Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 62

Re: John Walters yelling at ref over radio

No way I put this on the players. They played a great game and were flat out screwed out of a win and frankly I am sick of it. I hope we win by 100 in the Hilton. BU, prepare that arse!

Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,230
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 120

Quote Originally Posted by BigLame View Post
    Did not think the game was any differently called than most games until the weird, late call on Ejim's blocked shot.
    Best is not to get to that point at all, but if we had Kansas or Duke on our uni's, then that call gets made.
    That was a crap foul on Ejim. He fell down - it's not like you can help where gravity takes you after jumping up.

If KU or Duke had our jerseys people might think we can close out games. Do we kidnap their payers come nightfall or what? How do we sneak McLemore out of Lawrence without anyone noticing?

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    You know, I understand all the ref bashing but we need to learn to close, regardless of what color undershirt the ref wears. We hit more free throws, we grab some more boards, and make layups and we win these close games. Refs don't stop your shots from going in. The thing that made me most upset is how they made ALL their +1 chances. Every shooting foul went in.
    I'm with ya... turnovers, rebounding, free throws all lead to a team winning. Play more disciplined basketball and that eliminates the opportunity of someone intervening. Funny how these things never seem to happen at home.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by BigLame View Post
    Did not think the game was any differently called than most games until the weird, late call on Ejim's blocked shot then the lack of the 5-second call. Cylburn played tight defense for the better part of 8 seconds. Crew totally missed it, and a novice could see it.

Best is not to get to that point at all, but if we had Kansas or Duke on our uni's, then that call gets made.
    Those are pretty much the main ones i had a problem with. We should not have gotten to that point, however. We gave up an 11 point lead in this game. That is something we need to avoid.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

I agree with the Ejim call being the starting point of it going downhill. It is totally under your control where you land/what another player does while your in the air. I relate that to crap late hit calls in football. I swear some refs blow their whistle and expect there to be an off switch that every player hits and they stop. Physics needs to be taught in officiating classes.

Addict
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,780
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 27

There were crap calls on both sides.

Bottomline: we have to learn to close-out games we are leading which includes clamping down on defense. We had some major lapses down the stretch that had nothing to do with the officials.

CCG

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 57

Walters yelled at the ref to "put the ball in play already". When we had 1.7 seconds left. You could tell he was totally frustrated with the ref. BTW those were not his exact words. I think it was pretty close to that though.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Speechless
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 560
    Given: 524

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    There were crap calls on both sides.

Bottomline: we have to learn to close-out games we are leading which includes clamping down on defense. We had some major lapses down the stretch that had nothing to do with the officials.

There were crap calls on both sides, but there was a complete imbalance in the way those calls went.

1-3 bad calls in a night is something. That happens. All night long is way too much and it dramatically affected the game.
    Our guys could have made a couple more plays. The officials could have made 20 less. Either one gets us the win, but the officiating last night tells me that the couple more plays end up called as fouls.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 341

I said this in another thread, but I think the Big 12 needs to address officiating. It isn't just that ISU is getting screwed (though we did last night). It just seems like it isn't good in general.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by westlbcyclone View Post
    If cyclones.tv shows a video replay of the game, I don't know if I actually want to watch it. When just listening on the radio, I didn't feel compelled to break things. Watching it, though, it sounds like I might want to kick my dog or something.

Does your dog wear a striped shirt?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    I said this in another thread, but I think the Big 12 needs to address officiating. It isn't just that ISU is getting screwed (though we did last night). It just seems like it isn't good in general.
    I'm betting the director of officials for the Big 12 is a little less biased and more subjective when it comes to evaluating officials. Truth be told, most fans make awful officials and regardless of what people think, these guys are the best at what they do. No matter how much training you give someone in a sport like basketball, there is far too much room for judgment calls. The best the Big 12 can do is get 3 like officials together. If there are 3 guys who like to let teams play, put them on a crew. If there are 3 who like the sound of their whistles, put them together. Try to get consistency within the crew to minimize issues. They're going to get calls wrong, but 95% of the time they're correct.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 341

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I'm betting the director of officials for the Big 12 is a little less biased and more subjective when it comes to evaluating officials. Truth be told, most fans make awful officials and regardless of what people think, these guys are the best at what they do. No matter how much training you give someone in a sport like basketball, there is far too much room for judgment calls. The best the Big 12 can do is get 3 like officials together. If there are 3 guys who like to let teams play, put them on a crew. If there are 3 who like the sound of their whistles, put them together. Try to get consistency within the crew to minimize issues. They're going to get calls wrong, but 95% of the time they're correct.
    Consistency would be nice. I do realize it is a difficult job, and a thankless one, but consistency is essential. Of course some games this year have been consistently bad on both sides.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Consistency would be nice. I do realize it is a difficult job, and a thankless one, but consistency is essential. Of course some games this year have been consistently bad on both sides.
    Officials are required to rewatch the games with the director of officials and justify each call that is made or not made so it isn't like they don't answer to anyone.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 11

I think there needs to be four refs on the floor(each corner of the floor). The game is too fast for three officials anymore. Adding two more eyes and covering each corner would help. The refs are out of position the majority of times or have a hard time getting in to position to make the right call.

Starter
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Officials are required to rewatch the games with the director of officials and justify each call that is made or not made so it isn't like they don't answer to anyone.
    I guess the most frustrating thing for me is even though they are technically accountable, we as fans never see that. I wish the refs had to go before the media after games just to explain their calls. Last night sucked, but it would have felt better if the refs were questioned about the late fouls and said they screwed up. No, it wouldn't have changed anything but it would be better for them to own up to their mistakes. At the very least I wish the would transcribe that conversation so we could see why they called what they did.