Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 217

Baylor's 5 star kids

I know Austin has had better games this year than what we saw last night, but these string beans that have potential Baylor seems to get leave me scratching my head. Austin reminds me a ton of Perry Jones III, SOFT is a word that comes to mind. When I think 5 star I think of Smart, McClemore, Carmelo, Micheal Beasely, Royce White, and even Craig Brackins to some degree. Dominating players that have some aspect of their game that makes you say wow. Couple that with the **** poor coaching they receive @ Baylor, I dont see these kids reaching their potential there. Throw in the empty arenas and I can't help but wonder why they sign up to play there. If its money you can't tell me that Baylor is the only school offering it, Calipari's kids play in front of crazy crowds with tradition and its likely there is money changing hands there as well. So why Baylor? Blows my mind.

This brings the topic to our ISU Cyclones. The Hilton crowd is as good as most in college basketball. We have state of the art facilities. We play an NBA style with a coach that continues to prove himself as a coach with a bunch of transfers, who has proven himself in the NBA and in the front office. I believe its not if its when the first BIG TIME player comes to ISU out of high school. I'm hoping it will snowball into something special especially if that 5 star player is mixed in with the 4 4* players already on the roster or signed. This is why a kid like Vaughn is so important, he may be the straw that stirs the elite 8 drink, kind of like Carmelo did when he led Syracuse to a title. Mix a big time player with a few really good players that will play more than 1 year and something special could truely happen. Fizer, Tinsely and Co proved that winning it all can happen in Ames.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 6

Re: Baylor's 5 star kids

In basketball, if you can show you can do it or you show you have the potential/tools you will be sought after. I think Baylor gets more of the latter. Austin has all the tools and potential to be a great basketball player and that is all the NBA wants/needs to draft you in the first round. To answer your question about stars.

Why kids want to play there? Well Baylor did go to the Elite Eight last year and again in 2010. Last year they got 3 players drafted. Despite having a crappy home court atmosphere, Drew has shown some success there and getting gets to the next level.

Hoiberg will get us there. You saw it with Georgres, now Matt Thomas and Monte Morris, next is Custer and hopefully Vaughn and I wouldn't be surprised if we get another 4 star. Going to take some time.

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by megamanxzero35 View Post
    In basketball, if you can show you can do it or you show you have the potential/tools you will be sought after. I think Baylor gets more of the latter. Austin has all the tools and potential to be a great basketball player and that is all the NBA wants/needs to draft you in the first round. To answer your question about stars.

Why kids want to play there? Well Baylor did go to the Elite Eight last year and again in 2010. Last year they got 3 players drafted. Despite having a crappy home court atmosphere, Drew has shown some success there and getting gets to the next level.

Hoiberg will get us there. You saw it with Georgres, now Matt Thomas and Monte Morris, next is Custer and hopefully Vaughn and I wouldn't be surprised if we get another 4 star. Going to take some time.
    They literally had the easiest schedule possible in the tournament to get that far.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IHavNoCyCash View Post
    Iowa St. will never have top 10 classes. I think the max would be a 5* here and there with a 4* every class and some JUCOS to fill immediate needs. Think Hoiberg won't go after alot of guys outside the top 150 with his recruiting philosophy.
    This is a possibility but honestly if it can be done at Baylor, why not ISU? We have a better tradition better support, granted they have access to better talent in Texas than we do in iowa but we are surrounded by talent rich states such as Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio as well as out East, the coaching staff has ties to each of these talent rich areas. Once Fred gets his first 5* kid I think more are surely to follow.

Prospect
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Someone told me today that Austin is only a freshmen and that's why he didn't play well. WELL, our freshmen (6'7'') compared to their NBA Lottery Pick (7'1") made him look foolish and pathetic. "You can't teach size" is basically what you are getting there.. Some of my thoughts during the game included me even considering Woodbury over Austin... Georges made him look pathetic.

