Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

Re: Defense

i wish georges and ejim would stop the stupid "arms straight up i'm not fouling him but i really am" move. just move your feet and flop and we'd pick up 3-4 charges per game.

georges defense is actually pretty good - he moves his feet and is usually in good position. he's getting better and stopping his stupid fouls too. if booker or gibson moved like niang (sad but true) we'd have something.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 3

About the only defensive stat (conference stats only) where ISU fares pretty well is in the defense of the 3 pt. shot, where they rank 4th in the conference. I'm not sure that is a reflection of ISU's defense or the inability of the other team to hit from behind the arc.

ISU is dead last in both steals and blocked shots. On blocked shots.....it is not even close. The closet team to ISU in blocked shots has nearly twice as many.

I really think that every Division I MBB team has to have at least one 6 10 or above shot blocker on its team. That player does not have to start, but has to be available when defensive stops are needed. It doesn't mean that person will always block every shot, but even the threat of a block can change the other team's offensive plan. IMO, ISU has problems with its interior defense and a shot blocker could help that.

In regards to steals....that is all about your guards. ISU's are pretty well balanced in the number of steals, with McGee leading the team, but the others not far behind. Hopefully, the new recruits will be better at this. Monte seems to do well in that area, but then it is high school, so it is hard to judge his level of competition.

I think defense needs to be much more emphasized with ISU under CFH. It's interesting if you look at FH's stats from ISU. His first year.....he had 65 steals in 34 games (which is a better average per game than ISU currently averages AS A TEAM). By his senior year, that number had dropped steadily to 39 steals in 34 games, probably a reflection of Orr's emphasis on offense rather than defense. Maybe that same attitude exists today.

Obviously a great offense will win you a lot of games. However, there are other good offensive teams out there, and sometimes a little more defense is necessary. Several of these losses (if not all of them) could have been wins if ISU had the capability of shutting down another team even for a few possessions at a critical time in the game.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    The worst ISU team on defense that I have seen is still the 2005-06 season (Wayne Morgan's last year). That really was awful.
    That was bad defense....like no defense...we want to get the ball back for offense...

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 31

We can all talk about shot blockers, etc. but I don't think that's the problem. Remember the Butler's teams a couple years ago that went to the National Championship game, they played great defense, but they didn't have a lot of steals or blocked shots if I remember correctly. Instead they just played good fundamental defense. Stay low, hand in the face, move your feet, hedge screens, rotate when a player has to help or double team, box out and rebound.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 703
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 428

Well, for the people who wanted Tyrus to start ahead of Babb, defense is the reason Babb starts. As much offensive punch as Tyrus gives us, he is not great on defense.

Prospect
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You know your team defense is bad when you are secretly hoping for an early foul in a tie-game situation where the other team is holding for the last shot.

Did anyone else feel the same way? Would've almost rather been down 2 with 20 seconds with the ball than tied while praying they don't get a bucket to win. I know its not rational and you can never intentionally foul there, but our offense was unstoppable.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,159
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 24

The defense was bad during those last 7 minutes or so. One key turning point was when someone for Ok St. was driving through the lane so Lucious, instead of staying out on Paige Jr. decides to drop down and help, leaving the 3-point shot wide open and he buries it. Just little things like knowing who you're guarding...you don't leave that little white guy open outside, how hard is that??

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by carvers4math View Post
    Well, for the people who wanted Tyrus to start ahead of Babb, defense is the reason Babb starts. As much offensive punch as Tyrus gives us, he is not great on defense.
    Try to rank the players for defense?
    Babb>GN>ME>WC>KL>TM>Booker>Bubu>Percy>Rulzzz

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,063
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    We can all talk about shot blockers, etc. but I don't think that's the problem. Remember the Butler's teams a couple years ago that went to the National Championship game, they played great defense, but they didn't have a lot of steals or blocked shots if I remember correctly. Instead they just played good fundamental defense. Stay low, hand in the face, move your feet, hedge screens, rotate when a player has to help or double team, box out and rebound.
    Agree.....defense is about sticking with your guy, hustling, smart switches, etc. I actually would prefer we only try to block shots if the guy is good at it. I hate when someone averages 1 block per 5 fouls.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Your player evaluations of defense are more terrible than Ejim's 4th foul last night.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 2

Fred played three years for Johnny and one for Tim Floyd. The first coach was all offense the other all defense. I think it is too bad he did not learn under Larry E. Larry taught defense but new the value of having more points than your opponent.

If you look at our rebounding, that's a defensive stat for the most part. We are not too bad. Where we tend to fall down is allowing opposing teams to score too many points. I think we are near the bottom of the Big 12 in points allowed per game. Some of that can be attributed to our style of offense. We get out and move the ball up the court, that gives our opponents more possessions. Our players are not making opponents take uncomfortable shots, and our guards are weak defensively in my opinion. The possible exception to this may be Bubu P. and of course Babb.

As time goes on I think we will see whether the reason our defense is less than sterling is because of the players ( I think most players would prefer to concentrate on offense as opposed to defense) or because of coaching style. The one glaring fault I would like to see this team correct concerns Korie L.. After he gets beat defensively our next trip down to our end of the court more times than not will be Korie L one on five, trying to get it back single handedly. It usually results in a four point swing advantage to the other team. That hurts. I thought there were times we played some good defense last night and got stops. We just needed more of them.

Last edited by Bestaluckcy; 01-31-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 703
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 428

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Agree on the first three for sure. After that, I just don't know. Clyburn got burned baseline several times last night, although it was that one really good player they had. I think Bubu's defense is better than several you have ahead of him, in particular Lucious. I used to think Booker's defense was OK and he got called for fouls other guys don't, but haven't seen much of him this year at all. But I think Tyrus' defense is the worst of the not Percy/Booker guys. Nothing against Tyrus, love him on offense, but it is what it is.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 80

We have a couple guys who really struggle on defense, mainly Clyburn and McGee but last nights game was more about Okie St just being more athletic. They just seemed to be a step quicker at every position and it led to some easy buckets. This isn't really a knock on our guys, Okie St may be the most athletic team in our conference.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 436

For most of the game it was OSU 2 - ISU 0.

Number of McDonalds All Americans on the court.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Starter
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Wow some people here have pretty low standard for defense

No way should a team that shoots over 50% from the floor for the game and goes 13-24 from 3pt land lose.

Our guys play some of the WORST on ball defense of BCS teams I've seen this year. Guys just don't move their feet welland we do too much reaching. Plus I don't think we play smart defense to the situation. Lasr night Smarts game winning shot was a prime example. No way should Will have been that tight. Let Smart shoot the 3, but the one thing that can't happen is getting beat on the dribbleor fighting through the high pick! Will needed to go under.

I know Fred is selling an uptempo/NBA style offense- but championship teams and road games are won by solid defense, rebounding and getting to the line.