Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,304, Level: 21
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    317
    Points
    5,304
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    NCAA Tournament Pairings

    Given Iowa is a host school combined with they are presently playing themselves out of the tournament, what is the chance of ISU playing first round games in Iowa City?



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 54,422, Level: 72
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,218
    Points
    54,422
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 89

    Re: NCAA Tournament Pairings

    It all depends on whether the NCAA is looking at money or not. IMO, the only way ISU is in Iowa City (especially after hosting last year) is if money/attendance is the primary draw. I suspect Iowa will find a way to crawl into the tournament as a very low (10-12) seed and the issue will be moot.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 42,198, Level: 63
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,371
    Points
    42,198
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

    Re: NCAA Tournament Pairings

    I watched Iowa play MN last night, for part of it anyway. They just looked like a complete helter-skelter mess out there on the court. Seemed very unorganized, and was just letting Banham do what ever she wanted. It is a real shame that such talented players don't have the coaching they deserve. Bludder can recruit, but she is clearly not a good strategist or game coach. Kind of like the Scott Drew of WBB.

    Feel for Morgan Johnson, it looked like she was in a lot of pain running up and down the court, almost with a limp it seemed. Heard she isn't even practicing now because of her knee situation. Can't think it is going to improve by tourney time.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 22,749, Level: 46
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cyinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,018
    Points
    22,749
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 13

    Re: NCAA Tournament Pairings

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    I watched Iowa play MN last night, for part of it anyway. They just looked like a complete helter-skelter mess out there on the court. Seemed very unorganized, and was just letting Banham do what ever she wanted. It is a real shame that such talented players don't have the coaching they deserve. Bludder can recruit, but she is clearly not a good strategist or game coach. Kind of like the Scott Drew of WBB.

    Feel for Morgan Johnson, it looked like she was in a lot of pain running up and down the court, almost with a limp it seemed. Heard she isn't even practicing now because of her knee situation. Can't think it is going to improve by tourney time.
    What did she do? What is wrong?



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 53,322, Level: 71
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    BoxsterCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,135
    Points
    53,322
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 162

    Re: NCAA Tournament Pairings

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    I watched Iowa play MN last night, for part of it anyway. They just looked like a complete helter-skelter mess out there on the court. Seemed very unorganized, and was just letting Banham do what ever she wanted. It is a real shame that such talented players don't have the coaching they deserve. Bludder can recruit, but she is clearly not a good strategist or game coach. Kind of like the Scott Drew of WBB.

    Feel for Morgan Johnson, it looked like she was in a lot of pain running up and down the court, almost with a limp it seemed. Heard she isn't even practicing now because of her knee situation. Can't think it is going to improve by tourney time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyinne View Post
    What did she do? What is wrong?
    Article talks some about her knees and ISU recruiting her and how she wanted to come to ISU. We passed and it has worked out well for both parties.

    WBB: Iowa's Johnson is anything but ordinary | TheGazette



  6. #6
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,304, Level: 21
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    317
    Points
    5,304
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: NCAA Tournament Pairings

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Article talks some about her knees and ISU recruiting her and how she wanted to come to ISU. We passed and it has worked out well for both parties.

    WBB: Iowa's Johnson is anything but ordinary | TheGazette
    Thanks for sharing this - a great, great story. I've always liked Morgan, now I know why. Wish her the best.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 23,267, Level: 46
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Buster28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    887
    Points
    23,267
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 38

    Re: NCAA Tournament Pairings

    Interesting. I never knew she wanted to play here. I figured she'd always been on Iowa's radar and vice-versa. Agree with Boxster that it's worked out well the way things played out on both sides.


    All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

    (maybe)

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 20,248, Level: 43
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,854
    Points
    20,248
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

    Re: NCAA Tournament Pairings

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster28 View Post
    Interesting. I never knew she wanted to play here. I figured she'd always been on Iowa's radar and vice-versa. Agree with Boxster that it's worked out well the way things played out on both sides.
    Back when Johnson was in high school, Arson was telling us that ISU was recruiting her, then the talk died down and she committed to Iowa. She and her younger sister dominated the state tournament her senior year, and I was wondering what happened with our recruiting because Arson said she loved ISU. I think it was the fact that we had landed verbals from Pop and Prins, along with Z in the fold since her freshman year of high school. Pop, of course, had the motor, but was a little rough on the edges. She obviously had the advantage of the weight training that makes Aplington-Parkersburg a football power. I'd imagine if he had it to do over again, BF would have taken Morgan over Z. I don't think Z grew another inch after her freshman year of HS. Z has been extremely faithful to the program, but her playing time has gone the way of Florzak's and Mosman's - down every year.Ironic that two players that really wanted to go to ISU (Johnson and Nesbitt) ended up roommates at Iowa.


    Last edited by Royalclone; 02-08-2013 at 06:07 PM.

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 42,198, Level: 63
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,371
    Points
    42,198
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

    Re: NCAA Tournament Pairings

    Quote Originally Posted by Royalclone View Post
    Back when Johnson was in high school, Arson was telling us that ISU was recruiting her, then the talk died down and she committed to Iowa. She and her younger sister dominated the state tournament her senior year, and I was wondering what happened with our recruiting because Arson said she loved ISU. I think it was the fact that we had landed verbals from Pop and Prins, along with Z in the fold since her freshman year of high school. Pop, of course, had the motor, but was a little rough on the edges. She obviously had the advantage of the weight training that makes Aplington-Parkersburg a football power. I'd imagine if he had it to do over again, BF would have taken Morgan over Z. I don't think Z grew another inch after her freshman year of HS. Z has been extremely faithful to the program, but her playing time has gone the way of Florzak's and Mosman's - down every year.Ironic that two players that really wanted to go to ISU (Johnson and Nesbitt) ended up roommates at Iowa.
    Maybe Baier will develop as well as Johnson did.

    Frankly, I consider it a shame that there were some quality Iowa kids that ended up a Hawk. We could have definitely used Nesbitt as a backup the last couple years. And, with Johnson, we could have maybe redshirted her, Anna or Pop, so we lost 3 senior posts this year, and could have had a senior post again next year. And while I am all for quality walk-ons, why not give a scholly to a quality Iowa/Ames kid even if you don't think she would see playing time. Oh, well, I'm not coach, so I am sure he had some great reasons.

    but, it is a shame how much talent is on that Iowa roster, and how bad they can play sometimes. Last night their organization on the court was terrible. It seems the only teams their "weave" bothers is us.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 54,422, Level: 72
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,218
    Points
    54,422
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 89

    Re: NCAA Tournament Pairings

    I suspect we didn't pursue Johnson because of Prins and Pop



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM