Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: JP kicked out of game at Gilbert?

good thing Murph and Andy like Jamie. They ignored the story. Kind of like they did when Erin Kiernans hubby got arrested drunk driving in his boxer shorts. If they like you, you get a pass.

Starter
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    I would be willing to bet the ref was Mark Boggio (spelling). Guy is from Colfax and always refs their home games at every level (varsity included). At halftime he would sometimes sit with the home fans and joke around with them. More than once over the years I was a coach in the conference he would make a call down there and then when I asked for an explanation he'd just laugh.

I only had him for basketball but I've heard softball is similar. There are several great HS officials in our area, but unfortunately a few of them just do it for a power trip. I wasn't there and don't know that it was him for sure, but I would be shocked if it wasn't...
    Not sure who the refs were for this game, but someone told me that they had kicked somebody else out when they played CMB.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 64

Quote Originally Posted by cloneiac View Post
    good thing Murph and Andy like Jamie. They ignored the story. Kind of like they did when Erin Kiernans hubby got arrested drunk driving in his boxer shorts. If they like you, you get a pass.
    Or they realized that its not really a story to begin with.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Namely those coming here to cry about their feelings being hurt from someone yelling at them. It confirms there are many in that "profession" with major insecurity issues.
    True and the majority of people who yell at referees would also qualify. Whether they think they need to be a tough guy and say, "Crappy calls like this don't happen in my gym! I'm going to do something about it!" or they're just someone who ******* to *****, they've got major insecurity issues.

Addict
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 691
    Given: 323

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    True and the majority of people who yell at referees would also qualify. Whether they think they need to be a tough guy and say, "Crappy calls like this don't happen in my gym! I'm going to do something about it!" or they're just someone who ******* to *****, they've got major insecurity issues.
    Or they are just drunk. Come on man, you need a chill pill. Nothing wrong with this:

“They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 6

Got to get my wife to tone it down a bit at the MBB games...she has called the refs a lot of bad things over the years.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 703
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 428

This story is all over the place nationally but none of the articles mention the ref's name. They probably drug him out of some bar in Mingo to ref.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    Why does no one hold officials accountable? I have been to a couple high school games this year, and I don't think any of these guys know much about the game. They have no idea what to call and when! It must be tough to get knowledgeable basketball people to referee these days.
    Think about this one...its a high school game. They aren't being paid squat. They are doing this because they love the game. How many people that gripe about officials actually step up and say, "ok, I'm going to do this." Its a thankless job. I actually took a year off from coaching just to officiate so I could feel and experience the other side. Its not fun.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Bret44 View Post
    Or they are just drunk. Come on man, you need a chill pill. Nothing wrong with this:

Wow.. Pollard was looking a little rough attending the game like that. I heard he even ran onto the floor to protest.

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Walk On
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Wow, I remembered my password. Anyway, I'm a current ISU student and graduated from Colfax-Mingo two years ago. My sister is on the girls' team and was at the game. Basically, she said it was totally overblown and Pollard just said it was a terrible call and nothing more. Pollard probably didn't deserve it, but I hate parents who treat HS games like the Final Four. My dad gets so worked up over GIRLS' games (but didn't for mine?) and has been kicked out multiple times in the same gym by the same principal. The refs probably had it out for Pollard, but to treat the refereeing of a regular season Class 1A Iowa High School Basketball game like the end of the world is idiotic.

Last edited by CycloneRoss; 02-07-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: grammar

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

fact is, when you throw a paying customer out of a game you have resigned yourself to the fact that you are no longer in control of your emotions and therefore not in control of the game. UNLESS, a patron is being profane, you need to keep your eye on the ball and ref the game. Years ago refs never threw people out. Its the "all about me" mindset that plagues many people today. ITS NOT about the refs. Its all about the game. Quit trying to be more than you are. We shouldn't even remember you if you are controlling the game. JP has the right to complain as we all do if we feel you are calling a lousy game. IF you can't take the abuse, then get out. You knew what you were in for before you put on the whistle.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy View Post
    We shouldn't even remember you
    Although the tone of your post is a bit harsh you have hit on an important point here. My goal for every game I officiate is to not be noticed. I want to be like the waiter who slips you a drink refill before you know you're running low. If at the end of the night I know that no one is going home talking about the officials, good or bad, I am happy.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 703
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 428

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRoss View Post
    Wow, I remembered my password. Anyway, I'm a current ISU student and graduated from Colfax-Mingo two years ago. My sister is on the girls' team and was at the game. Basically, she said it was totally overblown and Pollard just said it was a terrible call and nothing more. Pollard probably didn't deserve it, but I hate parents who treat HS games like the Final Four. My dad gets so worked up over GIRLS' games (but didn't for mine?) and has been kicked out multiple times in the same gym by the same principal. The refs probably had it out for Pollard, but to treat the refereeing of a regular season Class 1A Iowa High School Basketball game like the end of the world is idiotic.
    Any word on whether the ref regularly does games in Colfax? Our high school, the freshman game refs are coaches and teachers in our district and the biggest homers ever, but we circulate the refs for jv and varsity from other places.

Was at an away game once where the ref got hurt and they actually let one of our fans who was a certified ref come out of the stands and finish the game.

Walk On
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by carvers4math View Post
    This story is all over the place nationally but none of the articles mention the ref's name. They probably drug him out of some bar in Mingo to ref.
    Hey! I'm sure the ref was in the kitchen with everyone else and didn't see a thing!!

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,151
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy View Post
    fact is, when you throw a paying customer out of a game you have resigned yourself to the fact that you are no longer in control of your emotions and therefore not in control of the game. UNLESS, a patron is being profane, you need to keep your eye on the ball and ref the game. Years ago refs never threw people out. Its the "all about me" mindset that plagues many people today. ITS NOT about the refs. Its all about the game. Quit trying to be more than you are. We shouldn't even remember you if you are controlling the game. JP has the right to complain as we all do if we feel you are calling a lousy game. IF you can't take the abuse, then get out. You knew what you were in for before you put on the whistle.
    Agree with the first part, strongly disagree with the latter part. We can agree to disagree but just because you are a paying customer at high school sporting event does not give you the right to berate someone ad nauseum without some sort of repercussion.

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City