Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: ISU Wingtips?

  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 12,827, Level: 34
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 523
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CyTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    713
    Points
    12,827
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    ISU Wingtips?

    Here is for all of you who have ever wanted ISU wingtips. Design your own in time for March madness.

    Allen Edmonds Shoes - WebGems



  2. #2
    DistrictCyclone
    Guest

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Has AE jumped the shark?

    I haven't been impressed with AE's quality, which is supposed to be amazing. I bought a pair of cap-toes, wore them 2-3 times a week in pretty mild weather, and the soles were worn out with massive holes within 6 months. The heels (which appeared to be glued on) were pulling off within weeks. I sent them back to AE for recrafting, and the same thing happened the second time around. I took them to a local cobbler who used his preferred leather and nailed the heels on, and they're still in great shape almost 2 years later.

    My pair of Alden's, on the other hand, are still looking great after several years. They were a little more expensive upfront, but I haven't had to spend a dime on recrafting. I'm through with AE after this pair finally bites the dust.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 184,844, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9,657
    Points
    184,844
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 696
    Given: 582

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    Has AE jumped the shark?

    I haven't been impressed with AE's quality, which is supposed to be amazing. I bought a pair of cap-toes, wore them 2-3 times a week in pretty mild weather, and the soles were worn out with massive holes within 6 months. The heels (which appeared to be glued on) were pulling off within weeks. I sent them back to AE for recrafting, and the same thing happened the second time around. I took them to a local cobbler who used his preferred leather and nailed the heels on, and they're still in great shape almost 2 years later.

    My pair of Alden's, on the other hand, are still looking great after several years. They were a little more expensive upfront, but I haven't had to spend a dime on recrafting. I'm through with AE after this pair finally bites the dust.
    Let me get this straight: you have a cobbler?



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 146,251, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,727
    Points
    146,251
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 42

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Those are going to sell a ton in the south, where they still actually get dressed up for games...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  5. #5
    DistrictCyclone
    Guest

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Quote Originally Posted by CtownCyclone View Post
    Let me get this straight: you have a cobbler?
    You seem surprised?

    PS, I could see Bob Huggins or Rick Pitino going for a pair of these.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 176,906, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    mtown
    Posts
    12,703
    Points
    176,906
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,568
    Given: 2,557

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    I wear my AE's every day when weather permits. I have four pair and have never had a problem with any of them. My McAlisters get so many compliments I'm thinking about buying a pair with rubber sole for wintertime.

    Not sure if we've had a dressy thread but it may be a good time for an update.

    Edit - I have no problem dropping $200 on custom ISU shoes. Which is better...
    Attachment 17898

    actually, these might be better in the long run


    Last edited by mtowncyclone13; 01-31-2013 at 11:36 AM.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 414,827, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25,950
    Points
    414,827
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,376
    Given: 2,477

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Quote Originally Posted by CtownCyclone View Post
    Let me get this straight: you have a cobbler?

    This is becoming more and more common again. We have been such a throw-away type society when all we need is a stitch or rework on a shoe and various other clothes. Its much cheaper than buying new if you dont absolutely have to.



  8. #8
    DistrictCyclone
    Guest

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    This is becoming more and more common again. We have been such a throw-away type society when all we need is a stitch or rework on a shoe and various other clothes. Its much cheaper than buying new if you dont absolutely have to.
    I think it's always been pretty common, at least in cities large enough to support it; the guy I take mine to has been around since the 60s. The first time I saw a cobbler, though, I admit that my thought was "WTF, why do we still have cobblers in this day and age", haha.

    Leather-soled shoes are designed to be refurbished like this. The uppers can last for 10-20 years and are made so that a new sole can be added when it's worn out. There's a higher up-front cost for shoes like this, but they can actually be cheaper in the long-run, if properly cared for (and they look a hell of a lot better).



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 284,877, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,286
    Points
    284,877
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,016
    Given: 2,807

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Quote Originally Posted by CtownCyclone View Post
    Let me get this straight: you have a cobbler?
    You aren't a man unless you have a cobbler.

    Also, disappointed. The shoes on this site only go up to size 14, so I guess I won't be getting anything there. The shoes look pretty good.


    Quote Originally Posted by CMC
    last year proves anyone can play in the Big Ten West and win games. But if you want to play real football we are the midwest option in the Big 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    --- The new forums will have a version of CyBookie!

  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 176,906, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    mtown
    Posts
    12,703
    Points
    176,906
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,568
    Given: 2,557

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    You aren't a man unless you have this figurine on your mantle
    FIFY

    Attachment 17899



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 27,494, Level: 50
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Tri4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    654
    Points
    27,494
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 448

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    You aren't a man unless you have a cobbler.

    Also, disappointed. The shoes on this site only go up to size 14, so I guess I won't be getting anything there. The shoes look pretty good.
    and a tailor.


    "I'm not vain...I'm awesome" - Me

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 184,844, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9,657
    Points
    184,844
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 696
    Given: 582

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    You aren't a man unless you have a cobbler.

    Also, disappointed. The shoes on this site only go up to size 14, so I guess I won't be getting anything there. The shoes look pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri4Cy View Post
    and a tailor.
    I work at a chemical plant. Which means my employer provides my clothing (NOMEX) and footwear (steel toe boots). I have no use for either a tailor or a cobbler.


    Unless it's peach cobbler.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 176,906, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    mtown
    Posts
    12,703
    Points
    176,906
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,568
    Given: 2,557

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Ctown you never go to weddings or funerals? What about an anniversary dinner, etc?



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 184,844, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9,657
    Points
    184,844
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 696
    Given: 582

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    Ctown you never go to weddings or funerals? What about an anniversary dinner, etc?
    Not often enough to require a tailor. And I'm not married (yet), so no anniversary to worrry about!



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 146,251, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,727
    Points
    146,251
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 42

    Re: ISU Wingtips?

    Quote Originally Posted by CtownCyclone View Post
    I work at a chemical plant. Which means my employer provides my clothing (NOMEX) and footwear (steel toe boots). I have no use for either a tailor or a cobbler.


    Unless it's peach cobbler.
    I love peach cobbler!



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM