Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 372

Boxing out and stopping backdoor passes

There are so many good things to say about this team, but it seems that there are a few things that we need to overcome to get to the next level. And they don't seem to have been discussed very much.

For several games, it seems that we need to do much better boxing out to prevent offensive rebounds.

During the second half of the Oklahoma State game, we got beat a few times by backdoor passes (or passes to a big guy open under the basket). Hopefully, this didn't expose something that will be exploited by other teams. I think this is what I would point to as "costing us the game," even though you really can't blame any one thing.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,556
    Given: 748

Re: Boxing out and stopping backdoor passes

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    There are so many good things to say about this team, but it seems that there are a few things that we need to overcome to get to the next level. And they don't seem to have been discussed very much.

For several games, it seems that we need to do much better boxing out to prevent offensive rebounds.

During the second half of the Oklahoma State game, we got beat a few times by backdoor passes (or passes to a big guy open under the basket). Hopefully, this didn't expose something that will be exploited by other teams. I think this is what I would point to as "costing us the game," even though you really can't blame any one thing.
    Every defense has a weakness, and I'm wondering if that is one of ours. We seem to extend pressure on the outside, possibly because Freddie likes to keep the other team from making threes as much as he likes us making them. In other news, I think we're much better this year at stopping penetration.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 8

The defense is bound to look silly every once in awhile when they are facing two 1st round draft picks. If KU is #1 in the conference talent wise then Oklahoma State is #1a.

Visit our blog for all things ISU...

www.ourtwosense.blogspot.com

Starter
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post

I think our defense looks pretty good for the most part. The offensive rebounds is very frustrating to watch though. I think one of the biggest problems this team has, especially on the road, is lazy turnovers. By that I mean turnovers that are from lack of focus or effort that lead to 4-8 points for the other team. Prevent these and ISU ends up on the winning side of these close games.

Addict
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 372

Quote Originally Posted by Cydwinder View Post
    I think our defense looks pretty good for the most part. The offensive rebounds is very frustrating to watch though. I think one of the biggest problems this team has, especially on the road, is lazy turnovers. By that I mean turnovers that are from lack of focus or effort that lead to 4-8 points for the other team. Prevent these and ISU ends up on the winning side of these close games.

Yeah, turnovers are key. And boxing out on the defensive boards. But last night was the first time that I remember us letting a team make passes right under the basket.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,155
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 0

The "backdoor" passes with the free guys running to the rim was a result of doubling the post. Most often it was our post on the opposite block coming to help. When you do that the backside guards better rotate down to take away that passing lane.

Of course, if Forte is in the opposite corner that backside guard will probably hesitate a little bit as to not leave him completely uncovered. Not uncommon for rotations to be slow at times but with our undersized front line and the possibility of doubling the post in the future it will be important to get that ironed out.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    The "backdoor" passes with the free guys running to the rim was a result of doubling the post. Most often it was our post on the opposite block coming to help. When you do that the backside guards better rotate down to take away that passing lane.

Of course, if Forte is in the opposite corner that backside guard will probably hesitate a little bit as to not leave him completely uncovered. Not uncommon for rotations to be slow at times but with our undersized front line and the possibility of doubling the post in the future it will be important to get that ironed out.

Spot on - if you noticed the last 6ish minutes the bigs did not full on double the entry pass as they did early in the 2nd half. This cause for some bigs to take 15 ft jumpers which they were not hitting at the same pace as the backdoor cuts. If ISU could have taken a couple of those posession and brought then down for 2 on the other end instead of a turn over or bad shot the game would have went a diffrent direction.

Smoke um if you got um

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

last year Hoiberg's team was 1st in defensive rebound % and 1st in 3FG% defense, our overall FG% defense was only 8th at 44.6%. These stats are for Big12 play. This year we are 4th for defensive rebound % and 4th for guarding the arc, while ranking 6th for overall defense at 43.6%.

Fred puts a premium on guarding the 3 pointer and finishing off the defense by getting the rebound. However our post defense hasn't always been so great, which I think is a function of personal as much as anything. We also generally don't play the passing lanes alot which can result in steals.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

Do many college teams box out well? More and more guys are not working as much around the basket much, instead they are getting into the lane from 10 to 15ft away to get rebounds. They are finding gaps to get the ball instead of manning up on a guy.

One things Hoiberg has been good at is finding a teams weakness and fixing his teams weaknesses.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne