Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 17,498, Level: 40
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,177
    Points
    17,498
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

    A Little History From 88-89

    In 1988-89 we went 9-3 in non-conference, 6-8 in conference, 1-1 in tthe Big 8 tournament and made the NCAA (lost to UCLA). That year in conference we went 1-6 on the road (beat Colorado) , 6-1 at home. Our average margin of loss in our 6 road losses was 24 points, including an 82-127 loss at Kansas. We later beat Kansas at home. Just a little old-timer history on the way things were on the road back when.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 14,815, Level: 36
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    JJ4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WDM Side of Waukee
    Posts
    1,202
    Points
    14,815
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    That team never, as well as a few others in Johnny's era, would not have qualified for the NCAA Tournamant in today's NCAA bball world.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 398,005, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,639
    Points
    398,005
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 519
    Given: 339

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    The smaller conferences have more automatic bids and the mid majors have definitely improved so there is more competition to get in than twenty years ago.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 277,444, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    13,328
    Points
    277,444
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 690
    Given: 1,457

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    The smaller conferences have more automatic bids and the mid majors have definitely improved so there is more competition to get in than twenty years ago.
    There are also 4 more slots as well.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 20,426, Level: 43
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Atkins
    Posts
    633
    Points
    20,426
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    But those teams also weren't even competitive on the road. At least this year, we are in the game, if not leading in the last 1 or 2 minutes


    Keepers of the Faith -- Member

    Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 160,588, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,694
    Points
    160,588
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 254

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    Oh good so we sucked on the road back then too - good to know this is nothing new



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 729,724, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,394
    Points
    729,724
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,269
    Given: 627

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    That team never, as well as a few others in Johnny's era, would not have qualified for the NCAA Tournamant in today's NCAA bball world.
    That doesn't mean it wasn't a damn good team. It was just inexplicably bad on the road, and awesome at home, to a far greater extent than our current Cyclones.



  8. #8
    Prospect
    Points: 5,135, Level: 21
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    24
    Points
    5,135
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    In 1988-89 we went 9-3 in non-conference, 6-8 in conference, 1-1 in tthe Big 8 tournament and made the NCAA (lost to UCLA). That year in conference we went 1-6 on the road (beat Colorado) , 6-1 at home. Our average margin of loss in our 6 road losses was 24 points, including an 82-127 loss at Kansas. We later beat Kansas at home. Just a little old-timer history on the way things were on the road back when.
    Actually, ISU qualified for the NCAA one year with a 5 - 9 conference record. However, 4 of those conference wins were against ranked teams with two of them being against top five teams, plus we had another win against Iowa who was ranked. From Wikipedia..... "Iowa State's fortunes improved during the 1991–92 season, with the Cyclones finishing 21–13 overall (5–9 in conference play) and earning the No. 10 seed in the East Region of the NCAA Tournament. The Cyclones defeated No. 7 seed UNC-Charlotte in the opening round before losing 106–98 to the No. 2 seed Kentucky Wildcats in the round of 32. Iowa State recorded wins over #16 Iowa, #21 Oklahoma, #2 Oklahoma State, #3 Kansas, and #13 Missouri during the regular season. Junior Justus Thigpen led the team with 16.3 points per game, while junior Ron Bayless averaged 12.6 points per game. Freshmen Julius Michalik and Fred Hoiberg averaged 13.6 and 12.1 points per game, respectively."



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 863,985, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,801
    Points
    863,985
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,764
    Given: 1,484

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    Quote Originally Posted by MJ271 View Post
    But those teams also weren't even competitive on the road. At least this year, we are in the game, if not leading in the last 1 or 2 minutes
    Right. We don't stink on the road now. We're very competitive, and just need to close out these games. It's nothing like what we were.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 11,203, Level: 31
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    dirtyninety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,088
    Points
    11,203
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 52

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    Kidd n' Play had some high n' tight haircuts too, bro. Kicking boots. 3rd Base tried to give us the gas-face, but us down with the street rap knew that was corporate.



  11. #11
    Recruit
    Points: 5,368, Level: 21
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    122
    Points
    5,368
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 20

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    Quote Originally Posted by FiredUpCyclone View Post
    The Cyclones defeated No. 7 seed UNC-Charlotte in the opening round before losing 106–98 to the No. 2 seed Kentucky Wildcats in the round of 32. ."
    That Kentucky game was a fun one to watch! IIRC Bayless and Thigpen were en fuego.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 11,203, Level: 31
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    dirtyninety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,088
    Points
    11,203
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 52

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    Justice Thigpen had it high and tight too.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 729,724, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,394
    Points
    729,724
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,269
    Given: 627

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    Quote Originally Posted by PlanoClone View Post
    That Kentucky game was a fun one to watch! IIRC Bayless and Thigpen were en fuego.
    One of the best games I've seen. At that time, it seemed like David vs Goliath



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 95,840, Level: 96
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,210
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,032
    Points
    95,840
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 465

    Re: A Little History From 88-89

    Quote Originally Posted by FiredUpCyclone View Post
    Actually, ISU qualified for the NCAA one year with a 5 - 9 conference record. However, 4 of those conference wins were against ranked teams with two of them being against top five teams, plus we had another win against Iowa who was ranked. From Wikipedia..... "Iowa State's fortunes improved during the 1991–92 season, with the Cyclones finishing 21–13 overall (5–9 in conference play) and earning the No. 10 seed in the East Region of the NCAA Tournament. The Cyclones defeated No. 7 seed UNC-Charlotte in the opening round before losing 106–98 to the No. 2 seed Kentucky Wildcats in the round of 32. Iowa State recorded wins over #16 Iowa, #21 Oklahoma, #2 Oklahoma State, #3 Kansas, and #13 Missouri during the regular season. Junior Justus Thigpen led the team with 16.3 points per game, while junior Ron Bayless averaged 12.6 points per game. Freshmen Julius Michalik and Fred Hoiberg averaged 13.6 and 12.1 points per game, respectively."
    That's among my top-5 favorite Iowa State teams since I began following in the late-Nance era.

    Iowa State pushed UK to the limit — it was the type of team that was "dangerous" enough to pull it off. I still consider '92 Kentucky the best team not to reach the Final Four in the 64-plus tournament era. (No. 2? 2000 Iowa State). (Several other teams could be argued for those positions.)



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM