Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 802
    Given: 206

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 541
    Given: 308

Re: BLOG: Jottings from last night's stinger in Austin

So since the Clones didn't half *** it, played about as well as possible in the TO area and still lost a 2 win team the fans should be cool with that?

Is this like McCarney saying the team "won the second half"?

Fact is this team doesn't finish on the road. It's a middle of the pack conference team. A one and done in the NCAA if they make it at all.

It is what it is.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 1,229

Quote Originally Posted by KnappShack View Post
    So since the Clones didn't half *** it, played about as well as possible in the TO area and still lost a 2 win team the fans should be cool with that?
    Isn't it possible to have some kind of reaction between "cool with it" and full blown 2-year old style meltdown?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Obviously not. A quick lap around this board proves that.

This is a middle of the pack team. Enjoy them at home and drink heavily when they fall short on the road.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 1,229

Obviously not. A quick lap around this board proves that.
    Obviously there is, because the majority of the posters are capable of keeping some sort of rationality.

Just because you can't doesn't mean nobody can.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 926
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 51

Chris Williams---- The Voice of Reason

I can't stand to read these boards after a loss. Too many people freaking out and too many people that really don't understand what it takes to get in the NCAA tourney.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    Obviously there is, because the majority of the posters are capable of keeping some sort of rationality.

Just because you can't doesn't mean nobody can.
    Can you show me where I've had a melt down? Saying the fans do not have to be happy losing is far short of a melt down.

Where have I called out a player or used bad language regarding any of the losses this season.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 58

Slowly but surely, I'm getting over this loss. Time heals these wounds. With that said, we still control out own fate for the most part, in regards to getting into the tourney. That's really not the worst place to be in the world. I could see us finishing strong and getting in with ease, or I could see us playing in the NIT.

Time will tell.

Overall, I am trying to remind myself that I probably raised my expectations a little too high for this team. Hoiberg will get it done. He'll continue to recruit better players, and eventually assemble all the parts. We may not overtake KU as the bully of the B12, but we can be a consistent top half team once we add a few more pieces.

It's a hell of a lot better than being in the cellar with McDoormat. That man nearly destroyed basketball at ISU. Thankfully Creighton helped us out of that nightmare situation.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 276

All I know, is that my lady gets really nervous/excited/anxious while watching Cyclone Athletics. And making her watch that 2OT nailbiter resulting in a loss means I gotta do extra today

Legend
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 750
    Given: 1,552

Is this like McCarney saying the team "won the second half"?

Fact is this team doesn't finish on the road. It's a middle of the pack conference team. A one and done in the NCAA if they make it at all.

It is what it is.
    The team we saw last night and the Big 12 will see the rest of the season is not the same team that only won two games up to this point. They will in no way resemble a 2 win team.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    Chris Williams---- The Voice of Reason

I can't stand to read these boards after a loss. Too many people freaking out and too many people that really don't understand what it takes to get in the NCAA tourney.
    Please educate us on "what it takes," o' wise one.

Listen, I've spent enough years on message boards to know that after a loss that shouldn't have been a loss, things turn into the online equivalent of a domestic argument. There are vases flying around crashing into walls, coffee tables smashed up, holes punched into walls, and broken TV screens. It may not be constructive and I don't endorse it, but it happens.

But equally maddening is when people say, "This team still has a chance to make the NCAA tournament!" as if the goal is to barely squeak in to an 11 seed and just be happy we got that. Folks, this is a program that has proven it can win conference championships and advance deep into the tournament. This very team has only been soundly beaten one time in conference play! If we win all those games we were in position to win, we have a TWO GAME lead in the conference race right now. If we only win half of those games we were in position to win, we're still no worse than tied for the lead. And suddenly the conversation goes from "will we get in?" to "think we could snag a 3 seed?"

By that standard, the conference season so far can't be considered anything other than a disappointment. So there's reason for anger, and in fact I'm quite angry myself. I'm just choosing to deal with it constructively instead of trashing the place.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    The team we saw last night and the Big 12 will see the rest of the season is not the same team that only won two games up to this point. They will in no way resemble a 2 win team.
    No, that's why I was worried going into last night. Texas was much better (more talented) than their record indicated. They have a couple of ok wins, and some near misses against good teams.

Add in Kabongo and Holmes...... you pretty much knew they would try to make a home stand last night.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 250

Anybody think we'll see more zone as the season goes on? We have a couple guys who are liabilities in man to man, if an opposing coach doesn't constantly attack Clyburn when we play man to man, he should have his head checked. Texas went quick last night and Will looked lost. The big shot Tech hit right over Will started a trend, quicker guards get by him and he doesn't have the explosiveness to alter their shot. He can move with guys but lacks the strength to get off the floor and block or impact shots. Every game he has smaller guys go right over him. Niang also struggles at that end, he gets a bit of a pass being a freshman but most of the time I think his mistakes are due to a lack of conditioning. He always seems to be winded, tired players make mistakes on defense. If we are going with this trimmed down rotation without Gibson or Booker, a zone can help hide some these weakness.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,566
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 112

Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    Please educate us on "what it takes," o' wise one.

Listen, I've spent enough years on message boards to know that after a loss that shouldn't have been a loss, things turn into the online equivalent of a domestic argument. There are vases flying around crashing into walls, coffee tables smashed up, holes punched into walls, and broken TV screens. It may not be constructive and I don't endorse it, but it happens.

But equally maddening is when people say, "This team still has a chance to make the NCAA tournament!" as if the goal is to barely squeak in to an 11 seed and just be happy we got that. Folks, this is a program that has proven it can win conference championships and advance deep into the tournament. This very team has only been soundly beaten one time in conference play! If we win all those games we were in position to win, we have a TWO GAME lead in the conference race right now. If we only win half of those games we were in position to win, we're still no worse than tied for the lead. And suddenly the conversation goes from "will we get in?" to "think we could snag a 3 seed?"

By that standard, the conference season so far can't be considered anything other than a disappointment. So there's reason for anger, and in fact I'm quite angry myself. I'm just choosing to deal with it constructively instead of trashing the place.
    Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but to be honest it looks to me like you're choosing to deal with it by getting angry and snarky with everyone who doesn't hold your same standards of performance.

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 932
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 263

I'll be the "wise one" and it takes 11 wins in conference. Every team in the country could say "if we just won those games." I would have signed up for a 10 or 11 seed before the season, 8 and 9 suck and it would take a hell of a year to be higher than that. Better times are on the way but tgey aren't so bad now, the worst is behind us and moved on to Creighton.