Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 59

Just curious...

How do you ladies and gents watch Cyclone sporting events on TV?

I'm asking because after the agonizing nature of our loss to Texas a couple of nights ago I really became aware of just how emotionally invested I get in our games and in our program's success. Now, since I was raised in Ames and grew up going to games in Hilton I've known this about myself for a while, but I really just became re-aware of it since Wednesday night.

I will yell and scream at the TV, both in good moments and bad while watching games. I will swear. If an announcer talks about something like our good free-throw shooting percentage I'll knock on the closest piece of wood. I'll clap loudly when we hit a three-pointer. I'll slap the coffee table after an ISU turnover (during the Hampton debacle of 2001 I actually flipped over my coffee table in rage during the 2nd half). Most of all, I pace during close games, all around my living room, into the kitchen, just full of nervous energy. I lost some sleep after the Texas loss, in going to bed much later than I usually do just stewing over the loss. As a result, I wasn't quite as productive at work yesterday as I was hoping to be, partly because I was just tired from the aforementioned lack of sleep and partly because I spent a lot of time on this board reading what others had to say. I remember living in Minneapolis back in 1997 where I was doing an internship at the time watching us lose that Sweet 16 game to UCLA and being told by one of my roommate's girlfriends afterwards that she had never seen anyone get so emotionally invested in a sporting event before.

Now...I'm not saying this is a problem, because I'd rather be a passionate fan than a bandwagon jumper any day of the week, but I don't know if it's really healthy to be so wrapped up in the team. But, I guess that's what being a Cyclone Fanatic is all about...

Anybody else like this? Based on the 3 Mile Island-level meltdown on Wednesday night I'd say at least some of you are.

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 75

Re: Just curious...

Sounds a lot like how I watch bball games. It can't be healthy to get that involved in a bball game twice a week but I can't help it. Alcohol and video games are a good way to calm down after games like Wednesday's.

I'm a much bigger football fan than a basketball fan but basketball is a lot more stressful since it's a game of runs.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 56

At home I'm like a little kid with a chair parked right in front of the TV, beer in hand, yelling and clapping and agonizing over close games. I pace alot like you do also. Jump up and down on a big shot. Seriously was incredibly tense for like the last 5 mins of regulation and the 2 OTs against Texas. So its probably better when I watch at the bar or at friends, I'm much more relaxed then.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 50

I get way more negatively emotional when I'm watching on TV than when I'm actually at the game.

I get way more positively emotional when I'm actually at that game than when I'm watching on TV.

I do not understand why it is this way, but it holds true for all sports.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post

I'm asking because after the agonizing nature of our loss to Texas a couple of nights ago I really became aware of just how emotionally invested I get in our games and in our program's success. Now, since I was raised in Ames and grew up going to games in Hilton I've known this about myself for a while, but I really just became re-aware of it since Wednesday night.

I will yell and scream at the TV, both in good moments and bad while watching games. I will swear. If an announcer talks about something like our good free-throw shooting percentage I'll knock on the closest piece of wood. I'll clap loudly when we hit a three-pointer. I'll slap the coffee table after an ISU turnover (during the Hampton debacle of 2001 I actually flipped over my coffee table in rage during the 2nd half). Most of all, I pace during close games, all around my living room, into the kitchen, just full of nervous energy. I lost some sleep after the Texas loss, in going to bed much later than I usually do just stewing over the loss. As a result, I wasn't quite as productive at work yesterday as I was hoping to be, partly because I was just tired from the aforementioned lack of sleep and partly because I spent a lot of time on this board reading what others had to say. I remember living in Minneapolis back in 1997 where I was doing an internship at the time watching us lose that Sweet 16 game to UCLA and being told by one of my roommate's girlfriends afterwards that she had never seen anyone get so emotionally invested in a sporting event before.

Now...I'm not saying this is a problem, because I'd rather be a passionate fan than a bandwagon jumper any day of the week, but I don't know if it's really healthy to be so wrapped up in the team. But, I guess that's what being a Cyclone Fanatic is all about...

Anybody else like this? Based on the 3 Mile Island-level meltdown on Wednesday night I'd say at least some of you are.

