Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 7

Re: SURPRISE: Nigel Tribune signs with Iowa State

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what coaches expect. Thcan't talk about these guys so if we don't hear anything about them for 6 months until they sign, then of course there is going to be talk. I am thinking more and more this had to do with the facetious starz/offerz comments being taken seriously instead of joking. I will also say that a recruit really shouldn't care. For one, we don't make the offers. For another, the staff has already given them their faith. I don't know why they need validation from the a fan site. There are fanbases with much more detailed coverage of recruits and it's not all positive. Can you imagine a place like Michigan if they take a 2 star guy? It's way worse and yet i have never heard of this being an issue. I'm also not buying that his switch came 100% from what was said from fans since he visited and then switched.
    The coaches expect "The Best Fans In The World" for which Iowa State has been and is known. From McCarney to Rhoads, Fennelly, Hoiberg, and Johnson-Lynch; they have all given credit to the fan base for whatever success they've had. You know the coaches are telling the recruits to look and listen to the Iowa State fans when you hear the recruits mention the various atmospheres the recruit experienced. If the recruit can't visit as much as they would like to visit, what do you expect them to do? I'd expect them to validate the coach's statements the best way they can and that would be by going to the best website dedicated to Cyclone athletics. You know what happens next. Most comments about other players or recruits are positive but someone makes a crack about how you don't measure up to another recruit in one way or another and then the feeding frenzy begins.

I'm not saying that a fan shouldn't post their true observations rather I'm saying that they should try to contextualize concerns with their overall observations. That would indicate a more knowledgeable and supportive fan which is what I think the Iowa State coaches are trying to promote.

We now know that we almost lost a recruit that the coaches wanted. We don't know how many others that were lost when the coaches couldn't retreive the offended recruit. The question you have to ask yourself is: Are you one of the fans that the coaches brag about or do you do your best to make the coaches look like liars?

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 60

******** these guys are pampered to much

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by isuforlife View Post
    ******** these guys are pampered to much
    and it's our job, as fans who have watched 5 minutes of highlight footage, to take em down a notch, right? please.

I stand by my statement of "Just because you can be a d-bag, doesn't meant you have to be a d-bag."

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    and it's our job, as fans who have watched 5 minutes of highlight footage, to take em down a notch, right? please.

I stand by my statement of "Just because you can be a d-bag, doesn't meant you have to be a d-bag."
    I think this misinterprets a lot of the criticism going on here. I think it is completely legitimate for fans to be concerned by the type of recruits our staff is bringing in. With some recruits, it is troubling to see that all other BCS level coaches have passed on a kid. Also, we have seen the perils of having short corners, or slow receivers. So when someone says "Great, another 5'6" corner" it don't see it as a personal attack on the kid, as some here are suggesting.

I realize it is a fine line, but as fines I think it is perfectly legitimate to question coaching decisions. We've all watched enough Iowa State football to realize areas where we have struggled in terms of talent and/or natural ability. Questioning a kids measurables or the interest form other programs we should be competing with is legitimate and shouldn't be interpreted as "trashing a kid".

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    I think this misinterprets a lot of the criticism going on here. I think it is completely legitimate for fans to be concerned by the type of recruits our staff is bringing in. With some recruits, it is troubling to see that all other BCS level coaches have passed on a kid. Also, we have seen the perils of having short corners, or slow receivers. So when someone says "Great, another 5'6" corner" it don't see it as a personal attack on the kid, as some here are suggesting.

