Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 49

Re: God Made A Farmer commercial = EPIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Because you can't work 14 hour days and have a life with your family, right?
    Certainly one way to read that.

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Legend
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 19

Because a wife is like an all-time boss.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 60

[QUOTE=WooClone15;3287723]I think for my dad it was more of a family history thing. The farm's been in our family since the 1840's and he was the first son to not farm so I think that was a little hard. But he's still involved in agriculture so he enjoys that.

And I know, it is pretty surprising. I go to the college so there aren't that many of us from Iowa but there are a few. Do you have a connection to Wooster/the area?[/QUOTE]

I also noticed that you were from Wooster and I recognized the town name because I do have connections to that area. Some of my ancestors were farmers from England/Ireland. Some of them helped start the early colonies and then bought land, improved it and then sold it and moved west and did it again and again. Some of them ended up owning land near Welcome, Ohio which is about 17 miles SE of Wooster. They are buried in a cemetery that was on their farm. Find A Grave: Underhill Cemetery

Also, Jack Trice and some of his family are buried about 55 miles NE of Wooster in Hiram, Ohio.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Because you can't work 14 hour days and have a life with your family, right?

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 50

Thursday I spent most of the day on a cow-calf operation in western South Dakota with exactly the kind of farmer depicted in that commercial. Friday, I spent the day with both large, and very small, purebred cattle breeders at a bull show and sale - all of them could have stepped right out of that commercial. Agriculture is not just made up of 15K+ acre land barons that never get their hands dirty. My 84-year old farther is still a force of nature and he's quick to tell you that if he couldn't keep farming he'd roll up and die. Oh and hey, through he wasn't a giant farmer, he could, and did, afford new pick ups and updated equipment.

I grew up on a farm in the 70's and 80's that was built with pure sweat and scratch. My father didn't inherit land till he was in his mid-50's. Guess what - though my father farmed only 500 acres the farm was incorporated. Because he was incorporated that didn't mean he ran the operation from a leather chair in an air conditioned office. There were no hired hands - just my parents and us kids. People using the term 'corporate farming' just to dehumanize the profession drives me nuts.

I think people do need to know where their food comes from. It's not just foo-foo dust put in cardboard boxes and plastic bags in the back of a Magic grocery stores.

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

Addict
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bugs4cy View Post
    Thursday I spent most of the day on a cow-calf operation in western South Dakota with exactly the kind of farmer depicted in that commercial. Friday, I spent the day with both large, and very small, purebred cattle breeders at a bull show and sale - all of them could have stepped right out of that commercial. Agriculture is not just made up of 15K+ acre land barons that never get their hands dirty. My 84-year old farther is still a force of nature and he's quick to tell you that if he couldn't keep farming he'd roll up and die. Oh and hey, through he wasn't a giant farmer, he could, and did, afford new pick ups and updated equipment.

I grew up on a farm in the 70's and 80's that was built with pure sweat and scratch. My father didn't inherit land till he was in his mid-50's. Guess what - though my father farmed only 500 acres the farm was incorporated. Because he was incorporated that didn't mean he ran the operation from a leather chair in an air conditioned office. There were no hired hands - just my parents and us kids. People using the term 'corporate farming' just to dehumanize the profession drives me nuts.

I think people do need to know where their food comes from. It's not just foo-foo dust put in cardboard boxes and plastic bags in the back of a Magic grocery stores.
    (drops mic)

Well stated bugs.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 194

I wish my brothers could just inherit the farm. Estate and gift taxes do not make it easy. My parents are in their late fifties, and won't officially own our farm, that they paid several million for from my dad's parents, for another 7 years. Just in time to retire and turn it over to my brothers. Though they're trying like heck to set up some sort of LLC/Corporation/Trust that accounts for all possible future scenarios. Not easy to do.

Of course not all farms are the type depicted in that commercial, but for those of us that grew up on one or still run one, it sure rings true. And it's always nice to get a little thank you shout-out, and remind people where their food comes from, even if it is ultimately to sell a fancy truck ;)

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 983
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 124

my experience with farmers is them frantically buying trucks before the end of the year for tax writeoffs.

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 284

Splint the broken leg of a meadowlark is a little sentimental, but it was still a great commercial.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    I'm an idiot. I get it now. Sorry.

As some have said, if you think every aspect of farming is drastically different than it used to be, you are wrong. Go work with the cow/calf guys during calving season. Now is the cropping portion significantly easier than it used to be? Sure it is. There's also a business dynamic that didn't exist to such an extent 20 years ago. There's more money to move and marketing errors are much more costly.

Anyway, the commercial was a bit sentimental but I still thought it was cool because you don't see a lot of commercials directed right at farmers on Super Bowl Sunday. It was also a money grab by Dodge but that's every commercial. It beats Mike Rowe blabbering and GM dropping ridiculous things into the box of a pickup anyway.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by bugs4cy View Post

Awesome post. I think there's a misconception that the vast majority of farmers are just managers which isn't the case as I see it. Sure, they aren't all their own mechanic like they used to be and they don't do things the way they used to but there are a lot of decisions to be made now that didn't exist back then either.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Rookie
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    It's interesting reading that those who bash Iowa's ANF stickers like this commercial. It's a marketing money grab, they really don't care.
    False. Dodge and Case IH went in together on the commercial and the "Keep plowing" campaign with the FFA, with every view of the video, money is being donated to the National FFA Organization and going towards very worthy causes. (you can even see the FFA Emblem at the end of the commercial. As a farmer, a son of a farmer, and a grandson of a farmer, as well as being an Ag student here,I couldn't be prouder. I missed the 1st quarter of the game tonight because I was pulling pigs and wouldn't trade it for anything. The American Farmer doesn't have many people stand up for him these days, with PETA, HSUS, and other organizations trying to stop our professions, but this was a huge step forward and in the right direction. Amen

"Really Jail wouldn't be so bad (If he had CF)..I'd wake up-check Cyclone Fanatic and not have to go to work, so there's a plus" -MEClone

Speechless
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 683

Sadly though my mom side was raised on a farm I was raised a city boy, but have a huge amount of respect for what those who farm do. I think after one day I be done. I think that commercial has more impact for those who lived what the commercial is describing.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 132

Awesome commercial. Too bad it was done by Fiat and not Ford.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

Definitely the most impactful commercial of the SB..our group of 25 or so was dead quiet during the entire commercial listening to each word. That didn't happen with any other commercial.