Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Feature: Iowa State to be young but talented at DT in 13 - (Shane Burnham intervi

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    I've been thinking the same thing for some time. It is time. It is necessary. It has to get done.

Specifically, I'd like an update on Shaban Dika's health. Will he be ready to go for spring ball seems like a key question to ask.

Also, it would be terrific to have an overall update on the offensive line, who's gonna play at guard for sure, who's moving to tackle for sure, who is expected to back up Tom Farniok at center, and so on. Maybe after Coach K has reviewed and evaluated his OLinemen on tape. . . .
    Based on previous years and the extent of CPR to leave things open to competition I wouldnt expect to get a defined "Player A has moved to Position B etc". At least until fall camp is over.

Somehow this entire offensive unit needs to nut up and take the reins or we are in trouble.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

Re: Feature: Iowa State to be young but talented at DT in 13 - (Shane Burnham intervi

Good stuff Chris.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 719
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    Based on previous years and the extent of CPR to leave things open to competition I wouldnt expect to get a defined "Player A has moved to Position B etc". At least until fall camp is over. . . .
    In fact, CPR did this very thing late in the season on his call-in show, for spring ball talking about which OL players would move where and why. I don't recall all of what he said, which is why I thought it might make a nice feature some time before spring practice begins and after Coach K has had time to acquaint himself with his linemen.

CPR was not the least reluctant to mention, by name, players that were playing guard, for example, who were better suited for the tackle positions and would likely make the move for spring practice.

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

Sometimes having youth/inexperience can be a good thing. This means were getting new guys in that hopefully are more talented.

Hate to knock previous starters on the Dline, but with improved recruiting I would hope the new guys are faster and more athletic.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I really think Coe will start at DT for us right away
    I wouldn't be surprised either. In another CF thread I mentioned a story CPR told yesterday at the Gridiron Club event about Coe's athleticism throwing down windmill basketball dunks at 6-3, 285 lbs. CPR was giddy telling that story. I am excited about how much potential Coe has, we'll see if he can turn that potential into reality.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

Coe was a 4 Star RB that Iowa fans were drooling over. He probably has some talent. Sounds like he still has a great deal of talent with all the added weight. Great get!

Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Hard View Post
    To me it looks like we will have a 6-man rotation on the inside with Woods, Coe and Cousins at NT and Jensen, Bevins and Aka at DT. The great thing is I think a lot of these younger guys have gotten experience at both DE and DT that they will be able to switch on the line, stunt, etc. with the DE's to further confuse the OL and get in the backfield. Looks ok to me, and with Shane I trust they'll play to a sufficient level.
    I see what you're going for with that analysis, but I don't think there's any way that Coe is going to play nose since we play base 4-3 and NT or NG is more of a 3-4 (5-2) position. Regardless, he's got a high center of gravity, is a waist-bender and plays pads-high predominantly so he looks much more comfortable from the edge, so it will be interesting to see his development. I agree with you and think he's going to wind up in the rotation at 3tech with Jensen and Woods. It will be fun to watch who emerges at those 3techs to challenge Jensen and Woods, including him. Aka sounds like he's developed so I think he's one to watch as well.

Cheers

Rookie
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I am most excited about Coe on the defensive line. 6'3 285 and has reportedly ran a 4.7 forty. Yes please.

I am also excited about the young talent. Hopefully Jensen and Woods take note of the younger guys and don't want to lose their playing time. Might make them work as hard as possible and bring them good seasons. Size and Athleticism. Got to love it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

There's NG's in 4-3's... You're thinking of NT that's in a 3-4.

Walk On
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Can't wait to see these young guys play!

Rookie
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 70

Great article on the DL Chris! Have you or anyone else heard of any late Fillers from the JUCO's at LB or DL? I know we added Pompey and some other guys last year a week or so after LOI Day was over. Is there any potential Grayshirts at those positions? By the looks of Garcia, it looks like he is almost big enough to contribute as a freshman, although I'm sure we'd prefer to redshirt him.

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    There's NG's in 4-3's... You're thinking of NT that's in a 3-4.
    Correct. I'm assuming he'll play the 1 technique while Coe or whoever else will play the 3.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,363
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 9

This is pretty sobering. 2013 will be...by far...CPR's most challenging year. And that's saying something. I say buy your tickets, make sure the beer is extra cold at the tailgate, yell like hell when you get into the Jack...and plug your nose at the end. It's going to be a rough year.

I really hope expectations are going down a bit. I fear that won't be the case sense most guys think since this is Pauls 5th year everything should be rocking and rolling. Really 2012 was our year to make noise...didn't really happen. Still very excited about the young talent but everyone should not expect a bowl this coming year. If it happens CPR deserves COY and shouldn't be close.

Rookie
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 70

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    This is pretty sobering. 2013 will be...by far...CPR's most challenging year. And that's saying something. I say buy your tickets, make sure the beer is extra cold at the tailgate, yell like hell when you get into the Jack...and plug your nose at the end. It's going to be a rough year.

I really hope expectations are going down a bit. I fear that won't be the case sense most guys think since this is Pauls 5th year everything should be rocking and rolling. Really 2012 was our year to make noise...didn't really happen. Still very excited about the young talent but everyone should not expect a bowl this coming year. If it happens CPR deserves COY and shouldn't be close.
    I agree 100% Mustang. Hopefully the new OL coach will bring some new techniques and strategies to run the ball better next season. We have a boatload of RB's, just need a better running scheme. Hope we use some more straight ahead blocking schemes and not all the lateral, beat 'em to the edge style that only works occasionally, and not so much vs. elite Big 12 competition/speed. OL improvement is crucial as we bring in all these young pups on the DL. Could be a LONG year vs. running teams on Defense, although Wally schemes vs. the run pretty well. In a year or two, we will be a force on Defense, but next year could be a roller coaster ride.

"winners never quit; quitters never win"

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclophile1 View Post
    I see what you're going for with that analysis, but I don't think there's any way that Coe is going to play nose since we play base 4-3 and NT or NG is more of a 3-4 (5-2) position. Regardless, he's got a high center of gravity, is a waist-bender and plays pads-high predominantly so he looks much more comfortable from the edge, so it will be interesting to see his development. I agree with you and think he's going to wind up in the rotation at 3tech with Jensen and Woods. It will be fun to watch who emerges at those 3techs to challenge Jensen and Woods, including him. Aka sounds like he's developed so I think he's one to watch as well.

Cheers
    in our defense nose refers to the 1 technique dt

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads