Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

Ankeny 10th elementary bond vote today

Yes or no?

It seems everyone is in agreement that a new elementary is necessary, so a couple months ago I would have thought this bond would pass easily. But I've been surprised at the traction this argument over the location of the school has picked up, and I'm really starting to wonder now.

My thinking is that the debate over location is pretty silly because in a couple of years it will be moot. There's nothing surrounding that property now, but there's no doubt that there will be soon, and since school growth is coming from the west side of town that location gives the district a good chance to meet an immediate need in a way that positions it for future growth as well. Whatever issues make this particular location unattractive to people (extra busing for the first couple of years) would only be exacerbated by voting this down.

I also fail to understand why people are so distrustful of the school board and administrators. Only in recent years have I paid more attention to the politics surrounding the school board in Ankeny, but I've seen enough to suspect that opposition to this is about far more than just the proposed site of the school. There seem to be a lot of people who wouldn't be satisfied with anything, ever. But at some point you have to trust the people you've voted in - and the administrators they've hired - to make the right decisions. What motivation would the school district have for pouring thousands of hours into planning and attempting to pass a bond if they didn't think it was in the best long term interests of the community?

Curious what others think.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Ankeny 10th elementary bond vote today

The location is based on land the school district already owns which is helps keep this bond lower also.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,083
    Given: 575

My general philosophy is that I'm voting no for any tax increase that comes up until I am satisfied that our money is being used appropriately. Spending more seems to be the only answer our school administrators can come up with to improve educational results, and that approach clearly isn't producing results. The system as a whole needs to be reformed. But I don't live in Ankeny, so I guess that's up to them.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    My general philosophy is that I'm voting no for any tax increase that comes up until I am satisfied that our money is being used appropriately. Spending more seems to be the only answer our school administrators can come up with to improve educational results, and that approach clearly isn't producing results. The system as a whole needs to be reformed. But I don't live in Ankeny, so I guess that's up to them.
    I'm not sure how this relates in any way to my OP but I'm glad you were able to get that off your chest.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,225
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 96

I think it's funny that Ankeny's citizens threw out all four of the members up for re-election in 2011 because they felt the old board members were fiscally irresponsible. Now the new members they elected voted unanimously (with the rest of the board) to hold this bond referendum and people are still screaming about it. The people spoke and now they're dealing with the consequences.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride;3290258[B
    ]My general philosophy is that I'm voting no for any tax increase that comes up until I am satisfied that our money is being used appropriately.[/B] Spending more seems to be the only answer our school administrators can come up with to improve educational results, and that approach clearly isn't producing results. The system as a whole needs to be reformed. But I don't live in Ankeny, so I guess that's up to them.
    I don't think there will be a tax increase with the bond passing?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    I don't think there will be a tax increase with the bond passing?
    Correct, Taxes are actually going to go down by at least 8 cents per thousand. Ankeny is a growing community and will have more schools opening after this, Elementary 11 in 2017 and Elementary 12 in 2020 are already planned. If this bond does not pass it will mean all schools will be overcrowded by 2014 and class sizes will be at 32 per grade. For comparison my son currently has 21 kids in his class.

Ankeny is now the 8th largest school district in the state it just passed West Des Moines. Ankeny is growing and with growth comes the need for more schools, and since the tax rates will actually go down there is no reason to vote no. If you live in Ankeny please get out and VOTE YES!!!!!

Many Years Of Cyclone Logos

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    I'm not sure how this relates in any way to my OP but I'm glad you were able to get that off your chest.
    Fair enough in this case since this is a need based on growth, though unless it is a magical bond, it will have to be paid for, and rates going down is great until you find out your valuation is going up.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Fair enough in this case since this is a need based on growth, though unless it is a magical bond, it will have to be paid for, and rates going down is great until you find out your valuation is going up.
    What? Your valuation is going to fluctuate - and mostly likely go up, since that's what real estate generally does - regardless of what the tax rate is. But if the tax rate goes down you'll pay less than what you would have paid had the tax rate remained the same. This is supposed to be a good thing.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    What? Your valuation is going to fluctuate - and mostly likely go up, since that's what real estate generally does - regardless of what the tax rate is. But if the tax rate goes down you'll pay less than what you would have paid had the tax rate remained the same. This is supposed to be a good thing.
    The last two rate reductions in Indianola resulted in higher property taxes for me. That's just been my experience. I have yet to see my property lose value in the eyes of a tax assessor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

In my world, a decreasing tax rate and increasing home value are both good things.

However, you're right that people need to realize that this has to be paid for. It's like taking a 30-year mortgage that you've been paying on for 10 years and refinancing with a new 30-year mortgage - you end up paying more in the long run even though your monthly payment goes down.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The last two rate reductions in Indianola resulted in higher property taxes for me. That's just been my experience. I have yet to see my property lose value in the eyes of a tax assessor.
    I've been successful appealing my assessment. If you haven't already and you feel like your assessment is to high, try appealing it.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    In my world, a decreasing tax rate and increasing home value are both good things.

However, you're right that people need to realize that this has to be paid for. It's like taking a 30-year mortgage that you've been paying on for 10 years and refinancing with a new 30-year mortgage - you end up paying more in the long run even though your monthly payment goes down.
    In my world, the only thing that matters is what I write the check for. If it's higher, it's a tax increase.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 41

Indianola and Ankeny are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Ankeny is experiencing an abundance of growth in both the community and the schools. Indianola is on decline. So your first post, in retrospect, looks idiotic.

Last edited by Cybyassociation; 02-05-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 27

Ankeny elementary class sizes are > 27 right now. I don't care where this is built, we should be building 2. My kids go to a school where all 5 graders are in temp classrooms located outside.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775