Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: JP kicked out of game at Gilbert?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    It's probably hard to find people who can put up with the parents & coaches.
    Yup. The pay isn't worth the abuse from the idiot brigade.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 2

I'm in high school and had a ref tell me to be quiet this year. Does that count?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 488

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    I would be willing to bet the ref was Mark Boggio (spelling). Guy is from Colfax and always refs their home games at every level (varsity included). At halftime he would sometimes sit with the home fans and joke around with them. More than once over the years I was a coach in the conference he would make a call down there and then when I asked for an explanation he'd just laugh.

I only had him for basketball but I've heard softball is similar. There are several great HS officials in our area, but unfortunately a few of them just do it for a power trip. I wasn't there and don't know that it was him for sure, but I would be shocked if it wasn't...
    I've worked with Boggio in softball. Funny guy, but I am not particularly shocked by your opinion of him.

Legend
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 488

Quote Originally Posted by cloneiac View Post
    my buddy was at the game and captured it all on video on his phone. he's telling me it wouldn't reflect well on the refs or JP. He is in touch with a local tv channel who want it pretty bad.
    Please ask him to keep it to himself.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 24

I don't even know the exact number of high schools in Iowa, but when you consider on a given Tuesday or Friday there is a need for literally hundreds of officials, it's just not possible they're all going to be good. It's an unfortunate truth. The majority are people who enjoy it, work hard at it and honestly try to do the best they can do. There are a small number who are *** holes and ruin it for everyone, just like anything else.

My guess is, some official last night fell into the latter category, went to the game knowing JP was going to be there and went looking for trouble.

I'm not being a smart *** when I say this. Some of you people who complain about officials, often times rightfully so, should look into becoming one. You might find you enjoy it and maybe you'll be awesome at it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I don't even know the exact number of high schools in Iowa, but when you consider on a given Tuesday or Friday there is a need for literally hundreds of officials, it's just not possible they're all going to be good. It's an unfortunate truth. The majority are people who enjoy it, work hard at it and honestly try to do the best they can do. There are a small number who are *** holes and ruin it for everyone, just like anything else.

My guess is, some official last night fell into the latter category, went to the game knowing JP was going to be there and went looking for trouble.

I'm not being a smart *** when I say this. Some of you people who complain about officials, often times rightfully so, should look into becoming one. You might find you enjoy it and maybe you'll be awesome at it.
    I agree with this but for different reasons. Ref something competitive to see how difficult it is and see if you have the desire to continue after spending hours getting yelled at by every jackwagon within 100 yards.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,974
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Because refs don't have to account to some hick from Eddyville yelling at them from the stands!

I thought he was from Gilbert.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think referees should be the ones requesting fans be kicked out of the game. That is why administrators are there. Referees, unless fearing bodily harm, should ignore the fans comments and focus on the game. Referees who respond to fan comments are just provoking more issues.

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,007
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 124

If everyone was a moral upstanding athlete we wouldn't need refs. We need refs because y'all are cheaters and thugs.

Honestly, though, I read this entire thread and there have been zero verified facts. I thought as Cyclones we hold ourselves to higher standards of at least showing sources.

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

as a high school official this sickens me! you know i am tired of people complaining about officials i have been officiating high school sports for about 5 years and ive probably thrown 2-3 people out of an event. i have probably seen it happen about 5 times total. you have to be a complete moron to get thrown out of a high school basketball game. people tend to forget how stupid they look and sound. As For Jamie Pollard if this is true shame on him a guy with his role at a top 100 research instatuiton acting like an idiot. i mean why would you want to draw that much attention to yourself JP is probably the 3rd most reconizable individual at Iowa State.

its really sad that people have to act that way, officials at the high school level are not paid thousands of dollars to go out and ref a game it is about 80-100 dollars a night. these officials are guys who do not focus all there efforts into officiating most of them if not all have other jobs and families just like you and me. and if you dont like the way the officiating is handled, go out and register yourself anyone can do it, see how it feels to step into there shoes for a night. Reguarding the level of officiating in high school, yes it can be rough but think about it if we had a skill requirement there would be not enough officials to cover the entire state. as of right now there are not enough officials, its hard to cover all three levels (freshman, Jv, Varsity) of basketball boys and girls right now.

and maybe the calls were bad ive definatly made my share of bad calls but that is not the premise, people need to understand there is a level of decorum and it is not right to boo officials no matter what the call is.

it is different to boo college or profesional officials because well that is there primary job and those guys are the best at what they do day in and day out.

Last edited by cymate; 02-06-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    in the laaaaab

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post

I used to be one of those *** holes constantly ripping on referees. Then I started doing football, basketball, and baseball games. Now I'm embarrassed that I was the *** hole the officials were making fun of in the locker room. Same story when I'm coaching. Making an *** of yourself doesn't actually fix anything.

The majority of officials I actually know personally and guys I've worked with are great guys. There are the unfortunate few that suck to work with but most of the ones I've dealt with are fair and do a nice job.

Based on games I've been involved in the people who ***** constantly about the officiating are normally the white trash scumbags. 95%+ of fans are respectable people. The problem is the 5% who are the most vocal. I do expect to get booed occasionally because no matter what call is made, 50% of the people in attendance aren't going to like it. That isn't a big deal. The guy who critiques every trip up the floor, follows you to the locker room, or waits for you after the game? *********.

In my opinion, the best officials are the ones who are there because they not only want to pay the bills, but they legitimately have fun. You don't have to be a fun hating jerk to maintain a professional appearance.

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    I don't think referees should be the ones requesting fans be kicked out of the game. That is why administrators are there. Referees, unless fearing bodily harm, should ignore the fans comments and focus on the game. Referees who respond to fan comments are just provoking more issues.
    a referee can not throw a fan out of a game, in technicallity it is the administrators job. an official if he does it the right way must inform the AD/ game administration or coach for the fan to be tossed.

in the laaaaab

Prospect
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

BOYCOTT COLFAX-MINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic13 View Post
    I'm in high school and had a ref tell me to be quiet this year. Does that count?
    I had a ref tell me to be quiet when I was playing a soccer game in 5th grade.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    That's all fine and dandy in thought but terrible in practice. Unfortunately some people aren't mature enough to handle acting like an adult at games and chirp. Now some other a-hole hears that guy chirping and starts. Now those guy's kids on the floor hear it and start chirping. It's best to politely ask them to stop before it gets too out of hand. Unfortunately that isn't a task all administrators are willing to do.

You can tell as an official who the good ADs and principals are as soon as you walk onto the floor. The good ones walk up and say, "Hey, I'm sitting right over there, if you have problems let me know" and you normally don't have issues because parents are held accountable because most of them know the AD when it comes to games in Iowa. The bad ones are nowhere to be found and generally have more a-holes because there is no one who is going to keep them in check.