Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 89

Twister Sister Summary - Ladies collapse after holding 18 point lead.

This game would start on a good note offensively as the sisters would hit their first four shots in taking a 10-9 lead. All of the points would come from our inside players – Pop, Prins and Hal. Everything about this game through the first seven minutes was nearly even. Both teams worked for and got open looks at the basket. Both teams were rebounding on the defensive end. And both teams would have a sprinkling of turnovers. Natalie Knight, a sophomore was doing all the damage for KU. It seemed we were keeping the known threats

It was at this point, about 10 minutes in that the game would get messy. Missed shots, turnovers, sloppy play on defense. Both teams would struggle just a bit. Our ladies had multiple chances to get some distance and Kidd turned it over twice, Moody turned it over, and we just plain missed some shots. The ones that drive me nuts are the missed bunnies (yes, I said it again). Strangely, it took nearly 13 minutes for State to hit its first 3 of the night on only two attempts. This one would be by Brynn. Thankfully the streak continues.

This was definitely a half of getting one shot and if you missed you were headed to the defensive end. The ladies didn’t have a single offensive board at the five minute mark. Fortunately they were shooting nearly 60% from the field! That 3 of Brynn’s would be followed by some free throws by Hal and another 3 by Moody to extend the lead to 7 at 28-21. Things would slow down a bit with timeouts and fouls as the last few minutes seemed to drag. No flow allowed. Late in the half it would start to be the Moody show as she would show off her dash and slash stuff driving to the basket for a couple of baskets in a row. The last couple of minutes would go by with no scoring by either team and the ladies in red leading by 9, 34-25. The difference in the two teams? Free throws. KU was called for 9 fouls to ISU’s 4 and that led to 10-10 shooting for the Cyclones.

The second half started off a little slow with missed shots and turnovers for our ladies. At the 19 minute mark they would already have 14 turnovers on the night. Too many for an entire game let alone just more than a half. The first three possessions yielded nothing but heartache until Hal took a feed from Moody for a score and harm. The lead would extend to 11, 37-27. The lead would stretch further as Brynn would hit another three as the shot clock was expiring and Prins with an offensive board with a put back made the score 42-27. This would be the time to see if the ladies, with 15 minutes to go, had a killer instinct.

Suddenly, something potentially very bad happened. Moody picked up her third foul and went to the bench at the 15 minute mark. Kidd came in to direct the offense with a 14 point lead. Well, the ladies didn’t slow down. Even against full court pressure they moved the ball and found ways to score and within a couple of minutes the lead would be 17. Of particular note was a prayer shot by Fallon Ellis. She was trapped in the corner with a declining shot clock, threw it up and made it. Sometimes you just take luck when it shines your way.

The game went through a little transition as both teams started to commit some fouls and put each other on the line. Not only did Moody have 3, but Davis for KU would go to the bench with 4 at the 11 minute mark. That is huge. The ladies would be in the bonus the rest of the way. Practically in the same sentence, Hal would pick up her 3rd. Team depth anyone? With Davis on the bench State would power inside and after another basket by Prins, the lead would stretch out to 18 with 9 minutes left. Foul troubles started to crop up as Anna would then pick up her 3rd. Davis re-entered the game and I immediately hoped we could foul her out. Unfortunately, Moody would follow up with her 4th foul with ISU “clinging” to a 15 point lead.

With Moody on the bench KU would make a run at ISU as the offense went into a funk and the lead would drop to 11 before Brynn would hit a 3 to slow the bleeding. All of a sudden it was a bit of a shootout as ISU’s defense would become a leaky faucet and the offense would hit and miss. State really needed to get some defensive stops with only 4 minutes left. The slide would continue to happen as KU kept hitting shot after shot and ISU’s offense would be one and done. Just that quickly there was two minutes remaining and a 12-3 KU run would bring the lead down to 5. Crunch time…

A Moody turnover would give KU a breakaway layup and it was a 3 point game. With 33 seconds to go the offense would be VERY slow getting going and a shot clock violation gave KU the ball. And with 13 seconds to go KU would tie the game with a 3. More poor defense. Moody would lose the ball with 6 seconds left but State would retain possession. Rather than cashing in the ladies would turn the ball over and KU would travel. One more chance with 4 seconds left. Two inbounds attempts would result in 2 timeouts as no one got freed up. A miss by Hal and it would be overtime.

From there it would be KU continuing to put pressure on. Our defense kept leaving KU players open and we would trail most of the way. It just seemed this was a rerun of last year. What is it about Kansas and their innate ability to come back on Iowa State. In the end it came down to Kidd being out of control with 8 seconds left and a wild 3 point shot would end the misery with KU winning 78-75. Not the defense you would expect from Iowa State at all. The last 8 minutes were pure ugly by the ladies. KU would shoot 62% in the second half. Ouch.

I’m not going to talk about players of the game after this one. The total collapse in the second half pretty much negates any need. Last week I mentioned going 1-1 in these two road games would be ok. After seeing the first 30 minutes tonight and then seeing the last 10…I’m feeling incredibly disappointed. Our bench killed us and the only reason they got the chance to do that is the starters getting into foul trouble. As Coach Fennelly stated in the post-game, Moody’s fouls weren’t very smart. Her absence triggered the turnaround for KU more than any other. We have zero room for error at the point and she has to be smarter in her play. But this is a team loss and the shooting woes of our post players contributed mightily to this loss. This one gets spread all the way around including the coaching staff.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies collapse after holding 18 point lead.

Wow, quite a write up. I don't really have time to read the full thing tonight. I will finish it later. I appreciate the effort.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Prospect
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

No depth is on the coach. Women have 15 schollies and we rarely have over 12 on scholarship and we rarely play more than 7. Bill needs to recuit better. he is a great game coach, but he needs to do a better job recuiting. Take a few risks and try to convert a few non ISU culture types into our culture (and I'm not talking race, sex preference or anything like that). Maybe take a risk on a non honor role kid in HS.

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

CRUDD! I feel like I just walked into an anvil. Can't believe ISU lost this game. That was a mighty good lead to blow. I was at Lubbock watching BU & Tech. I saw the score with about 8 minutes left and I said "It's in the bag".

If this makes you'll feel any better, Tech did take a mortal beating tonight. When they come to Ames now they should have a little less salt in their satchel. Maybe that will help matters a little.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 257

No depth, similar to men's team. Each has about 5-6 dependable players and then it drops off.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.