Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 687
    Given: 564

Re: Screw you ESPN!!

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Yeah, I know he was a transfer and wasn't a blue chip.

It's just when someone posted about Kansas signing 5 random guys off the street it absolutely screamed for a Kevin Young comment.
    OK, I wasn't following. KU guys are highly ranked because they recruit great players.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,220
    Given: 2,301

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    OK, I wasn't following. KU guys are highly ranked because they recruit great players.
    No, just equating Kevin Young to a guy off the street. Just a little joke that obviously wasn't at all funny since I had to explain it.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    The respect Hoiberg and Iowa State.
    Is it really respecting Iowa State if half of the time they are speculating about how long ISU can keep Fred?

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 488

ESPN doesn't follow everything as close as Rivals. Daniel Edozie's ESPN profile (Daniel Edozie - Basketball Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN) doesn't even show his commitment to ISU. To add to that, KJ Bluford doesn't even have an ESPN recruit profile. Plenty of 5 star players underachieve to their ranking. Plenty of 2-3 star players overachieve to their ranking. A player's ranking is only gauging their projected talent in college. I'm sure plenty of the recruits ranked above Matt Thomas and Monte Morris are great basketball players but some wouldn't fit into the way CFH wants to play basketball. Its all about a recruit's fit. Morris and Thomas will fit perfectly into ISU's system.

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Is it really respecting Iowa State if half of the time they are speculating about how long ISU can keep Fred?
    How is that not respecting Iowa State and the job Fred is doing? And they don't speculate that 1/2 the time.

Addict
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 715
    Given: 422

A Hok friend said Lazard (I know different sport) will "go down stars because 4 star players don't go to ISU". Coud it be the same mentality here - how good can they really be if they go to ISU?

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,227
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 635
    Given: 356

I've been between jobs for a little while now. So I have plenty of time to watch TV. ESPN has regressed to nothing but fake fighting on shows ans wanna be hack stand up comedians on Sports Center.

Other than ball that channel stinks. Like the Kardashians for men

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by DandyCyclone View Post
    ESPN doesn't follow everything as close as Rivals. Daniel Edozie's ESPN profile (Daniel Edozie - Basketball Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN) doesn't even show his commitment to ISU. To add to that, KJ Bluford doesn't even have an ESPN recruit profile. Plenty of 5 star players underachieve to their ranking. Plenty of 2-3 star players overachieve to their ranking. A player's ranking is only gauging their projected talent in college. I'm sure plenty of the recruits ranked above Matt Thomas and Monte Morris are great basketball players but some wouldn't fit into the way CFH wants to play basketball. Its all about a recruit's fit. Morris and Thomas will fit perfectly into ISU's system.
    Rivals is and always will be better than ESPN. Don't get me wrong I'm still just as excited for both players as I was before, I just get tired of them getting no respect from the "experts". There are a couple people on that list ahead of Thomas that are just laughable.

Last edited by Final42b; 02-13-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Final42b View Post
    Rivals is and always will be better than ESPN. Don't get me wrong I'm still just as excited for both players as I was before, I just get tired of them getting no respect from the "experts". There are a couple people on that list ahead of Thomas that are just laughable.
    For you and everyone who thinks the recruiting services are out to get Iowa State, don't respect Iowa State, etc.....take a look at this

When Matt Thomas committed to Iowa State ESPN had him ranked somewhere in the 80's. AFTER committing to Iowa State he moved down to 31.

When Matt Thomas committed to Iowa State RIVALS had him ranked at 131. AFTER committing to Iowa State he has moved down to 58.

When Matt Thomas committed to Iowa State SCOUT had him ranked around 100. AFTER committing to Iowa State he has moved down to 55.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 29

Please show me one of these articles that says something like this. Many of the articles I've read has said that he will be a lifer at Iowa State.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

How is that not respecting Iowa State and the job Fred is doing? And they don't speculate that 1/2 the time.
    You are correct, not half the time. I should have figured you would take it so literally.

I don't think they are out to get ISU. However, respecting Fred Hoiberg =/= respecting Iowa State. If a coach is successful at Kentucky (fill in the blank with BB powerhouse) you don't see repeated speculation about the coach looking elsewhere. The ink was hardly dry on his contract and there were already pundits speculating that if successful Fred would quickly use this as a launching pad to the NBA.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's one from March of last year - Fred had only completed two years as head coach.

@jwquick: Name to keep an eye on in Blazers coaching search: Former NBA player and Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg
    - Jason Quick, Oregonian

That's just one I came up with really quickly. Even when it was practically first announced there were several stories about 1. Could he be successful with his lack of experience? and 2. If successful how long could ISU keep him?

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's one from March of last year - Fred had only completed two years as head coach.

@jwquick: Name to keep an eye on in Blazers coaching search: Former NBA player and Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg
    - Jason Quick, Oregonian

That's just one I came up with really quickly. Even when it was practically first announced there were several stories about 1. Could he be successful with his lack of experience? and 2. If successful how long could ISU keep him?
    Nobody is talking about Fred leaving Iowa State for another college job. It's about going to the NBA. Where the best athletes in the world play. Isn't it a good thing that Iowa State has a coach talented enough to where the NBA wants him?

Where is the disrespect?

I guess it was better when we had Greg McDermott and nobody wanted him (well except a MVC school)

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 65

For you and everyone who thinks the recruiting services are out to get Iowa State, don't respect Iowa State, etc.....take a look at this

When Matt Thomas committed to Iowa State ESPN had him ranked somewhere in the 80's. AFTER committing to Iowa State he moved down to 31.

When Matt Thomas committed to Iowa State RIVALS had him ranked at 131. AFTER committing to Iowa State he has moved down to 58.

When Matt Thomas committed to Iowa State SCOUT had him ranked around 100. AFTER committing to Iowa State he has moved down to 55.
    Do you think he would have been ranked even higher if he was going to Kansas or another top program?

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsonclone21 View Post
    Do you think he would have been ranked even higher if he was going to Kansas or another top program?
    I don't really care.

But no. The kid isn't lacking pub. He's got a ton the last 2 years. The scouts know who he is.