Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 26,553, Level: 50
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,881
    Points
    26,553
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    I've been keeping my eye on this case for a while as it's been working through the courts system for a while now. Basically former UCLA BB player Ed O'Bannon is leading a lawsuit on behalf of former NCAA athletes saying that schools and the NCAA continue to profit off of their rebroadcasts of old games, merchandise, and their likeness from their playing days. Apparently now that the current players are seeing these multi-billion dollar TV deals, the lawyers decide to see if they could add current television liabilities for current players to their claim instead of just for rebroadcasts. Word is out that the court said that is allowed.

    Whether this case has any merit or not, I have no idea, but the potential is there for this to revolutionize college sports. I've read a couple articles a while back that there are a lot of nervous folks about this lawsuit. The article says that a trial date has been set for June 2014 if it goes to trial.

    Here is one quote from the ESPN article:

    Now the (NCAA and its co-defendants) are facing potential liability in the billions of dollars instead of tens or hundreds of millions. It's a more accurate context for what the players deserve.

    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...levision-money



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 390,153, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    56,821
    Points
    390,153
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 241

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    NCAA would go under if it lost.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 90,697, Level: 93
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,442
    Points
    90,697
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 251
    Given: 201

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    wouldn't this potentially affect broadcasts of high school sports where athletes aren't paid, the olympics where athletes aren't paid, etc? Don't you sign away your right to compensation when you get a scholarship? If actors are paid for sitcom reruns athletes should be paid for game rebroadcasts.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 404,687, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,060
    Points
    404,687
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 100

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    I dont see how the players 'deserve' anything. They have agreed that in exchange for free tuition, room and board plus stipend for other expenses, they will play football\basketball (and all that entails, including television broadcasts of those gamess) for the university. That benefit is worth a decent amount for someone without a college degree and work experience.

    Most of them arent at an ability level to go pro after high school, so who else is going to give them more than what the schools are?



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 26,553, Level: 50
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,881
    Points
    26,553
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    wouldn't this potentially affect broadcasts of high school sports where athletes aren't paid, the olympics where athletes aren't paid, etc? Don't you sign away your right to compensation when you get a scholarship? If actors are paid for sitcom reruns athletes should be paid for game rebroadcasts.
    I don't know. Do you sign away your right to compensation? If so, then why are increasing stipends for extra compensation beyond tuition and housing continually discussed?

    On a separate but related note, I know that taping of professors teaching online classes is a touchy subject in some circles because some colleges want to be able to rebroadcast that professor's lectures forever without regular compensation when the school repeatedly benefits from their one-time work, and some professors are unwilling to sign such an agreement. I think it's a similar yet different deal here. If an athlete did accept an agreement to pay for a free education, did they also sign away their right for the NCAA to benefit from their "work" into perpetuity?

    At the end of the day, all this exponentially increasing influx of money into the NCAA system makes for some really hard decisions which nobody ever could've seen coming 50 years ago. Sometimes I wish life was simpler.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 90,697, Level: 93
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,442
    Points
    90,697
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 251
    Given: 201

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    Good question about the professor. Is the professor creating a body of work out of thin air, like a musician, in which every rebroadcast is compensated, or are they paid to create a product for a company, like an inventor working for 3M? Part of me says the author of a textbook gets paid one time (not per class) so what's the difference. A college that has a video lecture from 1999 will not receive nearly the same marks as one with a lecture from 2012.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 355,706, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,871
    Points
    355,706
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 37

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    Fine. If athletes think they "deserve" more than what they are getting we can remove scholarships all together. The schools should only have to pay according how the athlete performs. I mean that's only fair. So, Johnny Manziel, he will make bank. Some third string safety who doesn't step on the field but for 3 plays a game can get, oh, I don't know, $1000. This who frickin thing is ridiculous and will ruin college sports because a bunch of people think kids getting about $40,000 a year in compensation aren't getting paid enough. That's not even to mention all the help they get with school and all the other perks they get that no normal student gets. They get all of this no matter their major. I understand they put in a lot of hours. There is, however, no job for a college student in Ames that will generate the return an athlete gets from playing a game. I loved talking to the athletes and the vast majority of them are great people who work for what they get. I see no reason for them to get more than what they are getting. I would also ask where you draw the line here.

