Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why is everyone so surprised Iowa got beat by Western Michigan?

I was listening to Marty & Miller last night and Miller made a big deal about how he did not see the Iowa loss coming. The Hawk message boards and media all seem shocked that Iowa could lose to WMU. It seems to me that there is a lot of underestimation of just how bad Iowa was this year. In my opinion, they were a 3-4 win team that overachieved to win 6 games. Look at their losses in the Big Ten Indiana 38-20, Penn State 27-7 and Purdue 31-6. They were not even competitive. They lost to us when we were 0-2 with loses to Kent State and UNI and before their injuries occurred.

Now look at their wins in the Big Ten. Beating Illinois was a good win. I have to give them some credit but Zook coached a bad game, Illinois had a TD called back and it took an interception late in the game for the win. Against MSU, Iowa fell down 14-0 and had 30 yards of passing at the end of regulation. Against Northwestern, Iowa again went down 14-0 and needed 3 Northwestern turnovers including 2 interceptions on back to back possessions in the 4th quarter. Finally, against Minnesota, Iowa was shut out in the second half by the worst defense in DI this year. They needed to recover an onside kick by Minny to hang onto that win. In there last 3 wins, they only played a half of the game at best. The same thing happened against WMU except WMU continued to poor it on in the second half. Iowa should have be beaten by a couple touchdowns in that game. Iowa did not improve the entire season. I think it is amazing how bad they really were. A couple plays here and there and they are 3-9.

I will give Ferentz some credit. He did find a way to win several games (Illinois, MSU, and NW) that they really should have lost. I think that is one of his biggest strengths is that every year they win a couple games they should not have. I think that is a lot of the reason for the consecutive 10+ win seasons. They would also find a way to win a couple games they should have lost. Same thing this year but instead of taking them to 10 wins it gave them 6.

The other question I have is why does everyone keep saying that Ferentz is doing all that he can do in regards to the discipline problems. Is Douglass officially kicked off the team after 3 strikes (my space, charged with crime, plead guilty)? I realize he has not been found guilty of the CC theft yet but he was found guilty of shoplifting. Get rid of him and make a statement. How many times did Dana Brown get in trouble before getting the boot? It took his 3rd offense before he was kicked off. Finally, has Ferentz done anything to fix the problem with kids living in Pheasant Ridge? No. Iowa will continue to have legal problems until Ferentz and the athletic department get serious about what is going on.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Why is everyone so surprised Iowa got beat by Western Michigan?

the fixation with Iowa continues....

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I have $20 coming from a Squawkeye friend of mine who said Iowa wouldn't lose to W. Michigan in 100 years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    I have $20 coming from a Squawkeye friend of mine who said Iowa wouldn't lose to W. Michigan in 100 years.
    So he screwed himself in day 1 of the bet

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    So he screwed himself in day 1 of the bet
    This is the same guy who predicted 10 regular season EIU victories.

For those of you on the board who post something about EIU fixation every other day, just be aware that when you get Hawkeye fans running their mouths all summer long it is nice to throw something back in their face when it is over.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is the same guy who predicted 10 regular season EIU victories.

For those of you on the board who post something about EIU fixation every other day, just be aware that when you get Hawkeye fans running their mouths all summer long it is nice to throw something back in their face when it is over.
    My brother-in-law is die-hard. I know precisely what you mean.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,491
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 1

Maybe he meant that Iowa would not lose to Western Michigan during the 2107 season. Good luck collecting on that bet.

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Well he was screwed from day 1 since WMU beat Iowa in 2000.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Well he was screwed from day 1 since WMU beat Iowa in 2000.
    I will have to clarify my bet, but I think he was meaning 100 years from the day of the game, including that day. In any case, he is a EIU fan, I don't expect to get paid unless it is in smokes (the most accepted form of currency where most Hawkeyes reside).

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    the fixation with Iowa continues....
    Isn't this thread under "In-State Rivals"?

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 939
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 86

I agree Gary, I fully expected a close game last Saturday for Iowa. Not surprised at all that they lost, they've been below average most of the year, just getting by some average teams here and there along the way. Don't know why Marty/Miller were so surprised.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,953
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 39

Boy, I hate to defend them, but, here it goes. Typically, it's not all that hard to get wrapped up in a situation (i.e. the correlation between our new uni announcement and the assumptions by some that we'd be a bowl team this year). Anyways, after our game and the losses following, I think most hawk fans had a good idea of where their team stood. Then, a win here, a win there and all of a sudden, they are bowl eligible again with one game left. Looking at the prospect of a 7 win season, when you thought you sucked pumps some excitement and over inflated egos into the picture and you think you're good again. I'd say it even happened to some of us here with the KSU and CU wins. All of a sudden we had a shot at beating Kansas. Now, I'm the first to admit anything can happen on any given Saturday, but, there was a lot of talk of us beating Kansas. Is this any different than Iowa expecting to beat WMU? It's easy to getted hyped up. I hate to admit it, we do it all the time.

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    Boy, I hate to defend them, but, here it goes. Typically, it's not all that hard to get wrapped up in a situation (i.e. the correlation between our new uni announcement and the assumptions by some that we'd be a bowl team this year). Anyways, after our game and the losses following, I think most hawk fans had a good idea of where their team stood. Then, a win here, a win there and all of a sudden, they are bowl eligible again with one game left. Looking at the prospect of a 7 win season, when you thought you sucked pumps some excitement and over inflated egos into the picture and you think you're good again. I'd say it even happened to some of us here with the KSU and CU wins. All of a sudden we had a shot at beating Kansas. Now, I'm the first to admit anything can happen on any given Saturday, but, there was a lot of talk of us beating Kansas. Is this any different than Iowa expecting to beat WMU? It's easy to getted hyped up. I hate to admit it, we do it all the time.
    Well there's a big difference between thinking you might have a shot at beating a top 5 team and thinking you might have a shot at a 3-8 MAC team. Even we have a shot at beating a 3-8 MAC team.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well there's a big difference between thinking you might have a shot at beating a top 5 team and thinking you might have a shot at a 3-8 MAC team. Even we have a shot at beating a 3-8 MAC team.
    We even had a shot at beating a 5-6 MAC team - on the road no less.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,953
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 39

wow, and we call Iowa delusional, , sorry, you are right. I knew I'd get killed for trying to defend them and rightfully so, I suppose.

I guess I just don't want us to get out of control here. And I feel we've come close a couple of times. I think a lot of people were expecting this year to go better than it did, despite our thoughts at the end of last year. I'd just rather stay grounded. I don't want everyone going from, "ecstatic to be in a bowl game" To saying "We need to fire Chizik because he isn't winning all the games we expected." It's happened before, we're all people And I know it's usually the vocal minority that gets heard.