All it means chip is that you have now finally exorcised the McDermott years from your system......and your passion for ISU basketball has returned.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 59

[QUOTE=CloneIce;3308400]At home I'm like a little kid with a chair parked right in front of the TV, beer in hand, yelling and clapping and agonizing over close games. I pace alot like you do also. Jump up and down on a big shot. Seriously was incredibly tense for like the last 5 mins of regulation and the 2 OTs against Texas. So its probably better when I watch at the bar or at friends, I'm much more relaxed then.[/QUOTE]

It's funny you mentioned watching games at a bar. I remember watching the '96 Big 8 Championship game against Kansas (last Big 8 tournament ever, for you young ones) at a sports bar in Cedar Falls, and I didn't tone down my behavior at all. I was up at the bar living and dying with each shot, yelling, clapping, being completely unaware (or just not caring) about the show I was putting on. I remember after Jacque Vaughn missed that last shot jumping out my seat, hugging the Cyclone fan next to me (whose name I didn't even ask for), and running out of the bar. I remembered after I ran out and got to my car that I had completely forgotten to pay for my drink, so I walked back in, apologized to the bartender, and he told me it was on the house since I had had such a good time watching the game.

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 475
    Given: 254

My dog thinks I'm crazy. He can tell I'm nervous even if I'm not yelling or clapping, and he just paces around.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

I am almost silent and I rarely speak. I don't like too much talking or noise around me and I really try and watch what each player is doing.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 113

I record and watch only of we win. I don't even listen on the radio but will follow the score on twitter. I find something to do around the house and get alot done in the 2 hours that I'd otherwise be going crazy during. I'll watch a game if I know we are going to win but otherwise I can't do it.

Starter
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 700
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post

I always watch games with the mindset there is nothing I can control.

Social media, message boards, and ESPN has tied some sort of prestige to a school based on what a team does in athletics. Heck even in recruiting, people feel slighted if a recruit is dropped down a few notches from like 37 to 55 in overall rankings.

Just by you comments I can tell you are a very competitive person. I used to be that way, but after kids and coaching little league games, I found myself being too hard on the kids when they made mistakes (especially my kid who was good player). Had a come to jesus moment and told myself,

A) Sports is supposed to be fun, and when you are dealing with kids or young men, there are going to be mistakes made.

B) Sports is entertainment, if you cannot enjoy it, then it is no longer entertainment. Sounds like you are not enjoying it.

C) 99.9% of the people in the world do not place a social status on your college based on sports.
    We all want to brag on our school, but perspective is needed.

D) If I choose to post and read message boards, need to realize the world is full of trolls, who sole joy in life is to see someone fail and will tell you your coach sucks, you team sucks. Part of peoples frustration with losing is that they cannot go on the message boards and crow. And instead have to deal with trolls and the glass half empty crowd.

Even with that, when Texas hit the 3 I was disappointed, and that we lost in overtime, but was over it by the first commercial at the end of the game.

Social media is very bad for the uber competitive person, they just cannot lose at anything, be it an argument or game

Also I have season tickets to the LA Kings, watching a lot of bad hockey for 20 years before they won the cup, conditioned me not to get too excited watching games. :-)

Last edited by fsanford; 02-15-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Funny that you mention little league - I find that my kids are the best thing to get my head back on straight after watching a tough loss on tv. Spending time with them definitely helps me puts things back in perspective.

Addict
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,203
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 120

We haven't lost at home forever and when I watch at home we are on the road and usually lose, so I tend to be much more negative when I'm watching on TV solely because it's a road game.

I yell at the TV and pace around when things get tight. My wife says I scare the dogs. After the Texas loss I turned off the TV and decided not to post on CF.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,557
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 10

my wife almost kicked me out of the house on Wednesday night..........when that 3pter went in at teh end of regulation, i almost threw the remote through the TV. you think being an ISU fan i would have been tempered by now to expect these things to happen, but they still upset me.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 831
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

I don't watch because every time i do ISU starts sucking. Doesn't matter what sport.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Daserop View Post
    I don't watch because every time i do ISU starts sucking. Doesn't matter what sport.
    I take it you were watching the Liberty Bowl on an 84-inch TV at max volume.