Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 107

Re: Getting to the Tourney is about the KU and OSU games

Quote Originally Posted by jboffer View Post
    Yeah, agreed. Everyone else would have agreed before that Kansas game too, I think. That "should have won" gave a lot of hope, even though it was a loss.

Regardless of the NCAA tourney, we're capable of winning the Big 12 tournament. I don't think we will, we might just lose the first game again instead, but we're not sitting ducks.

I know the NCAA's are a reward for this... but I wouldnt even care. Winning even a couple games in the Big 12s would be amazing. I would love nothing more than to win the whole thing.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

If we want to get to the tourney we will need a little less Johnny and a little more LE.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Need to beat OU on the road to limit their chances....

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    Because, empirically, we are one of the best 37 teams that aren't leading their conference. That's the only metric on which a team "deserves" to be in the tourney or not.
    #51 today per some sources....

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,016
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Rambling post but very true. What about ISU this year makes the fans think we deserve to be in the tournament? Quite frankly this does not feel like a team that should be in. Squeking out wins at home, and having the ability to lose to about anyone else anywhere else.

This team will not win 5 of the last seven. I just don't think they have the fortitude to do it. And that is probably the way it should be. This isn't a tournament team. It hasn't been all year.
    with that standard you would have 0to teams in the tourney this year....look around everyone is losing to everyone. Ourin RPI and every objective source says we are on track as a tourney team to date. That is relative to the other teams, not your bizarre standard of what a "tournament team " is. Oklahoma is a top 25 rpi team, we beat them by 19, we lost to two top 10 teams on the road by last second shots....we beat baylor soundly, ksu by 8...not sure what the hell you are talking about.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 332

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Rambling post but very true. What about ISU this year makes the fans think we deserve to be in the tournament? Quite frankly this does not feel like a team that should be in. Squeking out wins at home, and having the ability to lose to about anyone else anywhere else.

This team will not win 5 of the last seven. I just don't think they have the fortitude to do it. And that is probably the way it should be. This isn't a tournament team. It hasn't been all year.
    The first part of your statement is correct at this very moment. ISU is currently not a tournament team. The second part of your statement couldn't be more wrong. A last second banked in 3 by Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse, a zombie-like performance at Tech, a late meltdown at Okie Light (and terrific play by Smart), and a last second 3 by Texas in Austin.... Iowa State was in all of those games and other then the Tech disaster was leading late in the game only to have the home team make a miraculous play to either send the game to OT or beat them. 1 play made by the opponent in the closing seconds of 3 different games doomed the Clones. All ISU had to do against Tech was simply show up and they didn't. That is the difference between ISU being 20-4 (10-1 and sitting in 1st place in the Big XII) a top 15 or top 10 ranking, looking at a 2, 3, or 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament, compared to where they are right now. 1 no show and 3 miraculous plays by Kansas, Okie State, and Texas have cost Iowa State dearly. To say that Iowa State hasn't been a tournament team all year is flat out wrong. Iowa State this season has been a tournament team with tournament caliber talent that has found a way to **** it down their leg and now they are sitting on the outside looking in.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,698
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 77

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFine View Post
    I don't know about that because we know that KU and Okie St would both be quality wins, and that is something that is (and always has been) important to the selection people.

I'm not sure winning at sucks-to-BU and OU would be thought of as a win of that magnitude.
    9-9 2012 Texas with no wins over Baylor, Kansas, or Missouri. Split with ISU and KSU which would be close to Baylor, probably better than OU, and not as good as our KSU win.

Texas Longhorns Basketball 2011-12 Schedule - Longhorns Home and Away - ESPN