Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 452

Re: President Leath on SEZ and conference realignment

Quote Originally Posted by CtownCyclone View Post
    I was one of the few who were there and can back this up. Fans are fickle.
    I was there there the first time and dragged Mrs. Velo to the game - she has never forgiven me for making her sit in the cold, rain, sleet and freezing rain for that debacle.

I was at a wedding (Cyclone alumni and fans) for the second and had to listen to his d-bag squawk family start hooting and hollering during the ceremony when ISU lost.

Last edited by VeloClone; 02-01-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFine View Post
    One thing I do not want to hear anymore is that we need to win more to justify the SEZ. No, we do not.
    Well, the ISU Prez apparently disagrees with you. As an alternative, you can pony up the money for SEZ...

ISU was not winning consistently in basketball when Hilton was built.
    Two completely different situations...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Walk On
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by ISUagger View Post
    My frat just had the president over for dinner ...

On conference realignment, he said he is leaving tomorrow morning to meet with the other presidents. Two conference schools want more teams now. The other eight are waiting for the right school to come along. The current rumor of Virginia Tech and Clemson isn't true, but Leath said that they would like to add those schools.

Just thought you guys would find that interesting.
    Any speculation on which 2 schools these are? West Virginia and ...?

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ElephantPie View Post
    Colorado. Hey wait a minute! How did you guys get into this meeting!

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,810
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Well, the ISU Prez apparently disagrees with you. As an alternative, you can pony up the money for SEZ...

Two completely different situations...
    No, all we have to do is fill the stadium. That should justify an expansion. Are you telling me the ISU president supports a position that results in less revenue? If so, everyone should be worried.

Also, please enlighten us as to how basketball and football are "different situations."

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCy View Post
    Or, get your GSB buddies on it for a new fee. $15 million divided by 124,000 (31,000 students x 4 years) would be $120.96 a year in fees. No biggie...$60 a semester. Done! Election season is coming...2 Fanatics need to run for pres/vp of the student body....instead of the same old platforms of parking, communication to administration, tuition costs, and faculty evaluation.
    Actually, this would not be unprecedented, although in the current fiscal climate, I'm not sure it would be acceptable.

The bonds that were necessary to finance the construction of Hilton were secured and paid for with student fees. The GSB authorized this, and I believe it was in the 60's, but it may have been closer to when Dr. Hilton first propsed the entire Iowa State Center complex in 1954. Students paid a nominal fee (less than $20 per quarter then) to finance and pay off the bonds. These bonds were due to be retired in 2010. I never heard anything about whether or not they retired them on time, or early, but I would guess with the growth of ISU's enrollment over the years, they were probably retired early.

So, that may be a way to do the financing, although I am sure that probably has been considered. Again, with rising tuition and fee costs and budget problems, that may not be considered a viable option at this time.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    None of this is really new information, just phrased differently and clarified. Pollard has said similar in the past that at the current point we arent comfortable starting the project without either paying down the existing debt or having a major donor so that we can take on less debt.

What this does tell us? This is something still on the table. They have figures, theyve discussed plans for how to do it.. we're just waiting for the right time to do it. Thats a lot better than wouldve been said a few years ago.
    So if we pay $6M in bonding debt, what is the figure $100M in the hole?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by ElephantPie View Post
    Oklahoma. You were right about West Virginia.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 62

Build it and they will come!!1

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 983
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 124

I say we need to pay off all bonds first and let's build it when we have the cash in hand - no debts to build athletic facilities should be our goal. 6 million/year to borrow money? that's ridiculous. imagine what we could do with 6 million/year when those are paid off.

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    I say we need to pay off all bonds first and let's build it when we have the cash in hand - no debts to build athletic facilities should be our goal. 6 million/year to borrow money? that's ridiculous. imagine what we could do with 6 million/year when those are paid off.
    If your program is getting more than 6 million per year in benefit (both in revenue and success) in the time you are paying off that debt it is a good investment.

For the SEZ, for example you have to offset the amount of debt you are currently carrying; the revenue you can generate with the additional permanent seating; the additional amenities that would come with an end zone structure; the perception of the value that season ticket holders, occasional ticket buyers and donors have; the perception of the media, the regional populace and recruits (both athletic and simply academic) of ISU in relation to peer institutions, etc.

Borrowing money to invest in your organization is a pretty tried and true practice. What do you think the thousands of companies listed in the New York stock exchange and other stock markets are doing? They are selling shares to generate capital. They have to pay for that but it generally proves worth it to get the capital to grow their business.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    If your program is getting more than 6 million per year in benefit (both in revenue and success) in the time you are paying off that debt it is a good investment.

For the SEZ, for example you have to offset the amount of debt you are currently carrying; the revenue you can generate with the additional permanent seating; the additional amenities that would come with an end zone structure; the perception of the value that season ticket holders, occasional ticket buyers and donors have; the perception of the media, the regional populace and recruits (both athletic and simply academic) of ISU in relation to peer institutions, etc.

Borrowing money to invest in your organization is a pretty tried and true practice. What do you think the thousands of companies listed in the New York stock exchange and other stock markets are doing? They are selling shares to generate capital. They have to pay for that but it generally proves worth it to get the capital to grow their business.
    But Dave Ramsey told me all debt is the devil.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 23

No, all we have to do is fill the stadium. That should justify an expansion. Are you telling me the ISU president supports a position that results in less revenue? If so, everyone should be worried.
    The president supports a position of fiscal responsibility and understands that if ISU FB continues its current streak of three losing seasons, there will eventually be excess seating capacity in the current stadium configuration.

Also, please enlighten us as to how basketball and football are "different situations."
    One uses a round ball and one uses an oval shaped ball??? If you are referring to the construction of Hilton compared to the SEZ project...Hilton was an entirely new facility built to replace an aging and out-of-date basketball venue. The SEZ is a rearrangement/addition of seating to an existing functional facility.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,387
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by GoSTATE71 View Post
    Except Iowa state will likely never be much of a winning program. We've only ever won 9 games like what, 3 times at most? The culture has changed around Iowa State football, but sadly I don't think we'll ever be more then a 7 win team and competitive in close losses. Now everyone call me the debbie downer, but we had the most talented team this year we've had in a long time and still had a losing record and got absolutely humiliated by a C-USA team in a mediocre bowl game. Crowd support and fan support are fantastic right now, and it will continue to be great, but these awesome crowds we have will start to diminish when people realize this team will always max out at 5-7 wins
    Thanks Debbie Downer...

Jeez, did I accidentally log in to loserfanatic.com?

I think it extremely unlikely that ISU would ever be a BCS-level team, but there's no reason we couldn't be in the discussion for conference championships, 9-win seasons, etc. Fan support and success go hand in hand. Sure, it's a tough sell, but I believe we're doing the right things to be competitive. If Baylor can have a Heismann QB, then don't tell me ISU's ceiling is 7 wins.

Recruit
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 743
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I know it would be nice to have the expanded or closed in end zone.

but.....

Are people having trouble getting tickets to the games...... we have never had a problem buying an extra ticket for someone... no matter what game it is....
    I would say that until there are people struggling to get into a game.. . it will be hard to sell the extra tickets of the SEZ. That or they will be extremely cheap....
    I love the fact that we are at near full capacity now.. but I am not sure the demand for more seats is truly there yet.

Dusty