Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 2

Re: How much better can Niang get?

Anyone can get better, Niang has really good feet down low with post moves that you just do not see out of a freshmen playing in a good conference like ours most of the time. He has that frame that can get a lot stronger which he will. Niang also handles the ball well and shoots well and for a freshmen has a pretty good face up game.

Has points is his game to work on, but all players do. Just really happy we have him playing for the good guys.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 146

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I think I disagree with a lot of you. I think he will improve but he has the mental aspect. He can get in better shape and get stronger. I don't see him developing many more skills though. I think he will always be average defensively. He has a lot going for him but above average athleticism isn't one of those things. I think he will be a very good player and a very unique player in that he can do about anything offensively but defensively he can only be so good I feel. So, I think dominant offensive player by year 4 but average defensively which is great. I'm fine with that but I would like to find his inverse in another big man. Someone who can replace Ejim in two years, really. We need a garbage guy like Ejim.
    I look at it like this. Niang will always be able to finish, but if he gets better at getting to the hole and getting past his man, he will be much better. And if he gets in shape he can be an good defender IMO. His positioning is very good, and teams go at him constantly, but he does alright. And he is not even close to the same league athletically as those guys. They are way stronger than him and all of their weight is straight muscle vs Niang with a good amount of baby fat. If Niang can just get close to that level athletically, mixed with his skills, he will be insane.

Walk On
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

He can shoot the ball but right now it seems like he either shoots an open three, drives it to the rack, or has a jump hook. I think he can get stronger and faster to improve in these three areas. Also I think the next part of his game will be a jab step jumper from about 15 feet or a fade away. If he gets those down he will be extremely hard to defend. (not that he isn't already)

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,023
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 11

Honestly, I don't see his offensive game getting that much better, because frankly he's already pretty amazing offensively. I do think he'll get more comfortable with the ball and facilitating. He's already very good at that, but will continue to get better, which will ultimately make the players around him that much better.

I do think his body will improve (strength and conditioning). That will mostly help him get more minutes and body up defensively.

Overall, his future is bright. I could see him setting many records at ISU before it's all said and done.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 24

Well at this point I'm okay with the ball with either of the 3 guys hands. I think a lot of them are playing at 1st or 2nd all big 12 level. We have a chance for B12 freshman of the year, leading for the 6th man of the year, might just win COY again.

Awards galore at this point.

Keepers of the Faith -- htiaF eht fo srepeeK

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Addict
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 32

He's basically Royce White without the ball on a string but with a much better jumper.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 14

There's a guy that couldn't jump that comes to my mind. Hate the guy, but he was a great college player.

Niang could develop a mid-range game and lead us to a couple national titles, just like Laettner did for the Blue Devils in the 90's. That'd be allright by me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	christian-laettner-the-shot.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	18051

Last edited by BigLame; 02-04-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    “I heard that Snooki, Pauly D and The Situation will each make $5 million for this season’s ‘Jersey Shore.’ It just goes to show that if you put your mind to something and work hard, you’re wasting your time.” -- Jimmy Fallon

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 9

Niang is a much better defender than people are giving him credit for. If he had Ejim's leaping ability, he'd be leaving for the NBA soon.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

how much better can georges get? wait for him to get in shape and find out. not bashing him at all but being on a D1 strength program will do him some good. I think he'll average 18 & 8 next year. His post up game is outstanding

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 213

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    Niang is a much better defender than people are giving him credit for. If he had Ejim's leaping ability, he'd be leaving for the NBA soon from Kentucky.
    FIFY.

To those saying he won't improve offensively, I think I understand what you are saying, but I think he will improve in several ways. First off, conditioning. He plays really good offense at the beginning of halves, but can trail off after he's been on the floor for a bit. Second, he needs to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble. By his Jr year, he should be playing 30-35 minutes per game. Third, when he is an upperclassman, the offense will run through him much more than it does today, much like Royce last year. 2 apg is amazing for a freshman big, but I think he'll get that up to at least 5 when the offense is tailored for him.

The other place I think he'll improve offensively is knowing what shots to take when. Not that he has bad shot selection now, but I think it'll really improve. He can also be a more consistent rebounder.

I have quite high expectations for Niang, I think he could have a Fizer-esque career path. I think by his senior year he could potentially be a 20-10-5 guy. He has that much potential.

Walk On
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

pretty sure niang has topped out. I'd expect him to regress over the next few years.

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,023
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 11

He does get a bad rap for being out of shape. I personally don't think he's in bad shape for a FR. There aren't many FR posts that can come into their first year and give the amount of time/production that he has. He'll certainly improve, as all FR do, but he's in decent shape for a post player at this stage.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,049
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 6

he really reminds me a lot of Larry Bird. He isn't going to wow anyone with his athletic ability, but somehow he just gets his shots and makes them. He is just sneeky cleaver with the ball, and a great passer. He just knows where to go to get the ball for an easy basket.

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 62

He makes really good players look like ametuers. If he can develop some more speed and the conditioning to go full bore the whole game, his top is very high. Also, with the flashes of brilliant team play I have seen this year, these coaches are really due some credit. If Fred has 4 years developing Georges, he will be one of the most special players I have seen at ISU and will probably end up with a banner next to Hoibergs.

Legend
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by CyBri View Post
    He can shoot the ball but right now it seems like he either shoots an open three, drives it to the rack, or has a jump hook.
    So all he can do is shoot from the outside, drive and finish with touch, use great post moves on the block, and execute on either end of a pick and roll? meh.

Really, we have seen Niang score in almost any manner that does not require superior strength or jumping ability.

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    Honestly, I don't see his offensive game getting that much better, because frankly he's already pretty amazing offensively. I do think he'll get more comfortable with the ball and facilitating. He's already very good at that, but will continue to get better, which will ultimately make the players around him that much better. .
    Maybe not that much better, but with more strength and experience, he could be a go-to, dominant player. He already has the skill to make tough shots, but if he transforms his body he will get more easy looks (fast-breaks, out-muscling guys for better position). Adding the strength to back most guys down to his great footwork and touch would be a guy that demands double teams. I also suspect he adds to his skill level too- tightens his already decent handle and mid-range game.