It just cracks me up that the projected #6 NBA Draft pick/five star recruit was completely outplayed by our underrated four star recruit Georges. Georges has potential to outplay any 5 star player Baylor will recruit in the next four years...

BTW... Who wants to go to that **** hole Waco, anyway?

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 670
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 36

Iowa St. will never have top 10 classes. I think the max would be a 5* here and there with a 4* every class and some JUCOS to fill immediate needs. Think Hoiberg won't go after alot of guys outside the top 150 with his recruiting philosophy.
    i disagree. i think fred will start landing some top notch talent. if vaughn commits then that will be the beginning of it. other highly ranked kids will want to visit and see what a great atmospehere we have and they will want to play in ames as well

This is Ophion speaking.

Prospect
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by demoncore1031 View Post
    i disagree. i think fred will start landing some top notch talent. if vaughn commits then that will be the beginning of it. other highly ranked kids will want to visit and see what a great atmospehere we have and they will want to play in ames as well
    Yup. Look at teams like Butler, VCU etc.. I know they are only signing four stars at the moment, but they are signing Top 100 recruits and they keep coming. If Fred keeps us on the right track by taking us to the tourney and landing 4 star prospects and maybe Vaughn, domino effect will come into play due to the National Exposure..

Also, if we keep this home winning streak alive/make it tuff for even the top teams to win at home, recruits will take visits and see what Hilton and our fans are all about.

Point is, Freddy has us getting more and more in the National Spotlight, and the more he does that, the more five star recruits and top prospects will start to want to come to Ames. Fred will start to land some big time names in the next few years. Hell of a coach and really knows how to get a good relationship with the recruits.

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

We had a top 5 class once. Ended up being full of flame outs other than Fizer and that turned out pretty well for us.

Starter
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 29

I am happy the Baylor stars had an off game, but odds are they will have big games in Waco and Niang will not. Things have a way of evening themselves out with a home and home series.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone1975 View Post
    I am happy the Baylor stars had an off game, but odds are they will have big games in Waco and Niang will not. Things have a way of evening themselves out with a home and home series.
    1- Agree.

2- People really act like Drew is pulling in Calipari classes... he isn't. He's pulling in really talented kids but not the all-NBA rosters people act like he does. Austin will be really good eventually but is a work in progress right now.

3- Congrats on the win.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,073
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy11 View Post
    1- Agree.

2- People really act like Drew is pulling in Calipari classes... he isn't. He's pulling in really talented kids but not the all-NBA rosters people act like he does. Austin will be really good eventually but is a work in progress right now.

3- Congrats on the win.
    I agree that Drew probably gets a bad rap. His classes are definitely good and talented, but he's in the same ballpark as 10-15 other basketball schools in regards to recruiting.

He's gone to 2 out of the last 3 Elite 8's. He's not a hall of fame coach, but I'm guessing that 9 out of 10 people that bash him, would gladly take his results.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 910
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 24

Fizer was before the class that flamed out, the 2000 or 2001 class was #4, but lost a couple to eligibility (jerome harper was the big one) and then transfers (Haluska was part of that class I believe). No reason why Fred can't get a top 5 class with some success.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,073
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67

Quote Originally Posted by nj829 View Post
    Fizer was before the class that flamed out, the 2000 or 2001 class was #4, but lost a couple to eligibility (jerome harper was the big one) and then transfers (Haluska was part of that class I believe). No reason why Fred can't get a top 5 class with some success.
    No I think Fizer's class was big too. I thought we had one other very highly ranked kid that didn't end up making the grades that was in Fizer's class.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The point about Baylor is how is he drawing the talent? They have had a 5 star kid I believe 4 years running in each class. The fan support is a joke, there is no tradition to speak of, a former player actually killed another player and the coach previously tried to cover it up, the current coach is terrible and is a dork on top of it. None of this adds up to the type of talent Scott Drew is getting in there. He must be running another Waco religious cult.