I realize it is a fine line, but as fines I think it is perfectly legitimate to question coaching decisions. We've all watched enough Iowa State football to realize areas where we have struggled in terms of talent and/or natural ability. Questioning a kids measurables or the interest form other programs we should be competing with is legitimate and shouldn't be interpreted as "trashing a kid".
    This is absolutely correct. It isn't even close to going over the line if a fan base questions the size or the performance on a video. Name me one fan base that doesn't do that. If the recruit cannot take the 'heat' from an internet fan post then how can that same person measure up on the road against Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa, et al? D-1 athletes must have some thicker skin. I'm not saying the unpaid players who represent their schools should be ripped, but if you step into the spotlight then expect the good and the bad that comes with it. It's the nature of the beast. (and Iowa State fans are pretty damn cool to their players in general)

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 351
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post

Just saying they get alot of benefits by playing football, probally more then we know, but not questioning his ability , just know that you have to be humble and perform

Last edited by isuforlife; 02-09-2013 at 01:21 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10

I would think hearing stuff like that would push a player to come in to a program and prove people wrong. Its usually the smaller named kids who turn out to be the best. Look at Knott, he had not major offers and he came out and proved us that he deserved the offer. I hope Tribune does the same thing.

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

He looks like he pursues the ball well.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 246

ENCOURAGEMENT!

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post

...and this helps: the coaches? The players? The recruits? The fan base? If the observation has valuable merit, don't post it on a public message board that our competition can use against us; send a PM. I'm sure the recipient will be grateful for the assistance.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Pro
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

I absolutely love the fact that in one breath a poster will talk about how fired up they get watching a video from CPR and how they'd love to suit up for the guy...Then in the next breath when CPR asks something as simple as don't criticize 17-18 year old kids who the coaching staff has identified as guys they want as Cyclones start going on and on about how every fan base has message boards and deals with this bla bla bla.

I'd love to suit up and play for coach to help this program win, but if he wants me to not criticize an 17 year old on a public message board that's asking too much.

Sure, you have a right to discuss the recruits, it's America after all. That's why you should never use any judgement on what you say in our society because your entitled to your opinion regardless of the consequences.

I for one hope Nigel blows up and goes All Big 12 by the time he graduates to get some of the damn arm chair youtube recruiters on this board to trust the coaching staff that has had more success at ISU than any other staff in ISU history. But I'm sure you guys could do a much better job from your computers identifying who ISU needs to win.

Welcome Nigel. Kick some ***. I'm already a big fan of yours can't wait to see you play.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 80

I don't think its right to tear anyone down on the internet, especially a high school kid but these kids can't expect everything said about them to be sunshine and roses. The thing he's complaining about, is the same thing that probably got him a chance to play college football, modern technology/social networking is a great way to get these kids recognition but criticism is just part of it. I think we'll see more and more instances like this, of kids getting bent out of shape about whats said about them every year. I can't for the life of me understand why any type of prospect would make an effort to read the stuff that's said about them by idiots like us, let alone use twitter....IMO Twitter is nothing more than vanity. You want to pretend you're a celebrity? Be ready for what comes with it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 145

Quote Originally Posted by IsUaClone2 View Post
    ...and this helps: the coaches? The players? The recruits? The fan base? If the observation has valuable merit, don't post it on a public message board that our competition can use against us; send a PM. I'm sure the recipient will be grateful for the assistance.
    It's part of the ******* whole point of sports. It's entertainment, and analyzing situations and how they will play out. It is fun, and it loses a lot of the fun part when you are a 100% positive all the time, sunshine and unicorns homer.

There is obviously a line that shouldn't be crossed obviously, but as long as it isn't it is a perfectly normal part of sports in general.

Addict
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 149

Excited for his arrival! Welcome to CyclONE NATION Nigel!!! I think you are gonna love it here and find that the Jack Trice faithful will be behind you big time and that's more important than anyone's anonymous word on the internet.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by tyler24 View Post
    I would think hearing stuff like that would push a player to come in to a program and prove people wrong. Its usually the smaller named kids who turn out to be the best. Look at Knott, he had not major offers and he came out and proved us that he deserved the offer. I hope Tribune does the same thing.
    I hate to be negative, but if any of our recruits want to excel they need to buckle down and not have the "take my ball and go home" attitude. Even teams that recruit 5 start talent like Texas show every year what lack of drive does. It equals losses.

I hope Nigel comes in with the "the fans were wrong" attitude. That could equate to a special corner. If he comes in entitled, his career will either be unfulfilling, or finished elsewhere.

Last edited by brett108; 02-09-2013 at 02:30 PM.