Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 18

President Leath on SEZ and conference realignment

My frat just had the president over for dinner and we managed to ask some good questions. His take on the end zone was what most people on here were assuming. He was very proud of our attendance this year, but the project will still take awhile. He said some things need to happen. First off, our team needs to win more to assure this is a good investment. Also, we currently pay around six million a year to finance debt, and that number would double if the project went through. He wants that number around four million before we start. He also said if someone wanted to donate 15 million he could work something out.

On conference realignment, he said he is leaving tomorrow morning to meet with the other presidents. Two conference schools want more teams now. The other eight are waiting for the right school to come along. The current rumor of Virginia Tech and Clemson isn't true, but Leath said that they would like to add those schools.

Just thought you guys would find that interesting.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 402

Re: President Leath on SEZ and conference realignment

Thanks for reporting. It is cool to hear from the Prez.

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 18

Also, sorry about the mens basketball classification. Thought I would say that before some jerk decides to point it out.

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

WHY IS THIS IN MEN'S BASKETBALL??????!!!!!!

Last edited by MJ271; 01-31-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by ISUagger View Post
    Also, sorry about the mens basketball classification. Thought I would say that before some jerk decides to point it out.
    now the nerds will just comment on how you're in a frat house instead...

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 700
    Given: 328

Quote Originally Posted by ISUagger View Post
    My frat just had the president over for dinner and we managed to ask some good questions. His take on the end zone was what most people on here were assuming. He was very proud of our attendance this year, but the project will still take awhile. He said some things need to happen. First off, our team needs to win more to assure this is a good investment. Also, we currently pay around six million a year to finance debt, and that number would double if the project went through. He wants that number around four million before we start. He also said if someone wanted to donate 15 million he could work something out.

On conference realignment, he said he is leaving tomorrow morning to meet with the other presidents. Two conference schools want more teams now. The other eight are waiting for the right school to come along. The current rumor of Virginia Tech and Clemson isn't true, but Leath said that they would like to add those schools.

Just thought you guys would find that interesting.
    I agree with everything except this.
    If our team wins more, say 8-9 games instead of 6-7 games, the AD will be losing a ton of money on lost ticket revenue. Our stadium is packed with record setting numbers with 6 win seasons, just think if we start winning 8-9 games. And that point if they finally decide to build it, they will have lost millions of dollars in lost revenue.

The only thing that should be considered with the SEZ is money. Who cares how many games we win so long as people show up. Hell, if we were going 2-10 year in and out, but we still sold out our games it would make sense to expand, even though we sucked.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    If our team wins more, say 8-9 games instead of 6-7 games, the AD will be losing a ton of money on lost ticket revenue. Our stadium is packed with record setting numbers with 6 win seasons, just think if we start winning 8-9 games. And that point if they finally decide to build it, they will have lost millions of dollars in lost revenue.

The only thing that should be considered with the SEZ is money. Who cares how many games we win so long as people show up. Hell, if we were going 2-10 year in and out, but we still sold out our games it would make sense to expand, even though we sucked.
    But at what point will people stop coming to games, if we keep winning the same amount of games every season. I know that I would still follow the team as much as physically possible, and support Rhoads and the team. But when will other people start not seeing 6 win seasons as overachieving, which it always will be

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 9

Except Iowa state will likely never be much of a winning program. We've only ever won 9 games like what, 3 times at most? The culture has changed around Iowa State football, but sadly I don't think we'll ever be more then a 7 win team and competitive in close losses. Now everyone call me the debbie downer, but we had the most talented team this year we've had in a long time and still had a losing record and got absolutely humiliated by a C-USA team in a mediocre bowl game. Crowd support and fan support are fantastic right now, and it will continue to be great, but these awesome crowds we have will start to diminish when people realize this team will always max out at 5-7 wins

DistrictCyclone

No offense, but I'm sure they've got the staff and the data to know what's a feasible investment and what's not.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 700
    Given: 328

Quote Originally Posted by MJ271 View Post
    But at what point will people stop coming to games, if we keep winning the same amount of games every season. I know that I would still follow the team as much as physically possible, and support Rhoads and the team. But when will other people start not seeing 6 win seasons as overachieving, which it always will be
    Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    No offense, but I'm sure they've got the staff and the data to know what's a feasible investment and what's not.
    I realize that, and I'm pretty sure JP said the only thing holding them back is money. If somebody gave JP $20 million today for the SEZ, I doubt he'd say "thanks, but keep that money and lets wait until we can start winning 8 games every year".

When Prepared, Fear No One.

DistrictCyclone

I realize that, and I'm pretty sure JP said the only thing holding them back is money. If somebody gave JP $20 million today for the SEZ, I doubt he'd say "thanks, but keep that money and lets wait until we can start winning 8 games every year".
    Didn't the OP say that Leath would "work something out" if they got a $15m donation? Of course it changes the issue if someone else is footing the bill.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 55

Disagree, if we went 2-10 every year people would not show up. I was a student when we had chances to go to the Big 12 title game and it was plenty empty.

Addict
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 402

Glad to hear that the Prez didn't avoid the issue. He seems like a standup guy.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    Disagree, if we went 2-10 every year people would not show up. I was a student when we had chances to go to the Big 12 title game and it was plenty empty.
    That's known as the Van De Velde Effect.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    I was one of the few who were there and can back this up. Fans are fickle.