Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 64

Re: Olympics drop wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    There are 95 wrestling teams. Compared to 311 womens volleyball teams. Meaning wresling is going down. The Olypics cancelling it is just one more thing.
    I remember either last year or the year before ISU was ranked 24th in the Country in Wrestling. That was after like an 0-5 start. WTH
    Gymnastics and Wrestling rankings work a bit differently than the usual ranking system we're use to with basketball, football, volleyball. Maybe do some research.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 452

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    There are 95 wrestling teams. Compared to 311 womens volleyball teams. Meaning wresling is going down. The Olypics cancelling it is just one more thing.
    I remember either last year or the year before ISU was ranked 24th in the Country in Wrestling. That was after like an 0-5 start. WTH
    Wrestling wasn't up against volleyball, but if it was, maybe you should compare Men's Wrestling to Men's Volleyball. Volleyball? 83 programs across all levels of college competition.

Wrestling was up against the other sports on the block in Olympic, not collegiate competition. I believe they fare pretty well in that race on a level playing field.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Maybe we should bring back tug of war too. That was around for several of the early olympics, and anyone with a rope can compete in that.
    Yeah, Haiti and Guatemala could enter a team on the spot. Low budget.

However, people have been hurt doing tug of war. That might be too dangerous for the sissy Oly committee.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 160

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    If I read the table below correctly, in the NCAA, only in Division II has there been a net gain in the number of wrestling teams over the last 12 years.

Attachment 18239
    D-III didn't add more teams, but added a whole lot more athletes. They are the reason that the overall number of athletes has gone up by around 8% despite the loss of teams at the D-I level. The NAIA is also experiencing a lot of growth in wrestling. High school participation is also up.

More relevant to this discussion though: 71 countries had Wrestlers at the last Olympics. I can't find the numbers but I'd be shocked if there were even 71 countries that were competing for qualification in Modern Pentathlon.

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 452

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    D-III didn't add more teams, but added a whole lot more athletes. They are the reason that the overall number of athletes has gone up by around 8% despite the loss of teams at the D-I level. The NAIA is also experiencing a lot of growth in wrestling. High school participation is also up.

More relevant to this discussion though: 71 countries had Wrestlers at the last Olympics. I can't find the numbers but I'd be shocked if there were even 71 countries that were competing for qualification in Modern Pentathlon.
    I did a cursory look and curiously these numbers are not readily available.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And as to why Iowa State fans should care about this, Iowa State wrestlers have 9 Olympic medals, 6 of them gold. It's the only sport that ISU matters at in the Olympics. Dropping Wrestling from the Olympics basically drops Iowa State from the Olympics.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 932
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    So when you chose between olympic sports nobody cares about...why do you favor sports for the wealthy with drastically lower world participation than sports any nation and those of any economic status can compete in where over 25 nations around the globe have very recently won medals?

Get over if wrestling is fun to watch/good for ratings or not. It's a dumb decision unless we're going to a 10 sport Olympics.
    I'm not sure you could call field hockey a "sport for the wealthy". Looks to me like it takes a few sticks, a ball, and some goals. Just about anybody could play, sort of like soccer or baseball. But aside from that, you're missing the point. There are plenty of people in the world who like wrestling. I get that. I'm not saying it doesn't take talent. What I am saying is that it doesn't take any special talent compared to (most) other olympic athletes. Event an event like speed walking takes a lot of talent and endurance. There are a lot of stupid events which should be cut, such as the strange horseriding events or from the winter games the weird indoor biking race. Wrestling doesn't fall under that category, but I would not put wrestling above field hockey, handball, badminton, or any other marginal event.

I'll be honest. When it comes down to it I'm going to advocate keeping sports in the olympics that I like and not keeping sports that I don't like. I don't like wrestling. Apparently enough people on the IOC agree with me to cut it.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1

And as to why Iowa State fans should care about this, Iowa State wrestlers have 9 Olympic medals, 6 of them gold. It's the only sport that ISU matters at in the Olympics. Dropping Wrestling from the Olympics basically drops Iowa State from the Olympics.
    I'm hoping that we'll matter in a track event or two come 2016.

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 983
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    Gymnastics and Wrestling rankings work a bit differently than the usual ranking system we're use to with basketball, football, volleyball. Maybe do some research.
    I know nothing about wrestling. How do the rankings work?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    I know nothing about wrestling. How do the rankings work?
    Teams are ranked on their expected finish at NCAAs, not their dual performance. It's more comparable to how recruiting classes are ranked in football/basketball, where the ranking comes from how individuals stand in position rankings more than how the overall team is expected to be.

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by agrabes View Post
    I'm not sure you could call field hockey a "sport for the wealthy". Looks to me like it takes a few sticks, a ball, and some goals. Just about anybody could play, sort of like soccer or baseball. But aside from that, you're missing the point. There are plenty of people in the world who like wrestling. I get that. I'm not saying it doesn't take talent. What I am saying is that it doesn't take any special talent compared to (most) other olympic athletes. Event an event like speed walking takes a lot of talent and endurance. There are a lot of stupid events which should be cut, such as the strange horseriding events or from the winter games the weird indoor biking race. Wrestling doesn't fall under that category, but I would not put wrestling above field hockey, handball, badminton, or any other marginal event.

I'll be honest. When it comes down to it I'm going to advocate keeping sports in the olympics that I like and not keeping sports that I don't like. I don't like wrestling. Apparently enough people on the IOC agree with me to cut it.
    ?

I guarantee you wrestling takes infinitely more endurance than does speed walking.

As for having a special talent compared to other olympic athletes, it is very similar. More athleticism helps (all other things being equal), being taller can help (if you use it right). To imply that wrestlers aren't as talented or have any "special talent", or whatever you're trying to say, is ridiculous.

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 23

In overall participation growth over the 12 years of the tables I posted...
    Wrestling: 6622/6240 = 1.06; present participation rate: 20.0%
    Baseball: 31,999/26,195 = 1.22; present participation rate: 84.6%
    Football: 69,643/58,710 = 1.19; present participation rate: 59.4% (from the same report)
    US population: 313,850,000/282,160,000 = 1.11

Each of the above sports has growth potential at the college level, since they don't have 100% participation (for reference, MBB has virtually 100% participation over the entire period covered by the report, so growth in participants is fixed by the number of members added).

So, yes, NCAA wrestling added participants, but at well less than the rate of US population growth. I don't want to argue, but I just can't buy the argument that wrestling is making some kind of comeback in popularity. If it has room for growth at the college level and it's not growing at a rate equal to the population growth rate, it seems to me that it is losing ground.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 02-12-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 133

Quote Originally Posted by Isuska View Post
    A lot of sports have world championships during non-Olympic years
    Not really apples to apples. Soccer's best players don't compete in the Olympics, it's not any Olympic rule keeping it from being so, it just is.

Golf will be just like tennis, a good share of the best players will want to compete. Soccer's nothing like that. Soccer's nothing like basketball even.

All-Star
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 8

so, does this mean we aren't getting the SEZ?

All-Star
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 8

you guys that are wrestling die hards and grew up with the sport don't want to hear it, but wrestling is a bad TV product and has a small niche following. We, in Iowa, are most certainly the exception to the rule when it comes to the popularity of the sport. It might not seem like it here since wrestling is all around you, but virtually every where else, in our country anyway, it doesn't exist. And like all sports these days, if you aren't drawing large TV audiences and making it worth it for people to invest in your product (i.e. advertising) you aren't going to last long.