    In 5-10 years, I would guess I will not be much of a college sports fan. That's really sad but I don't watch pro sports the way it is and college will simply be a development league instead of what it is. Back to watching golf where the athletes only make money by performing.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 201,570, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,660
    Points
    201,570
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 25

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Fine. If athletes think they "deserve" more than what they are getting we can remove scholarships all together. The schools should only have to pay according how the athlete performs. I mean that's only fair. So, Johnny Manziel, he will make bank. Some third string safety who doesn't step on the field but for 3 plays a game can get, oh, I don't know, $1000. This who frickin thing is ridiculous and will ruin college sports because a bunch of people think kids getting about $40,000 a year in compensation aren't getting paid enough. That's not even to mention all the help they get with school and all the other perks they get that no normal student gets. They get all of this no matter their major. I understand they put in a lot of hours. There is, however, no job for a college student in Ames that will generate the return an athlete gets from playing a game. I loved talking to the athletes and the vast majority of them are great people who work for what they get. I see no reason for them to get more than what they are getting. I would also ask where you draw the line here.

    In 5-10 years, I would guess I will not be much of a college sports fan. That's really sad but I don't watch pro sports the way it is and college will simply be a development league instead of what it is. Back to watching golf where the athletes only make money by performing.
    I thought this trial was about the bold below:

    Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    On a separate but related note, I know that taping of professors teaching online classes is a touchy subject in some circles because some colleges want to be able to rebroadcast that professor's lectures forever without regular compensation when the school repeatedly benefits from their one-time work, and some professors are unwilling to sign such an agreement. I think it's a similar yet different deal here. If an athlete did accept an agreement to pay for a free education, did they also sign away their right for the NCAA to benefit from their "work" into perpetuity?

    At the end of the day, all this exponentially increasing influx of money into the NCAA system makes for some really hard decisions which nobody ever could've seen coming 50 years ago. Sometimes I wish life was simpler.
    Not so much about the current athletes but the ones that are done and their image is worth something.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 404,687, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,060
    Points
    404,687
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 100

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    wouldn't this potentially affect broadcasts of high school sports where athletes aren't paid, the olympics where athletes aren't paid, etc? Don't you sign away your right to compensation when you get a scholarship? If actors are paid for sitcom reruns athletes should be paid for game rebroadcasts.
    Actors are only paid for reruns because that is established upfront in their contract.

    I think the Screen Actors Guild has gotten residuals negotiated into those contracts, but that doesnt mean everyone in entertainment gets those.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 187,169, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,270
    Points
    187,169
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 74

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    If they want to pay college athletes, they need to add $5 to the price of clothing sold and put it in a pot for the athletes, if they graduate. If you paid them while in college 95% of them would blow the money on something stupid.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 404,687, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,060
    Points
    404,687
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 100

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    If they want to pay college athletes, they need to add $5 to the price of clothing sold and put it in a pot for the athletes, if they graduate. If you paid them while in college 95% of them would blow the money on something stupid.
    That's actually a decent idea. "graduation bonus". Once one graduates or finishes their last semester of eligibility (if they were playing after graduation) with acceptable marks, they get a bonus for living up to the academic standards. Could help with some of those that check out for their last semester.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 36,742, Level: 59
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,108
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CapnCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,293
    Points
    36,742
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 100

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    That's actually a decent idea. "graduation bonus". Once one graduates or finishes their last semester of eligibility (if they were playing after graduation) with acceptable marks, they get a bonus for living up to the academic standards. Could help with some of those that check out for their last semester.
    Very good idea, actually.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 57,284, Level: 74
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    MissouriCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,195
    Points
    57,284
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    They know what they signed up for. No one was holding a gun to their heads when they signed their scholarship. They chose the path of being a student athlete. Deal with it.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 64,016, Level: 78
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    demoncore1031's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque,NM
    Posts
    5,398
    Points
    64,016
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 83

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCyclone View Post
    They know what they signed up for. No one was holding a gun to their heads when they signed their scholarship. They chose the path of being a student athlete. Deal with it.
    exactly!!


    This is Ophion speaking.

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 29,981, Level: 53
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 869
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    JohnnyFive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,176
    Points
    29,981
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 82

    Re: NCAA lawsuit with potential to shake up college sports

    If this goes through does the NCAA basically become a watered down version of pro sports? Best players to the highest bidder? Luxury taxes? Texas, Notre Dame ect. become the Yankees?

    Good-bye parody. Hello (probably way more) corruption.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM