Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 3

Carnival Triumph...LONG LONG LONG

Last night i watched this ship limp into Mobile....and could only wonder how i would feel if i were on that ship right then as me and my family was on that ship only 3 weeks ago....now seeing the photos is really crazy considering we had a great time on board that ship and can fully grasp everyones appreciation of the crew....while on board we were wow'd by how great the crew on board this ship really was...even in the worst times evidently.

However, as i watched the people coming off that ship, i couldn't help but detest certain peoples views as being borderline disgusting only because they considered the conditions unbearable. While others came off that same ship with understanding and praise for the efforts to keep them safe and provide the best care possible.

Hard to believe, but, there was a KU fan that came off and i agreed with everything he said...although he was not happy about the conditions, he understood that these things happen with mechanical items - i.e. cars, boats, furnaces, cruise ships, navy ships....and he made the best of it...

Now that the people were back on US soil they started loosing sight that they just survived the worst possible thing for a ship - a major fire. Maybe some of the people that came off that trip should open their eyes to the bigger picture...not one person was injured on a vessel that had 4,500 people on it. Considering it is one of the most dangerous types of fire on a ship in one of the most volatile areas of a ship - the engine compartment.

Could the cruise line have handled it better - maybe, but, this situation is re-writing the cruise ship preparation booklet. Consider 80% of the ships generators were dedicated to the propulsion system, it was never conceived that a fire could take out the primary propulsion system thus leaving the generators worthless.

In my mind, this incident although tragic to those that were on board will result in Zero major injuries - ZERO. I will venture to guess there will not be an outbreak of hepatitis, which is great to talk about on TV, because it heightens the viewers senses to WHAT COULD HAPPEN....

But, this will bring about change, improvements to future design of these vessels. I.e. Compartmentalize the starboard and port engines, similar to an airplane so even if you have issues, you will not lose 100% of your propulsion, and have a secondary disconnect that can reroute power if one of the propulsion systems is downgraded, the excess generators can be re-routed for other life safety issues. The drains can have back flow preventers installed to prevent the vertical discharge of the sewage. This will be a real life "What if" and improvements will be made.

I truly hope that Carnival is not found negligent as it would change all my feelings about the situation. We all realize how companies react when its comes to greed and money over-riding good decision making.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 809

Re: Carnival Triumph...LONG LONG LONG

Well said. Perspective really is something to keep in mind.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,202
    Given: 3,789

Did I hear right that after all of that some of the people got off the ship and on a bus which promptly broke down?

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Starter
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 17

Yep. Install new shwamus valves and stelner linkages and problem solved.

We've sailed four times on Carnival and always been impressed with the crew. Sometimes bad things happen and it sucks when it happens to to you. You're right, could have been much worse. There will always be people who do not get that and make their own situation worse by feeding off the most negative aspects which is also what most of the media seeks to find and report. We'll cruise again for sure.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 23

not sure why people go on cruises year after year after year and are clueless about our own country... been there..done that when it comes going on cruises..

A lot of whiners on that Carnival Triumph.......You signed up for it....deal with it. Make the most of it

We are concentrating on traveling much more around this amazing country, opposed to some Carribean island or cruising with drunks and families and retiree's on Carnival--which can't be better than visiting say....Napa Valley, D.C., or Montana in the summer time

Last edited by Jambalaya; 02-15-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,202
    Given: 3,789

People forget that despite them trying to do everything to make it as comfortable and uneventful as staying in a shoreside hotel, it is still ocean travel. Ocean travel is unpredictable and always has an element of danger.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 620

That is a Bermuda/Bahamas registered boat for you.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,335
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 141

the cruise industry is like the airline indusry in the fact that the only way to make it work is to keep the equipment running. Cruise ship rarely take a break from service, they offload one group and load up another and sail off. Not a huge surprise something like this happened.

It goes both way on the passangers. Some people just like to whine about everything, and they will be way over the top about how horrible they were treated, and how bad the conditions were. Others will suck it up and figure out a way to make it as good as it can be.

I thought the offer of $500 for the passanger by Carnival was in bad form. That is like leaving a waitress a nickel tip. Now they are going to have more people mad than if they offered nothing.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 202

Keep in mind no new organization is going to use a quote from someone saying it is fine on the ship. There is no "news" in that.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Rookie
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 7

It's all about the sense of entitlement that some people have. Yep conditions were probably uncomfortable (and maybe a little scary the first night) and yes going to the bathroom in a bag and having it collected might be embarrasing, but guess what? No one died, no one got seriously injured, and there are people living in this country that endure worse conditions on a daily basis.

From what I've heard, the crew did an amazing job given the situation they were in and the fact that the scenario they were in was probably buried way in the back of the 'Bad Things That May Happen During a Cruise' book. I'd hate to be a crew member as I'd bet there were some seriously needy people that are used to getting everything they want.

Legend
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 655

Could carnival sent out another ship to pick these people up? I I promise that it would have been cheaper than the business they will lose.

I heard multiple people say the crew did a great job.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,878
    Given: 4,233

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    People forget that despite them trying to do everything to make it as comfortable and uneventful as staying in a shoreside hotel, it is still ocean travel. Ocean travel is unpredictable and always has an element of danger.

At least they didn't run into one of these

So conditions on the ship were bad but at least they all survived.

CF SURVIVOR 4 WINNER!

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 134

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I thought the offer of $500 for the passanger by Carnival was in bad form. That is like leaving a waitress a nickel tip. Now they are going to have more people mad than if they offered nothing.
    I think it was OK. I believe they were refunding everyone for this cruise (obviously), but also giving them a voucher for a free cruise in the future AND the $500 offer for each passenger. Those of us who aren't whiny ******* would consider it a decent offer and I think I'd take them up on it.

But then again, I'm one of those guys who will try to make the best of any situation no matter what, and I know there are plenty of clowns who think they are royalty and believe they "deserve" massive compensation for all the pain and anguish they were put through.

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 240

There should be a rule that everyone has to work in a service industry job for 2 years in their life so they know how to treat people. Whether it be a gas station, waitress, or the DMV, I am always shocked at how some people take out frustrations on people who have no bearing on the situation. I hope the crew was treated well as they probably had to put up with a lot of BS.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 62

I've been on two cruises both on a Carnival ship. The ships are great, the crew is a blast, the food is good but nothing special. The biggest problem were the 50% of the fellow cruisers who were fat whiny slobs. They were company paid trips which made them free outside of the booze.

Im surprised they couldnt offload people onto another ship sooner, otherwise youve got a couple free vacations and a good story to tell. Unless they ran out of alcohol, then sue those swine.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy