that he almost bit the head off of the television interviewer during the quick interview at the end of the half. As bad as things seemed at times State at least had the lead at half 27-22. During that first five minutes State was shooting at a 67% clip having made 4 of 6 shots. From that point on ugliness prevailed with missed threes all the way down to bunnies as they only hit 4 out their final 17 shots. I don't think they made a single field goal (perhaps 1) in the last 9 minutes.

    The second half was a battle. We continued to be outphysicaled throughout the half and had to make due without the services of Pop and Prins for much of it. Really makes me wonder how deep Zimm is on the depth chart. We could have used her size today. The game would go back and forth with both teams sharing the lead all the way to the end. Each time that State would make a little push, and a few times they pulled to a five point lead, it seemed they would follow it up with carelessness, turnovers or defensive lapses. In the end it would come down to turnovers. How about 5 in our last 5 possessions. All with a chance to tie or take the lead. In the end it would be another turnover that would put the last chance to rest as the inbounds pass was fumbled away as we trailed by two. Final 68-66 but it was more painful than that.

    Notes:
    The WVU bench outscored Iowa State's 41-6.

    WVU shot 68% from the field in the second half!!!

    WVU dominated in the paint outscoring the sisters by 36-24 there. Most of that damage was in the second half. The points off of turnovers was just as dominating 16-8.

    As I mentioned in another thread, things don't get any easier. KState is one week away and even with their 7 player team they will bring it all. Things are always difficult in Manhattan and if our posts can't stay out of foul trouble this team will struggle mightily.

    All that being said, there are a couple of small bright spots. WVU lost at home to OSU, ISU, and Kansas and then beat all three on the road. Strange, but true. Hal is playing lights out. 'Nuff said. This team can get its leg back and turn this disappointment around in a hurry. The key starts with defense. Get it fixed ladies. The second? Learn how to handle full court pressure and a physical game. As Coach Fen stated post game...its up to the coaches to have them ready to go. I have no doubt they will be.

    our bench is 2 players


    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

    Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 447,038, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneRulzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    18,740
    Points
    447,038
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 754
    Given: 1,890

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    Once again I'm to blame, a running theme around this site right now. I said we wouldn't lose another conf game we did. Why does this limited roster make me feel that the conf. season will leave us so exhausted we won't do anything in the big dance.


    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

    Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 38,271, Level: 60
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mitten1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,384
    Points
    38,271
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    This is probably the most depressing loss of the year in basketball for me, men or women. At least I have been able to watch the men's games. I know I saw a ton more women's games last year. Part of the frustration is not being able to see what is going on. I could see FSN games last year and I don't think there were as many of them. This year I am totally blacked out.

    There are so many reasons we should have won this. I think you might be right, this might be fatigue or wear and tear.


    "Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Points: 8,750, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    577
    Points
    8,750
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 9

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    I wonder if I was the only one who thought Poppens should have let the fast break lay up go when she got her 5th foul. I would have rather had her in the game at that point. She had a choice on that.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 447,038, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneRulzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    18,740
    Points
    447,038
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 754
    Given: 1,890

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    Quote Originally Posted by casey1973 View Post
    I wonder if I was the only one who thought Poppens should have let the fast break lay up go when she got her 5th foul. I would have rather had her in the game at that point. She had a choice on that.

    I'm with you there. That was stupid. We need you in the game that is more important than 2 points.


    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

    Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 54,422, Level: 72
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,218
    Points
    54,422
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 89

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    Quote Originally Posted by casey1973 View Post
    I wonder if I was the only one who thought Poppens should have let the fast break lay up go when she got her 5th foul. I would have rather had her in the game at that point. She had a choice on that.
    Just her pure competitive spirit. Sometimes that gets the better of you. If anyone is competitive...its pop.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 94,590, Level: 95
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,671
    Points
    94,590
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    I thought the Twister Sisters were going to run away with this one when they came out hot to start the game. WVU calls timeout and all the sudden they ugly the game up by playing really physical and putting a full court press on it. I agree, the officials were very inconsistent which allowed WVU to basically mug our players at times but we also were not executing well at times and did not adjust to what WVU was throwing at us so that is to blame on the players and coaches for not making the necessary adjustments to get us back in control of the tempo of the game.

    What I got frustrated with was when Prins, Poppens, and Hallie were able to be on the floor at the same time we usually had a huge mismatch to our advantage with at least 1 or 2 of those 3 being guarded by a smaller player that we should have run more plays to exploit those matchups in the paint. Hallie did everything she could but Prins and Poppens couldn't stay on the floor long enough, partially due to that big girl on WVU playing like a bulldozer. Glad she finally fouled out near the end but she probably should have fouled out much sooner as dirty as she was playing.

    The loss is not the end of the world, the ladies can rebound with the bye game this week and get some much needed rest and prepare for the stretch run where they can still accomplish a lot. Yes this was a game we should have won but I'm sure the coaching staff will make sure they put this one in the rear view mirror quickly.


    Go Cubs Go!

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 447,038, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneRulzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    18,740
    Points
    447,038
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 754
    Given: 1,890

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    We should of put game away in first half when WV couldn't make a shot to save their life.


    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

    Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

  13. #13
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,367, Level: 21
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    318
    Points
    5,367
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    This was a very disappointing loss. But, we'll move on. One noticeable thing to me - what's up with Fallon? Either the talent fall-off is more than I realized or she's not playing with 100% effort? Among other things, I recall she was boxed out way under the basket on several rebounds with no chance of getting a rebound. Also, seemed way too lax on an inbound pass late in the game that resulted in a turnover and WV 2 pts.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 54,422, Level: 72
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,218
    Points
    54,422
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 89

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneBob View Post
    This was a very disappointing loss. But, we'll move on. One noticeable thing to me - what's up with Fallon? Either the talent fall-off is more than I realized or she's not playing with 100% effort? Among other things, I recall she was boxed out way under the basket on several rebounds with no chance of getting a rebound. Also, seemed way too lax on an inbound pass late in the game that resulted in a turnover and WV 2 pts.
    I think I remember that inbounds pass. It wasn't really as much on Fallon as it was Hal's pass. Looked to me like it was thrown at her feet where she couldn't easily get to it.



  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 11,478, Level: 32
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    697
    Points
    11,478
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

    Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters fall at home

    Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    I think I remember that inbounds pass. It wasn't really as much on Fallon as it was Hal's pass. Looked to me like it was thrown at her feet where she couldn't easily get to it.
    My take is that Fallon is just not mobile enough right now. She's strong. But to play undersized in the post, I think you also have to be agile, mobile, do a lot with your feet, all to get great position. She just wasn't quick, coordinated enough to react to the pass from Hal that was leading her to the outside away from the defense. To me, that also seems to affect her rebounding. She seems to want to, whether the effort is 100%, she still needs to have the athletic ability. Hopefully it's something she can and will work on. She could be a Nis-like player, but right now she cannot run the court like Nis, does not have the positioning that was second-nature to Nis.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM